PDA

View Full Version : EG Heating up when idle

vodkashot
16-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Hi all!

I seem to have abit of problem with my EG. After driving +1 hours my temps fly up when I am idle (at a traffic light, etc) but when I start driving again they crawl back down. I have flushed and cleaned the system and the fan is working fine. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what exactly might be wrong?

Cheers!

Vodka

[[d a n n y]]
16-11-2009, 09:36 AM
might want to change your radiator

vtecster
16-11-2009, 10:32 AM
i got the same prob.. did a flush changed thermostat and hoses still the same.. i would like to know this as well

wynode
16-11-2009, 12:52 PM
If you've flushed the cooling system and confirmed that the thermo fan is coming on when idle then I'd suggest:
- Possible thermostat problem. Might have to change it if it's not opening up.
- Possible clogged radiator

quangsuke
16-11-2009, 05:57 PM
good chance it being clogged you would need to clean and flush out the congested rust that has developed on the inside.
if it is the thermostat you can pick one up at super cheap and u would also need a new head gasket.

JDM.Power
16-11-2009, 06:06 PM
let the car idle, and touch your lower hose, see if its hot or cold.
if its cold your thermostat is not opening up, which will cause your headgasked to die out aswell.
for your thermostat not to open up its either old or you did not bleed the coolant properly.
you still may have air in your radiator

so get your thermostat take it out, boil some water and put it in a bucket with the thermostat and see if it opens up abit. if it doesnt just go buy a new one,
bleed the system properly with the cap off and car idling for a while.

vodkashot
16-11-2009, 09:46 PM
let the car idle, and touch your lower hose, see if its hot or cold.
if its cold your thermostat is not opening up, which will cause your headgasked to die out aswell.
for your thermostat not to open up its either old or you did not bleed the coolant properly.
you still may have air in your radiator

so get your thermostat take it out, boil some water and put it in a bucket with the thermostat and see if it opens up abit. if it doesnt just go buy a new one,
bleed the system properly with the cap off and car idling for a while.

Wow! Im going to try that!

wynode
16-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Here's a DYI on doing a coolant flush. FOllow it and you should be fine.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11430&highlight=coolant+flush

Couges
18-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Easy.

Replace your stuck half open thermostat and gasket.

Also if it doesn't tell you anywhere, make sure when you are bleeding the system once refilled, have the heater tap open.

mugenrr
19-11-2009, 08:40 AM
sounds like the thermo stat is stuck open,

so the coolant is just passing through constantly and while your driving it stays cool because the car is moving but once you stop , there's no wind cooling down the radiator.

id say to change the thermostat and re-bleed coolant since it's reletively cheap and if problem persists then try something else

pinoy-boi
19-11-2009, 04:36 PM
sounds like the thermo stat is stuck open,

so the coolant is just passing through constantly and while your driving it stays cool because the car is moving but once you stop , there's no wind cooling down the radiator.

id say to change the thermostat and re-bleed coolant since it's reletively cheap and if problem persists then try something else

If the thermostat is stuck open then he wuldnt hve overheating problems. it wuld just take a long time to warm up. if it was partially stuck open, that wuld explain wat u hve just suggested..... as for no wind passing through the radiator.. thats wat the thermo fans are for lol

vodkashot
19-11-2009, 04:54 PM
****ING EMERGENCY

I snapped off the head of one of the bolts on the thermostat housing.

WHAT DO I DO?!

2MPRS
19-11-2009, 05:14 PM
did the same thing when I was changing mine. There is a few tools to get it out but if you live in sydney just go pick and payless I got a housing for 20bucks

vodkashot
19-11-2009, 06:46 PM
what did you use to get it out? Was it hard to change the housing?

2MPRS
19-11-2009, 09:21 PM
i forgot the name of the tools but u drill them into the nut pretty much use them as the head. umm it was pretty easy acutally its like 2 screws for the front and another 2 for the back of the housing.

bossy_civic
22-11-2009, 05:17 PM
your thermo fans might be cutting in too late maybe?

2MPRS
22-11-2009, 06:06 PM
your thermo fans might be cutting in too late maybe?
Even if it did cut in too late it would still cool the car down when its idle.