PDA

View Full Version : Question about s2000 exhaust

noobie90
18-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Okay so i've seen some picture of s2000's with single muffler exhaust when they are twin muffler. So my question is, if i had an s2000 and i ended up doing this would it be a defect? I reside in sydney btw...

zco
19-11-2009, 09:10 AM
if you are worried about being defected, then its best not to modify your car at all.

if you change to a single ehxuast, it doesnt mean you'll be defected.

Any exhaust that increases emissions above the legal limit, or increases the noise above the limit, you will be defected. this goes the same for intake's aswell.

lithium
19-11-2009, 09:30 AM
technically - any non-factory exhaust needs to be approved with an engineers certificate.

i say 'technically' because most cops have better judgement than to attempt to defect every car that comes by with a non-standard muffler. in practice its usually: if your exhaust is too loud and/or you are driving like a dickhead, you'll get a defect

another thing to note is that some exhausts cannot be engineered (eg. variable mufflers like varex). if it's spotted you will get a defect straight away.

another important thing to note is, if you are dumb enough to run a catless or gutted cat on a road car and you get caught, you will be up for very very heavy fines from the EPA. don't do it :)

noobie90
19-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah i'm aware that any mod's done to the car need to be approved with engineers certificate and all that. I was only curious because i started noticing s2000 with only the single muffler and it looks nicer.

So if it does not increases emissions above the legal limit, or increases the noise above the limit then everything will be fine?

lithium
19-11-2009, 02:27 PM
the big one is noise. keep it quiet and you should be fine :) you'll find a lot of cops won't know if a S2000 is supposed to come from the factory with a single or dual exhaust!

i believe the sound limit is 90db measured according to the standard RTA sound test procedures (sound tester at X meters from ground, at X angle, X number of RPM etc)