PDA

View Full Version : lowering S2000

albsta
19-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi everyone, was thiking about lowering the s2000 with some adj coilovers, anyone got any recommendation??? mainly for street use, so not too rough of a ride, especially on PARRA RD.....

also if i lower the s2000, and running on 16" stock rims, will this make the headlight not go as far as stock height....can the angle of the headlights be adjusted after i have lower the s2000???

~cheers

rokkuchan
19-11-2009, 02:01 PM
just for looks and street, just buy D2 on ebay for $799 shipped!

Yes headlights can be adjusted

and u shud do a search, i believe lots of info here already.

albsta
19-11-2009, 02:05 PM
is it hard to adjust the beam height??...or do i need to take the whole light unit apart first??>..

rokkuchan
19-11-2009, 02:28 PM
u do it from the engine pay. just need a philips head screw driver or a 10mm socket?

Just look for a screw that you can screw and will adjust ur light. Should be located corner of each light (edge side) - screw should face vertically for u to reach. hope my description makes sense haha.

albsta
19-11-2009, 03:19 PM
thx rok....ill give it a shot when i get home....

so how good r the D2 coilovers?...should i even consider buddy club, tein, spoon , etc???

tamay_s2k
19-11-2009, 05:31 PM
im looking at getting budd club n+
any bad reviews with them?
i want ones that are good for track but are also nice for street

JAP-S2K
19-11-2009, 11:19 PM
When choosing coilover's, you should always choose something that will be better than the factory setup. Otherwise save your $$$ and install lowered springs. Suspension is a mod that you can easily go backwards on a S2000.
IMO don't waste your money on these: G4, D2(same as G4), HSD, K sport, or any cheap coilover. Spend that little bit extra and buy good quality Japanese coilovers. Don't get me wrong, all of the above mentioned coilovers will feel o.k when initially installed, but after approx. 10,000km or so they can/will cause major drama's, and your car will handle worse than a stock. Most cheapies offer 16/32 levels of adjustment, which in reality doesn't do anything when adjusted. I had the pleasure of driving one with cheapies and thought it was awful.

IMO these coilover setup's below i've personally seen/known/driven. Most can be used on the street, and will last on shitty roads.

Buddy Club N+
Tein Comfort Sport (I have these)
Tein Flex (I had these)
Bilstein PSS9
Zeal Function X
KW v3

Hope this helps you out.

Age_S2000
24-11-2009, 05:51 PM
can i say my car is lowered with springs only its on its guts n let me tell ya its on bloody ruff ride sometimes, unfortunatly i dont have money for coil overs as i now have a homeload to pay back but jeez i wish i had some coil overs so it can be done properly

joek
24-11-2009, 05:59 PM
just a few things that u may also need to be careful is that. When u lower the car, try to avoid big wheels. That is especially when u have a AP1. That can cause damages to your CV joints. However, I think AP2 they have a bit of improve on that spot. However, even I have a ap2 i will try to avoid that.
The other thing is just dont over do it. (dont lower too much) it also hurt the cv joints.
Hope these can help.
Joe

mikoZ
24-11-2009, 09:36 PM
When choosing coilover's, you should always choose something that will be better than the factory setup. Otherwise save your $$$ and install lowered springs. Suspension is a mod that you can easily go backwards on a S2000.
IMO don't waste your money on these: G4, D2(same as G4), HSD, K sport, or any cheap coilover. Spend that little bit extra and buy good quality Japanese coilovers. Don't get me wrong, all of the above mentioned coilovers will feel o.k when initially installed, but after approx. 10,000km or so they can/will cause major drama's, and your car will handle worse than a stock. Most cheapies offer 16/32 levels of adjustment, which in reality doesn't do anything when adjusted. I had the pleasure of driving one with cheapies and thought it was awful.

IMO these coilover setup's below i've personally seen/known/driven. Most can be used on the street, and will last on shitty roads.

Buddy Club N+
Tein Comfort Sport (I have these)
Tein Flex (I had these)
Bilstein PSS9
Zeal Function X
KW v3

Hope this helps you out.
great info,mate...
When choosing coilover's, you should always choose something that will be better than the factory setup.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

btw, any one has expierence on buddyclub Racing Spec Damper??

sho
24-11-2009, 10:55 PM
get some n+ mikoZ ;) hehehe

Ferrari
25-11-2009, 05:41 AM
I have Buddyclub Racing Spec, on both my cars. They have been on for 30000kms and still feel good as new in my S2000. The Type R has done 1:09 at Wakefield with them too.

Its a stiff coilover though, and will be firmer than stock on the softest setting. I dont mind this though its still daily driveable. The handling is massively improved car feels more planted, doesnt dump the car though mine is low, but its still sensible (as sensible as a lowered sports car could be anyway)

rokkuchan
26-11-2009, 09:26 AM
I have upgraded mine to MonoFlex now from Eibach Springs. It's very stiff compare to stock and Eibach but i dont daily drive my car anymore so it's a pleasure for the weekend runs.

If anyone interested in my Eibach, i can do a direct swap with ur stockies (assembled with stock shocks) and give u stock springs too as i can't be stuff taking it apart + little adjustments my way. PM ME.

88dblifestyle
23-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi everyone, was thiking about lowering the s2000 with some adj coilovers, anyone got any recommendation??? mainly for street use, so not too rough of a ride, especially on PARRA RD.....

also if i lower the s2000, and running on 16" stock rims, will this make the headlight not go as far as stock height....can the angle of the headlights be adjusted after i have lower the s2000???

~cheers

:thumbsup: Good idea.. Then please post the pictures here after you lowered it..

Excited to see it.. Thanks!

DC5TYPER
23-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I have Buddyclub Racing Spec, on both my cars. They have been on for 30000kms and still feel good as new in my S2000. The Type R has done 1:09 at Wakefield with them too.

Its a stiff coilover though, and will be firmer than stock on the softest setting. I dont mind this though its still daily driveable. The handling is massively improved car feels more planted, doesnt dump the car though mine is low, but its still sensible (as sensible as a lowered sports car could be anyway)

Pretty much spot on with your remarks. I too have these coilovers on my S2k. I ran 1:42s at winton on street tyres as well.

jaeyon
24-12-2009, 10:07 AM
i was running kw v3s on mine. very good coilover (i was previously running bc racing one) as many on s2ki will tell you. currently for sale in the forsale section (you need to use your factory top hats)

YBJLS4
03-01-2010, 12:22 AM
n+ all the way. clean height good ride.

doosra
14-02-2010, 07:21 PM
If lowering the car a fair bit, is there a camber kit for the s2k? I've got an accord euro and am thinking of upgrading

DC5TYPER
14-02-2010, 08:18 PM
If lowering the car a fair bit, is there a camber kit for the s2k? I've got an accord euro and am thinking of upgrading

S2000 had built in camber adjustment stock mate.

doosra
14-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Cool, that's nice to know. Thanks

vyets
15-02-2010, 10:10 AM
n+ all the way. clean height good ride.

No offence, but I've driven a S2000 with the N+ and I was not a fan at all, felt like the car was floating.
I have nothing against the N+ and I love buddyclub coilovers, but the N+ on a s2000 were bad, real bad. However they are very very comfortable and can go low which is what most people want anyway.

rokkuchan
15-02-2010, 04:38 PM
No offence, but I've driven a S2000 with the N+ and I was not a fan at all, felt like the car was floating.
I have nothing against the N+ and I love buddyclub coilovers, but the N+ on a s2000 were bad, real bad. However they are very very comfortable and can go low which is what most people want anyway.

Yup, one of my other friend hates it too on his s2k.

But I'm loving my MonoFlex and glad i didn't cheap out to buy N+.
Loving my EDFC too and very handy.

doosra
04-03-2010, 08:07 AM
abit off topic..

i've just got my s2k.. and finally took it home.. and there's this speed hump which i have to go over to access my garage (i live in a townhouse complex).. and the car just grinded so badly over the hump.. it sounded like it was ripping out it's guts !!!.. painful..

i have a feeling there may be a hole in the exhaust... as it sounded funny after i went to park..

i'm going to do a further inspection tonight when i get home.. but just wondering whether you guys think it's just the exhaust.. ? or could it potentially be worse.. ?

i'm not fussed if it's the exhaust.. i'm planning on going back to stock exhaust anyway..

ncmx5
04-03-2010, 10:20 AM
abit off topic..

i've just got my s2k.. and finally took it home.. and there's this speed hump which i have to go over to access my garage (i live in a townhouse complex).. and the car just grinded so badly over the hump.. it sounded like it was ripping out it's guts !!!.. painful..

i have a feeling there may be a hole in the exhaust... as it sounded funny after i went to park..

i'm going to do a further inspection tonight when i get home.. but just wondering whether you guys think it's just the exhaust.. ? or could it potentially be worse.. ?

i'm not fussed if it's the exhaust.. i'm planning on going back to stock exhaust anyway..

errr.... its a bit off topic.... and its a bit hard to tell from your description. I think it would be just easier to have a look at it first buddy... or perhaps some photos.

doosra
04-03-2010, 10:24 AM
yeah.. sorry for hijacking..

i'll have a look tonight.. hopefully it's just the exhaust if anything..

euromandeluxe
04-03-2010, 10:30 AM
abit off topic..

i've just got my s2k..

congrats mate - moved up from the euro to the S?
what colour/year?

doosra
04-03-2010, 10:32 AM
thanks man....yeah sold the euro.. there's too many euro's out there, it's so hard to sell.. so i sold it for next to nothing to get my mates 2001 model.. monte carlo blue.. formerly known as BRU51N...

ludecrs
04-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Aww he sold it!

euromandeluxe
04-03-2010, 04:26 PM
thanks man....yeah sold the euro.. there's too many euro's out there, it's so hard to sell.. so i sold it for next to nothing to get my mates 2001 model.. monte carlo blue.. formerly known as BRU51N...

nice, the new avatar looks good!

doosra
04-03-2010, 08:36 PM
just put 20's on the s2k.. and raised it an inch at the front and looking to raise the rear 1cm as it's scrubbing at corners..

JAP-S2K
04-03-2010, 08:45 PM
20's.............

doosra
04-03-2010, 09:01 PM
20's.............

i know.. many ppl don't like 20's and i woulda preferred to leave 17's.. however to get to my garage, i have to go past this one speed hump.. and yesterday was the first time i went over it with 17's.. and it severly scrapped the bottom of the car.. so painful.. it just wasn't practical where i live to have it so low.. so i wanted a solution where i could raise the car and still minimize the gap between tyre and guard.. so i put 20's on and raised the front 1 inch..

ncmx5
04-03-2010, 09:05 PM
wouldn't that put your speedo wayyy off? if you're changing the circumference of the wheels to change the ride height?

is it the gutters from the road to driveway that's too much of a V? why not fill it with concrete or put a metal plate??

doosra
04-03-2010, 09:18 PM
well depends on whether you get the right profile tyres to match the size of the rims.. anyone know dimensions of the stock 16" rims.. ?

the speed hump is the pathway to the garage.. i live in a block of townhouses and my townhouse is out the back.. it's a public place so it's not my place to fiddle around with those things... plus.. now i'll be able to get in and out of shopping centres comfortably as well.

ncmx5
04-03-2010, 09:31 PM
wouldn't the 20" wheel alone is already bigger than the stock tyre??

anyway, stockies are 205/55/16 front, 225/50/16 rear.

doosra
04-03-2010, 09:35 PM
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

to determine speedo readings, you can use the calculator above and it will judge the ratio by the dimensions of your wheels.. i can't remember my dimensions of my tyres and couldn't be bothered checking.. but it will only be like 1% off or so.. no big deal..

ncmx5
04-03-2010, 09:37 PM
ahh yeah, just had a look. u'd have to run 205/30/20 to get it close as possible to stock. that's rubberband territory!!! LOL

are they the wheels in your dp?

doosra
04-03-2010, 09:50 PM
i'm actually running 225's... don't think there's much diff on speedo.. probably 1-2km's at 60km's per hour..

the wheels in the dp are the old ones.. i've got these ones on .. i took them off my euro..

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5528/img3362desktopresolutio.jpg

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8823/img3366desktopresolutio.jpg

euromandeluxe
04-03-2010, 09:50 PM
yeah, post up some nice big pics! decent 20s might look alright on the S (by decent, i mean non-chromied ones :P)

euromandeluxe
04-03-2010, 09:51 PM
wow, same time response. any pics of them on the S? i always liked those wheels on the euro.

doosra
04-03-2010, 09:58 PM
didn't have time to take pics tonight as it was dark once i put the 20's on.. i'm getting a pro detail from davexr8 on monday.. so will be sure to take some then..

will also be throwing my stock exhaust back on as i've got an apexi one and it's too loud.. will be up for sale if anyone is interested...

doosra
05-03-2010, 07:42 PM
after driving the car for an hour.. i've decided to get rid of the 20's.. too much scrubbing and too big.. ! hahaha. might go for 18's.. or stick with the 17's and just raise the car..

JAP-S2K
05-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Nice choice. 17's or 18's... both are good. 18's and lowered will still just chew into the rear bar, all depends on your offset choice and tyre profile choice. 17's are all the rage if you plan to track it.
IMO go with 18's. As these days 18's come in decent width and offer decent offsets too. Much the same for tyre selection to. Lots of options in 18's now, semi's included.

doosra
05-03-2010, 08:56 PM
i'm new to the s2k.. so don't know what type.. i'm sure i could search.. but while ur there jap-s2k.. what recommendations in dimensions without scrubbing would i require for 18's.. ?

JAP-S2K
05-03-2010, 09:39 PM
i'm new to the s2k.. so don't know what type.. i'm sure i could search.. but while ur there jap-s2k.. what recommendations in dimensions without scrubbing would i require for 18's.. ?

PM sent

doosra
06-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks mate.. I actually went 19's.. My mate had a set of wheels which I just did straight swap for my 20s.. I don't want to spend anymore money hence why I went 19s.. It was still scrubbing the rear but I raised the rear 1.5cm.. So it's not looking super low and hot but it's comfy which to me is what I'm after

doosra
07-03-2010, 08:18 AM
i'm confused how ppl can have their car lowered with 19's, 20's on the s2k and not have scrubbage..

I've now got 19's.. and running 19 x 8.5 front and 19 x 9.5 rear.. +45 offset

There's still excessive rubbing on the rears when the car is lowered a bit past the tyre.. so i've had to raise it 1.5cms.. this also goes with the front..

what is the trick..? i've had the guards rolled and some of the rear bumpers shaved..

euromandeluxe
07-03-2010, 12:10 PM
hektik camber too?

doosra
07-03-2010, 02:16 PM
dont think it's got hectic camber.. haven't done alignment on it.. as i've got it only this week and not sure what camber it's running at the moment..

i'm loving the s2k.. but looking at the pics of my euro.. sad to see it go.. such a great car they are..

JAP-S2K
07-03-2010, 08:02 PM
19 x 9.5 +45 even with camber is not an easy fit, unless you streched 235's over them. Also did you remove the rear bumper tabs. These def need to be cut out and reposition the mounting point further back, also you'll need to run max camber on the rear.

doosra
07-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks jap-s2k.. Ride comfort is totally destroyed.. It's bumpy as fk now.. I'm so tempted to switch back to 17s and just having it sit abit higher.