PDA

View Full Version : ~~ DESPERATELY NEED HELP! problem with sound system!! ~~

niiCk
19-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Hey guys,

I've recently installed a sound system consisting of a new tv headunit, front speakers, rear speakers, 4 ch amp, and a mono and a sub.

1. My first problem that i had was that there was a buzzing sound each time i pressed the accelerator..i've read around and apparently i just need better ground? i've tried placing it to different grounds but theres still a minor buzzing sound. How could i go about getting rid of this?

2. My second problem is that when i switch off the headunit, or even the engine. Theres a massive POP sound? its like heaps loud, it could probably blow my ear drums if it constantly happens. It ALWAYS happens..I cant find the reason for this? any help?:)

If anyone could help me in fixing these two problems, it would greatly appreciated.

Will even give out rep points;)

Thanks,
Nick

karamello
20-11-2009, 12:06 AM
the buzzing sound you are hearing is most likely because you ran the signal and power wires close together.
to get rid of it run them apart and if they must cross only do it and right angles.

i cant remember what the pop sound means though

RR-04-RR
20-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Hey guys,

I've recently installed a sound system consisting of a new tv headunit, front speakers, rear speakers, 4 ch amp, and a mono and a sub.

1. My first problem that i had was that there was a buzzing sound each time i pressed the accelerator..i've read around and apparently i just need better ground? i've tried placing it to different grounds but theres still a minor buzzing sound. How could i go about getting rid of this?

2. My second problem is that when i switch off the headunit, or even the engine. Theres a massive POP sound? its like heaps loud, it could probably blow my ear drums if it constantly happens. It ALWAYS happens..I cant find the reason for this? any help?:)

If anyone could help me in fixing these two problems, it would greatly appreciated.

Will even give out rep points;)

Thanks,
Nick

There could be a few problems..

Of course you heard about the grounding cable for the amp.. the Grounding should be as short as possible and to bare metal is much better (strip the paint off if needed)

And also.. are you running the RCA cables with the Power cable to the amp? the correct way to line the cables are for the RCA.. Speaker and remote cable to run on one side and the power cable on the other side

Another option is that the Amp is secured or touching metal.. the amp will try to ground through the amp itself instead of the ground wire and potentially may cause interference

And also as for the Popping sound... you make that buzzing go away, that popping will stop! :)

hope that helps!

EGJOE
20-11-2009, 05:37 AM
1. amps double grounded as in chassis of amp is in contact with cars metal chasiss big no no
2. rca need be run seperate side of car to power supply
3. quality of your gear

tiksie
20-11-2009, 06:29 AM
As others have said, it's just incorrect routing of your RCA's/Power/Remote..

That's noise you hear is the alternator winding haha.

Joe Bellissimo
20-11-2009, 07:30 AM
The popping could be because the amplifier doesn't have a soft turn on, which model is it?

Audio Express
20-11-2009, 07:54 AM
joe,

nothing to do with that. depending on what the overall setup is some thing is turning on before something else. a cap and a diode will fix it. now if its a EBAY peice (sounds like it is.) then noise is inherent in them anyway due to poor build quaility.

two ways to fix this. better ground on deck AND a clean unpianted ground on the amplifier. next is a gadget called a ground loop isolator. it will be self explanatory when you see it.

Joe Bellissimo
20-11-2009, 08:01 AM
I just read it again, I misread, its when he turns the engine off.

tron07
20-11-2009, 11:12 AM
ground loop isolator usually kills of the high frequencies....

did you install the stuffs your own? Probably the power cable or speaker cables is too near the RCAs. Run power one side, speaker on side or in the middle and RCA another side

SuiJin
20-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Bring it around to me Nick

niiCk
20-11-2009, 04:50 PM
the buzzing sound you are hearing is most likely because you ran the signal and power wires close together.
to get rid of it run them apart and if they must cross only do it and right angles.

i cant remember what the pop sound means though

yeah it was like that before, then i moved the RCA cable in the middle of the car, it made it disappear to a minor sound.

There could be a few problems..

Of course you heard about the grounding cable for the amp.. the Grounding should be as short as possible and to bare metal is much better (strip the paint off if needed)

And also.. are you running the RCA cables with the Power cable to the amp? the correct way to line the cables are for the RCA.. Speaker and remote cable to run on one side and the power cable on the other side

Another option is that the Amp is secured or touching metal.. the amp will try to ground through the amp itself instead of the ground wire and potentially may cause interference

And also as for the Popping sound... you make that buzzing go away, that popping will stop! :)

hope that helps!

i cant actually put the amp onto any metal=S theres no way of letting it touch metal in my boot, also i've kind of gotten rid of the buzzing sound but the popping sound is still there?

1. amps double grounded as in chassis of amp is in contact with cars metal chasiss big no no
2. rca need be run seperate side of car to power supply
3. quality of your gear

yep, i know.
i've separated the rca from the power supply, but what if my battery is in the boot?

As others have said, it's just incorrect routing of your RCA's/Power/Remote..

That's noise you hear is the alternator winding haha.

i've pretty much got the rca and power wiring correct, where should i run the remote cable? its just the stupid popping sound thats pissing me off..

The popping could be because the amplifier doesn't have a soft turn on, which model is it?

joe,

nothing to do with that. depending on what the overall setup is some thing is turning on before something else. a cap and a diode will fix it. now if its a EBAY peice (sounds like it is.) then noise is inherent in them anyway due to poor build quaility.

two ways to fix this. better ground on deck AND a clean unpianted ground on the amplifier. next is a gadget called a ground loop isolator. it will be self explanatory when you see it.

nah its not a ebay piece..
so if i do what you said then the popping sound will disappear? it never happened when i installed the same unit on my old car? i've already put the ground on clean unpainted ground. I have a ground loop isolator but that doesnt seem to be helping..

I just read it again, I misread, its when he turns the engine off.

ground loop isolator usually kills of the high frequencies....

did you install the stuffs your own? Probably the power cable or speaker cables is too near the RCAs. Run power one side, speaker on side or in the middle and RCA another side

yeah i installed the stuff myself..
i've done all that, but the popping sound is still there?

Bring it around to me Nick

lolol..yeah i wish.
im in sydney but=P

I just need to find a way to get rid of the popping sound!

slimx
20-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Amp quality can relate to your winding noise, as for the thump sound, now because your sub doesnt produce sound only bass (low freq) instead of making a buzzing noise it makes a thumb lol.

To fix your best option is to first isolate the problem

Check your head unit, if there is more than 1 RCA slot plug it in another see if it stops it
Change the RCA cables (use gold plated)
Start the car (PAUSE THE SONG your listening too) u should still hear the sound, pull out the RCA cables, if u can still here the sound ITS NOT YOUR RCA'S if u CANT its YOUR RCA's
Ground Loop isolater can help with RCA winding but will kill quality, best off getting new cables

ICACHA
21-11-2009, 10:11 AM
rather than wasting time on a forum, how about you pay a store to fix your problem, could be quicker than trial and error?