PDA

View Full Version : Vtec controller for S2000

Redsuns88
18-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Hi all,

just wondering what is the best Vtec controller on the market ?

is it still A'pexi or HKS for a S2000?

Is it easy to install or difficult? :wave:

STAiN MASTER
18-11-2009, 08:56 PM
No point in lowering vtec engagement, mine is set too 4,800rpms and now I think my cam is making weird noises, im in the middle of changing it as we speak...the vtec point not the cam.

I tried 5,800rpms and it did make less of a noise then when it was at 4,800rpms

miGz.
18-11-2009, 10:32 PM
hey stain master did u notice a big difference when you changed your vtec engagement lower?

slimx
18-11-2009, 11:52 PM
a friend of myns got that apexi controller for his s2k it runs great but as stain master is saying my mate also is having heaps'a new problems popping up here and there..

setting it lower thrashes the car a hell alot more, yes s2k is a high quality car but .. every car has its limits

STAiN MASTER
19-11-2009, 11:26 AM
hey stain master did u notice a big difference when you changed your vtec engagement lower?

There wasn't a big difference a slight surge of power down low nothing to brag about.

Redsuns88
19-11-2009, 01:03 PM
i was wondering because i was doing to do a whole selection of mods with a proper retune.. so i was seeing what is better:)

ludecrs
20-11-2009, 01:37 PM
No point in lowering vtec engagement, mine is set too 4,800rpms and now I think my cam is making weird noises, im in the middle of changing it as we speak...the vtec point not the cam.

I tried 5,800rpms and it did make less of a noise then when it was at 4,800rpms

Hate to be an I told you so, but... :p

Hope it all works out!

Can you let me know how you go? Reason I ask is because my most recent re-tune (from Toda) has the engagement set lower than my preferred choice.

JAP-S2K
20-11-2009, 01:41 PM
On the dyno, changing Vtec point only resulted in power loss. Anything lower than about 5700 and we were seeing negative results. At the time only mods on car was intake/ exhaust.

Not worth doing unless your've got yourself some cams and ECU. Even then it may not be worth doing.

ludecrs
20-11-2009, 01:44 PM
^^

I'm still of that opinion.

STAiN MASTER
20-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Ludecrs: How low did he set it at? I haven't had time yet to play with it, ill look at it tonight and let you know. Im going too set it at around 5500.

JAPS2K: I gained power on the dyno when lowering the Vtec point, also depends on your mods but its not safe setting it so low on stock cams. what was happening was at 4,800 around 30% throttle vtec was cutting in but since my foot wasn't flat on the gas it wasn't burning the fuel so I'd get loss of power just at the vtec crossing over point, but when my foot was flat like on the track I had no issues, even tho my mods could handle the A/F ratio its not healthy for the cam.

Redsuns88
20-11-2009, 02:31 PM
All you guys are running stock cams/shalfts are you?.. that are having this problem with vtec engagement at lower rpm?

ludecrs
20-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Ludecrs: How low did he set it at? I haven't had time yet to play with it, ill look at it tonight and let you know. Im going too set it at around 5500.

From memory 3,9.

I'm going to leave it for the time being as I need another tune in about a month anyway since I'm venturing further into FI, so its no biggie at the moment. I just don't like it set so low on OEM cams, they just aren't made for it. If they were, OEM vtec engagement would be set at or around those perameters, which its not.

STAiN MASTER
20-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Yes I am running stock cams :)

JAP-S2K
20-11-2009, 02:40 PM
I wasn't expecting any gains, more for shits and giggles. Fact is the Hi lobes aren't designed to make power or torque at the factory engagement point. Hence why the make peak power and torque near redline.
I found by lowering the engagement point on the controller, the factory ECU didn't compensate and add more fuel, it was leaning out, still safe though, but nevertheless leaning out. So i scrapped it.

To be honest i've seen v-tec contollers on a few other honda engines. And i've never seen them lowered more than 200-300rpm as they didn't make more power. Seriously if there was power to be had, Honda would have done it.

JAP-S2K
20-11-2009, 02:43 PM
From memory 3,9.

I'm going to leave it for the time being as I need another tune in about a month anyway since I'm venturing further into FI, so its no biggie at the moment. I just don't like it set so low on OEM cams, they just aren't made for it. If they were, OEM vtec engagement would be set at or around those perameters, which its not.

FI is a different thing, as engaging Vtec earlier can/will causes greater airflow in and out of the motor. Thus more power.:thumbsup:

Redsuns88
20-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Yea tru,

I was thinking of mod list for my S2000... as i plan on doing a whole range of mods for more power and torque..

not into bling for my s2000

STAiN MASTER
20-11-2009, 02:51 PM
I wasn't expecting any gains, more for shits and giggles. Fact is the Hi lobes aren't designed to make power or torque at the factory engagement point. Hence why the make peak power and torque near redline.
I found by lowering the engagement point on the controller, the factory ECU didn't compensate and add more fuel, it was leaning out, still safe though, but nevertheless leaning out. So i scrapped it.

To be honest i've seen v-tec contollers on a few other honda engines. And i've never seen them lowered more than 200-300rpm as they didn't make more power. Seriously if there was power to be had, Honda would have done it.

Ah ok i get ya, im using a piggy back ecu..

Redsuns88
20-11-2009, 02:55 PM
What ecu if i may ask? :)

ninzee
20-11-2009, 03:12 PM
i got a vtec controller in my civic and it makes a difference i got 6kw atw from it but changing vtec doesnt do much as said before you lose power you get most your gains from changing air/fuel ratio my vtec is now set a 5k as to previously 5.2k but doesnt really make any difference if vtec is too low you lose too much torque and vtec just feels normal not to sure about raising it

aznsiko
20-11-2009, 03:14 PM
its pointless.. wouldnt bother with vtec controller unless u got set of aftermarket cams..

Redsuns88
20-11-2009, 05:01 PM
wow wow.. stop right here..

im asking what is the best vtec controller for S2k.. its already been established that you need headwork done to get the full gist of it..

no need to keep repeating like a broken record..

trying to find out what is the best brand on the market, pros and cons.

its a simple question when u read it properly :P

STAiN MASTER
20-11-2009, 05:22 PM
^^ I havent really gone into cams yet, but if your going too do some research please by all means make a thread on it pros/cons/price would be very helpfull :D

Im using Greddy emanage, you should try and get a ECU if your planning on too mod..

WATAJK
20-11-2009, 09:34 PM
TBH i've considered getting one for my car but i said nah its not worth the hassles, the car is designed for VTEC to engage at that certain RPM.
Changing it would most likely give you hassles at one point.

mcopley
20-11-2009, 10:12 PM
If you use something like the Apexi NEO to lower your vtec engagement then good gains can be had. I have my vtec at 5300rpm which helped me to pick up 25whp in the mid range.

STAiN MASTER
20-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Ok Ive been playing around with it tonight and set it back too (4800 @ 60% throttle) I changed the vtec points and im getting the same sound but less of it when I raise the Vtec im starting to think my rattle is not coming from the cam but from something rattling underneath, I think my exhaust is vibrating and hitting against something....

sho
21-11-2009, 01:45 AM
i get that as well stain .. mine it was a lose bolt on the cat cover :)

STAiN MASTER
21-11-2009, 12:50 PM
i get that as well stain .. mine it was a lose bolt on the cat cover :)

Hopefully we can have a look on monday when the car is jacked up :)

ludecrs
21-11-2009, 03:31 PM
If you use something like the Apexi NEO to lower your vtec engagement then good gains can be had. I have my vtec at 5300rpm which helped me to pick up 25whp in the mid range.

Impressive numbers. Any bolt ons?

TODA AU
22-11-2009, 09:49 PM
I just don't like it set so low on OEM cams, they just aren't made for it. If they were, OEM vtec engagement would be set at or around those perameters, which its not.
For a standard car, your argument has a lot of weight.
But when a supercharger is fitted, things very different.

Re lowering the Vtec swap on mild N/A S2K's
The intake plays a big role here...
For a clean low rpm swap, use an Injen or similar...
Headers & exhaust will help a little also.

Of the Vtec Fuel controlers,
The Greddy E-manage ultimate or Haltech interceptor (Platinum) works the best,
But both are hugely expensive for the actual result delivered.

Neo or VAFC II offer much better value for money.

Redsuns88
23-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks toda.

WhiteAP1
30-11-2009, 01:21 AM
I think if your going to modify your car enough so that changing the engagement point is actually going to do something, your gonna be needing a decent ecu which will have the ability to change your vtec point anyway.

I've got a Neo, but only so i could control A/F with my mods, changing vtec lost power.

The best thing to do at this stage is to figure out what you want from the car ie: NA, FI??lightly tunned daily, full blown track car or somewhere in between? figure out your budget and then after that decide on mods and perhaps the electronics to suit. No point slapping on parts for the sake of it.

Once you decide that then you can decide what you need to get there

Redsuns88
30-11-2009, 02:01 PM
yea thanks.. i have already decided what i need and want to do.. i was simply asking whats the best suited vtec unit available :)

WhiteAP1
30-11-2009, 03:01 PM
yea thanks.. i have already decided what i need and want to do.. i was simply asking whats the best suited vtec unit available :)

Without any info or detail its kinda like asking how long a piece of string is. Its not a one size fits all thing and can easily leave your wallet lighter and ure car going backwards. Good luck with your build. :thumbsup: