PDA

View Full Version : How to re-glue headlight back onto the housing

redmugenjazz
17-11-2009, 05:40 PM
so i just picked up myself a set of hid projectors from another member on the forum and i found that the plastic is foggy on the inside. I decided to remove the plastic off by prying along the edges. it came off nicely and i sanded it down and cut polished rar rar rar. its like new now but i got no idea what kind of glue to reseal it with. i was thinking roofing and guttering silicone but i think it needs to be flexible to some degree? or is there a glue i can buy from honda which is the exact same stuff it came with from factory?

Chriskoss
17-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Not sure what you need to use, i remember its been covered. Check the DIY section for restoring headlights, someone says what to use in there. But dont use normal silicone because I think it sets too hard and if by some chance you need to take apart the housing youll have great trouble doing it with silicone

beeza
17-11-2009, 06:07 PM
I just used normal silicone when I did my headlights 3 years ago,still all good,not a problem!

redmugenjazz
17-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Not sure what you need to use, i remember its been covered. Check the DIY section for restoring headlights, someone says what to use in there. But dont use normal silicone because I think it sets too hard and if by some chance you need to take apart the housing youll have great trouble doing it with silicone

totally agree, i already checked the diy section its all about polishing the exterior nothing about doing it internally. ie requiring to dissamble the unit. the glue's like very sticky very stretchy porous silicone stuff,

burner42
17-11-2009, 06:43 PM
remember that you might need to redo it, so choose something that has a good seal, but at the same time allows you take it apart again

blabla
17-11-2009, 06:47 PM
totally agree, i already checked the diy section its all about polishing the exterior nothing about doing it internally. ie requiring to dissamble the unit. the glue's like very sticky very stretchy porous silicone stuff,

i got some automotive silicon from bunnings used that and i used selly's all clear try that. after it cured i tested them to see if any water gets in resulted in being ZERO leeks.

redmugenjazz
17-11-2009, 07:08 PM
i got some automotive silicon from bunnings used that and i used selly's all clear try that. after it cured i tested them to see if any water gets in resulted in being ZERO leeks.

silicone is best sealant, and gives the best seal but thing is it might provide such a good seal it'll be a bitch to take apart if something happens l8r dwn the track.

redmugenjazz
17-11-2009, 07:10 PM
remember that you might need to redo it, so choose something that has a good seal, but at the same time allows you take it apart again

same thing happened on freinds ek, its now leaking cause of a dodgey job. i wanted to help him take it appart but its gone full hard. lol. i searched online and there nothing suitable aswell. they all say use silicone. :(

beeza
17-11-2009, 07:11 PM
If your headlight does fog up,you can just re-apply more silicone to seal it.No need to pull it apart.

Dreams
17-11-2009, 08:40 PM
id suggest you clean up the old silicone first, that taiwan silicone stuck on those projectors is nasty and prone to cause leaks.

quangsuke
19-11-2009, 09:36 AM
hopefully this link my help.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=764924&mid=0&nmt=Headlight%20glue?%20Unit%20has%20popped%20out

redmugenjazz
19-11-2009, 10:53 AM
hopefully this link my help.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=764924&mid=0&nmt=Headlight%20glue?%20Unit%20has%20popped%20out

awesome, thanks dude, i read up on the manufacture's home page i reckon the sikalastomer 710 or 711 works better since its formulated for the automotive industry, but where can i get my hands on some, bunnings? i'll shop around when exams are over.

blabla
19-11-2009, 07:34 PM
id suggest you clean up the old silicone first, that taiwan silicone stuck on those projectors is nasty and prone to cause leaks.

I totally agree with this because my projectors are leaking. I used the automotive silcon on some oem ones.

redmugenjazz
19-11-2009, 08:16 PM
I totally agree with this because my projectors are leaking. I used the automotive silcon on some oem ones.

the current ones look to me like soft silicone than oem which looks like butyl rubber.

quangsuke
20-11-2009, 09:55 PM
awesome, thanks dude, i read up on the manufacture's home page i reckon the sikalastomer 710 or 711 works better since its formulated for the automotive industry, but where can i get my hands on some, bunnings? i'll shop around when exams are over.

yeah most likely you should be able to pick it up from one of those stores. if u want to the hassle you can buy it on ebay. depends how urgent u want it. goodluck :thumbsup:

xclusive_eg8
21-11-2009, 12:33 AM
petrol does a decent slowish job of removing silicone, still takes effort from u, but helps