PDA

View Full Version : HeLP Big Oil Leak

VTEC96
23-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Today im driving and my oil light comes on, i just did an oil change last week. I pulled over and checked it out, a small puddle of oil was under my car, I checked the level and it was low. While the car is running oil leaks out at a fast rate, but doesnt leak after it is turned off. It is leaking from the passanger side, somewhere below and behind the timing belt cover....any ideas...the only thing that came to mind is the crank seal? Anyone know how to get to the seal to replace it. thanks

oh its an auto vti-s if that helps thanks

Type R Positive
23-11-2004, 02:57 PM
It sounds like the seal behind the drive shaft. It is easy to pull the driveshaft out and check. Get a gregory's manual from k-mart, they are cheap enough and it will show you exactly what to do.

A mechanic will rape you but it would be good to see someone who knows what they are doing. If you do it your self, remember to mark your camber allignment position before you remove the bolts.

h22a accord
23-11-2004, 04:00 PM
shit aye, i didnt know camber alignment was adjustable on a 5th gen hence why you buy camber kits to make it adjustable.

Anyway, yeh, put it on ramps and get under it to see the leak. even better, clean the oil off and then check to see where the new oil is coming from.

i highly doubt its a driveshaft seal because the passenger side of the car has a drive shaft and an intermediate shaft so if it is the drive shaft seal is leaking it wouldnt be on the passenger side of the car , it would be at the diff housing which is closer to the drivers side of the car as you can actually remove the passengers side drive shaft without draining the gearbox oil and you will have no leaks.

anyway, im 99% sure its the oil pump because that is right in the vicinity of the leak you have and it only leaks when the car is running.

its quite a big job to replace, you have to remove both the timing and balance shaft belt, oil pan , oil pick up assembly then unbolt the oil pump housing from the engine block before you get a chance to inspect it.

expect to pay big dollars to get this fixed.

urtwhistle
23-11-2004, 04:25 PM
how about checking the oil filter, when u did ya service u might not have put it up real tight and its leaking while under load.
the oil might be running along somethign then dripping from there.

VTEC96
23-11-2004, 07:04 PM
i spent most of the day stripping half the engine found out wat the problem was, not sure what its called but its either the crank or oil pump seal, it was poped out of place. Called honda they said all seals are about 20 buks so all good there. They dude also said that 5th gen accords had a call back on a balance seal or something meant to have a plate to hold it in. You can still get it done call up honda give them your engine and chassis number if it has not been done yet then they can book your 5th gen in and get it fixed. heres a pic of where the seal poped out of place. Oh has i had bit of the motor pulled apart today i sprayed the rocker cover looks tuff as il post some pics.

VTEC96
23-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Heres a pic of where the seal came out to give me headaches lol where the light is shinning.

http://www.coresupreme.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10051/Image033.jpg

VTEC96
23-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Thanks ppl for the help earlier today i was stressin bad lol all good though. I also called up a mechanic just to see how much he would have charged me. I saved about 650 lol so im wrapt oh here is the pic of my SOHC red rocker cover i just put it all togeather still a bit fresh lol

http://www.coresupreme.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10051/Image037.jpg

ECU-MAN
23-11-2004, 09:26 PM
good find dude, also make sure you change your timming and balance belt coz they got oil soaked.

edw-R
25-11-2004, 01:48 AM
check your filter, check your head gaskit, check oil pan. Normal gaskit burn out.

h22a accord
25-11-2004, 07:30 AM
glad to hear it wasnt a major problem after all. Good work on the DIY fix!! it would have been a bitch if it actually was an oil pump problem.