PDA

View Full Version : Eg GLI doesn't get much km's on a full tank

slow_poke
21-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Hey guys my GLI hatch seems to be getting at most 350-380 on a full tank without thrashing it i dunno what to do i was sure that these cars pull out 450-500km's and i'm using also premium unleaded 95 i think lol its the blue one?
This is really frustrating because it's suppose to be fuel efficient.
My bro's skyline with turbo has done like 550km's on a full tank even though it does have a bigger tank for a skyline turbo his car does well.
Can anyone help in anyway?
Can it be that my fuel reader on my cluster has got it wrong, because it seems to be moving a lot up and down.
Thanks

.:Thrasher:.
21-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Hey guys my GLI hatch seems to be getting at most 350-380 on a full tank without thrashing it i dunno what to do i was sure that these cars pull out 450-500km's and i'm using also premium unleaded 95 i think lol its the blue one?
This is really frustrating because it's suppose to be fuel efficient.
My bro's skyline with turbo has done like 550km's on a full tank even though it does have a bigger tank for a skyline turbo his car does well.
Can anyone help in anyway?
Can it be that my fuel reader on my cluster has got it wrong, because it seems to be moving a lot up and down.
Thanks

you're car is not probably tuned to 95 octane, but tuned to 91. change the distributor to 98 octane and it should run well. i know mine runs really well on 98 after being tuned to it. i can get up to 650 freeway km on a tank.

also your engine problem just needs a tune up!

and also it could just be a problem with you're fuel reader as you said.

Spoon-Accord
21-11-2009, 10:56 PM
have you check all your plugs, fuel filter, air filter, leaks etc etc

get it service, do a minor ecu reset and see how you go :)

slow_poke
22-11-2009, 02:47 PM
you're car is not probably tuned to 95 octane, but tuned to 91. change the distributor to 98 octane and it should run well. i know mine runs really well on 98 after being tuned to it. i can get up to 650 freeway km on a tank.

I'm pretty noob but how do i tune it to run 98? and i don't know how to test my theory on my reader because i don't want to be stuck with no petrol.
Do you think maybe my car needs a service because i've had it for like 1month and was sure it got a tune up a couple weeks before i got it.

mocchi
22-11-2009, 03:13 PM

change the dizzy to 98 octane?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f96/bigtiny40/raisehand4kw.jpg

to improve fuel economy:
- driving at 80kmph saves more fuel compared to driving at 120kmph.
- light throttle acceleration
- reduce hard cornering and hard braking
- inflate tyres properly (maybe 35-38psi?), read tyre specs.
- ensure fuel filter, spark plugs in good condition?
- dont get FAT gf.

others should be able to give more tips?

btw pod filters sometime reduce fuel economy.
what have you done to the car?

try google.

tiksie
23-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Does it blow any smoke ?

.:Thrasher:.
23-11-2009, 04:08 PM
I'm pretty noob but how do i tune it to run 98? and i don't know how to test my theory on my reader because i don't want to be stuck with no petrol.
Do you think maybe my car needs a service because i've had it for like 1month and was sure it got a tune up a couple weeks before i got it.

im not pretty sure but from what i saw he changed how the dizzy was tuned. im pretty sure its a 2 minute job.

im still learning with these things obviously so im pretty much on the same boat as you.

change the dizzy to 98 octane?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f96/bigtiny40/raisehand4kw.jpg

to improve fuel economy:
- driving at 80kmph saves more fuel compared to driving at 120kmph.
- light throttle acceleration
- reduce hard cornering and hard braking
- inflate tyres properly (maybe 35-38psi?), read tyre specs.
- ensure fuel filter, spark plugs in good condition?
- dont get FAT gf.

others should be able to give more tips?

btw pod filters sometime reduce fuel economy.
what have you done to the car?

try google.

^^^^sounds about right!

tiksie
23-11-2009, 04:46 PM
LOL @ Tuning dizzy to run 98 Octane.

EDracer
03-12-2009, 02:09 PM
LOL @ Tuning dizzy to run 98 Octane.

lol Sorry but i have to agree with this statment.

First, it might be just me, but i always major service any car i buy regarles of what the previous owner says. best to be carfull. replace the oil, filer, fuel filter, spark plugs, flush the cooling system, all that stuff. after doing that run a injector cleaner through the next full tank and then do areset of the ECU. i bet you find this makes a big difference.
is this car the carby D15 motor? if so maybe get the carbies tuned. my old ED Carby has the same problem when i got it, but after i tuned the carbies ran like a dream. i then tuned it a little more to run a little rich down low and lean out uptop gave it a bit more poke :thumbsup:

slow_poke
03-12-2009, 04:14 PM
lol Sorry but i have to agree with this statment.

First, it might be just me, but i always major service any car i buy regarles of what the previous owner says. best to be carfull. replace the oil, filer, fuel filter, spark plugs, flush the cooling system, all that stuff. after doing that run a injector cleaner through the next full tank and then do areset of the ECU. i bet you find this makes a big difference.
is this car the carby D15 motor? if so maybe get the carbies tuned. my old ED Carby has the same problem when i got it, but after i tuned the carbies ran like a dream. i then tuned it a little more to run a little rich down low and lean out uptop gave it a bit more poke :thumbsup:

Ain't a carby LOL yeah i've already asked my mechanic mate to do a full check on the car he said he will i just gotta make a date when im available, first his gonna tell me whats wrong and tell me what needs to be done etc. he only charges for the parts and a little labour so ye its quite good.

wAYzoR
03-12-2009, 06:06 PM
LOL i think Thrasher meant advance the timing a little so its more suitable on running a higher octane fuel

MR-VTEC
03-12-2009, 06:56 PM
lol, blind leading the blind :/

Noobs_for_life
03-12-2009, 07:10 PM
ask someone on OzHonda who lives near you and has a timing light to give u a hand. Will save you some cash, or take to a mechanic and ask them to check the base timing, then try and stick to the same octane fuel. eg: premium, regular, you get the idea :)

but thats just the start, as a few others have stated, might also need a good service, but a good mechanic should b able to look over it and see what might need to be done, no point wasting money on things that have been done recently :)