PDA

View Full Version : Cai sucking in water! Help

typeRr
22-11-2009, 01:57 AM
damn melbourne weather, ran past a pretty big puddle of water today and my cai sucked in water. Not sure what to do now, for about 30 second my car started blogging then when i was at a red light the car turned off on me. Left it running under shelter for about 30 minutes and it seemed fine. WHAT DO I DO?

GSi_PSi
22-11-2009, 02:01 AM
How is the car running now?> You should invest in a INJEN rainjacket for your pod filter

dougie_504
22-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Your CAI isn't covered at the bottom of the bumper? The pod needs to be pretty much submerged to do any real damage, so a puddle should be fine provided it's not knee-deep.

Any idea how much water you sucked up?

Limbo
22-11-2009, 12:34 PM
they do sell valve releases for those CAI, might be good to get one of those

typeRr
22-11-2009, 01:39 PM
If i had to guess, the puddle was probably ankle height. just sitting in the driveway at the moment, sounded abit sick.

dougie_504
22-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Well I don't know what to do once it's done bro, but at ankle-depth you should be fine. And your pod should be protected from beneath the bumper by the plastic guard, yeah?

If you've hydrolocked your engine you'll know about it...it'll sound worse than sick because the bottom end will basically blow its ass out

anjin
22-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Well I don't know what to do once it's done bro, but at ankle-depth you should be fine. And your pod should be protected from beneath the bumper by the plastic guard, yeah?

If you've hydrolocked your engine you'll know about it...it'll sound worse than sick because the bottom end will basically blow its ass out

Amen to that. I'd be checking water in your electics myself.

dougie_504
22-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Drain out your engine and check for water (will turn to milk-shake colour/won't look normal) for a start

chauster
26-11-2009, 03:13 PM
i dunno but i just drove in ab out shin high water. Massive dumping of rain. and im fine. probably sucked in some water. but i got the guard and there to stop most of the rain...

where the hell did you put your pod?

dougie_504
26-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Down in bumper, but how low is your car man? The pod's still over a foot high from the ground so the water would need to be pretty deep right?

typeRr
27-11-2009, 12:44 AM
lol after leaving my car on for about 4 hours the next day it seemed fine, thanks for the help guys

burner42
27-11-2009, 01:51 AM
it may seem fine but to be safe, change your engine oil, check for water, it's better to be safe then sorry mate

**Ghost**
27-11-2009, 01:42 PM
what brand of CAI is it? i had a look at pics for the most popular CAIs for DC5s (seems like thats what u got) and it looks like u'll need water at least 30cm+ deep to touch the pod,,,,

mrpsi
27-11-2009, 02:08 PM
CAI's are a waste of time. more trouble then what they are worth.

dougie_504
28-11-2009, 03:19 PM
CAI's are a waste of time. more trouble then what they are worth.

I reckon they're great man. Good mod IMHO because it's cheap, easy to install yourself, you get a nice little gain and the sound is very sexual.

Just gotta make sure you don't drive through puddles that are like 40-50cm deep :)

WATAJK
28-11-2009, 04:44 PM
I reckon they're great man. Good mod IMHO because it's cheap, easy to install yourself, you get a nice little gain and the sound is very sexual.

Just gotta make sure you don't drive through puddles that are like 40-50cm deep :)

Yet if it does suck in enuff water...
You'll end up blowing a piston as a guy did to his DC5S and told his story on ClubITR
It happens..
Juz learn from the experience and that u got let off lightly

dougie_504
28-11-2009, 05:11 PM
You'll end up blowing a piston as a guy did to his DC5S and told his story on ClubITR
It happens..

So like I said...just don't drive through deep puddles!

GSi_PSi
28-11-2009, 08:35 PM
IMO its pretty hard to get water sucked in, if you have ur splash guards on properly they will repel water anyway, so you have to be in pretty deep water to get a lot of water that will actually hydrolock your engine. Just be carefull when its raining and you will be fine

typeRr
29-11-2009, 01:42 AM
what brand of CAI is it? i had a look at pics for the most popular CAIs for DC5s (seems like thats what u got) and it looks like u'll need water at least 30cm+ deep to touch the pod,,,,

Injen cai :)

GSi_PSi
29-11-2009, 06:35 AM
in terms of price and quality fujita comes on top, then injen

u mad?
29-11-2009, 06:50 AM
It happens..

link to thread? i never seen that thread!

bennjamin
29-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Guys I too had a mate
who blew his motor due to excessive water indigestion. Funny thing is after it got rebuilt , sold to another guy the new
Owner did the exact same thing !

That's enough to send me away from this long arm type intake.

Personally , I have opted for a comptech icebox.
Inducts air from the same place at the
front bar and is perfectly safe. And as for peer or feel gained - like all intakes it just makes more noise lol.

GSi_PSi
29-11-2009, 10:43 AM
cold air intakes like injen,fujita are dyno proven :S
From jdmyards dyno run test on a dc5r
Red line : Stock DC5R
Blue line : After Injen CAI

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b339/kawasaki_au/DSC07466.jpg

Fujita on Vtir integra (usdm)

http://www.f5air.com/images/dyno/ca1002%2094-01%20gsr.GIF

bennjamin
29-11-2009, 10:44 AM
yup cant deny those numbers. Do u have a water-valve-saftey thingy Sam ? (bypass)

GSi_PSi
29-11-2009, 10:52 AM
nope but im going to be runnin a hydroshield
http://cache.autoanything.com/images/products/large/air_intake_systems/injen_hydro.jpg

aaronng
29-11-2009, 11:24 AM
nope but im going to be runnin a hydroshield
http://cache.autoanything.com/images/products/large/air_intake_systems/injen_hydro.jpg

That only helps with partial submersion. If the whole pod goes under water, even a hydroshield won't help.

I prefer my intake because I get to go through deep puddles at 7000rpm.

WATAJK
29-11-2009, 12:43 PM
link to thread? i never seen that thread!

On the American ClubITR not the aust one

GSi_PSi
29-11-2009, 12:51 PM
being a honda fwd 7,000rpm in the rain = depending on gear,wheelspin and dangerous i dunno why you would first of all. Second i dunoo how you would sugmerge unless you drive in a flood area iee
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/87/waterfest028oy2.jpg

or drive your car into a really deep puddle a dip in the road or pothole of that calibre. which the places in sydney i drive around i cant find..

In all if your worried about hydrolock CAI isnt for you, stick with shortram hotengine bay intake

aaronng
29-11-2009, 01:06 PM
being a honda fwd 7,000rpm in the rain = depending on gear,wheelspin and dangerous i dunno why you would first of all. Second i dunoo how you would sugmerge unless you drive in a flood area iee
[IMG]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/87/waterfest028oy2.jpg[IMG]

or drive your car into a really deep puddle a dip in the road or pothole of that calibre. which the places in sydney i drive around i cant find..

In all if your worried about hydrolock CAI isnt for you, stick with shortram hotengine bay intake
It was more of an example of the capability to go at 7000rpm through a flooded area, not that I actually do it as it is dangerous as you said.

dougie_504
29-11-2009, 04:22 PM
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/87/waterfest028oy2.jpg

Good point man, but to be honest I even think in this picture of your's there would be no hydrolock - the pod in the bumper wouldn't be submerged at that depth.
If you're smart you just drive slowly.
If you're super worried then just disconnect your intake at the bend where the stock box generally sits, or even at the TB, then reconnect on the other side of the puddle :)

Spoon-Accord
29-11-2009, 06:36 PM
take your intake off, get some carby cleaner, run your car on idle

drain the oil, change oil, check plugs and all that

should be fine, if it wasnt you car wouldnt be running :)

NSPYRE
01-01-2010, 10:47 PM
holy crap! is it just me or is that stock hp figure for the GSR on the fujita dyno really high?

vinnY
02-01-2010, 02:04 AM
143hp isn't too bad for a healthy motor

edit; i take that back, does seem a bit high for a stock gsr motor, seems more like a c5 figure than c1

jezza10
02-01-2010, 02:14 AM
That only helps with partial submersion. If the whole pod goes under water, even a hydroshield won't help.

I prefer my intake because I get to go through deep puddles at 7000rpm.

short ram intake for the win then?

:D

RandyRhydah
02-01-2010, 08:51 AM
in my old lancer i had a cold air intake.. i had a scare once when i went through a puddle and the car coughed and splattered but came out fine after about 15 seconds... although the new owner sunk it within a week of owning it... when it rained alot o just took the bottom half of the intake off and ran short ram

lookingforboost
02-01-2010, 03:41 PM
lol if you go through enough water to completly cover the pod, id be more worried about the water coming through the doors :)

dougie_504
03-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Honestly I think if you're going to run a CAI you should just make sure you're not stupid enough to hydrolock it. You'd have to be fairly retarded.

Avoid puddles, or
Drive very slowly through puddles, or
Disconnect your intake

JAP-S2K
04-01-2010, 01:51 PM
^^^ Good point. I've seen the result of a hydrolocked 4AGE 20V with sock's over it's throttle bodies. Hole in block beside conrod 1 and 4. No long arm intake there.
Makes me drive slow in the rain.

Nepolian
04-01-2010, 04:38 PM
^^^ Good point. I've seen the result of a hydrolocked 4AGE 20V with sock's over it's throttle bodies. Hole in block beside conrod 1 and 4. No long arm intake there.
Makes me drive slow in the rain.

^^ Sure thats was due to hydro locking and not the good old 4AG + too many revs + weak con rods = hole in the block trick??

It'll 'ALOT' of water....in fact a whole river to hydrolock an intake sitting that high.

JAP-S2K
04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I was in the car, around 4,000rpm, decent puddle in a dip on the road, water probably came up just above the underside of the bar. F@#k what a noise! Car aquaplanned too. LOL about the weak rods!

Neesmo31
04-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Hmm making me nervous having just put a injen intake on my car... It still has all the proper diffusers and plastics still on the car, also ordered the injen hydrosheild to help. Ill just have to avoid big puddles.

JAP-S2K
04-01-2010, 07:29 PM
I wouldn't worry too much, my injen intake hasn't caused me any issue's in the last year or so, just don't drive WOT.

Neesmo31
04-01-2010, 07:33 PM
whats WOT? Thanks mate.

JAP-S2K
04-01-2010, 07:38 PM
wide open throttle.

NSPYRE
04-01-2010, 10:38 PM
^^ Sure thats was due to hydro locking and not the good old 4AG + too many revs + weak con rods = hole in the block trick??

It'll 'ALOT' of water....in fact a whole river to hydrolock an intake sitting that high.

ur kidding about the weak conrods thing right?

http://www.syndicatemotorsports.org/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1532

conrod from GTR on the left, 4AGE on the right..

Nepolian
05-01-2010, 08:22 AM
ur kidding about the weak conrods thing right?

http://www.syndicatemotorsports.org/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1532

conrod from GTR on the left, 4AGE on the right..

What does that prove? You're comparing apples with oranges. In no circumstance can you compare an RB26 with any 4AGE's.

GTR's make 400 or so KW's stock where as if a 4AG sees anything above 8000rpms for too long, it throws a rod.

Mate, been there and done that! Played with a lot of 4AG's in my time, small port/big port, silver top/ black top. They are very fragile compared to say a B series (which is comparable).

I only talk about things I know and experienced. I don't try to be a web mechanic!

JAP-S2K
05-01-2010, 09:26 AM
^^^^ Yeah i agree, 4-AGE rod's cringe at high rpm.

r3ckless
05-01-2010, 04:56 PM
my injen pod sits seriously 6 inches off the grround, if that? when in rain, just be weary of puddles and i even drive on two lanes 2 avoid it LOL... also dont go full throttle!

Neesmo31
05-01-2010, 05:38 PM
or dont go WOT. :) thanks JAPS2K lol. Ill still be careful, but i mean how often will i be driving in flood water in my honda - not me.

Neesmo31
01-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Well today i thought something was wrong with my teg, didnt seem to go as good as it should, and we have had rainy wether yesterday. The intake noise seemed to be stiffled to what it normally sounds like.

Pulled the pod off, (injen intake) was nice and clean, looked a touch damp though. Threw my Zero1000 pod on and went for a drive. Straigh away it was motoring hard and the induction noise was ear peicing loud again. So let that be a note to injen users, if there seems to be a problem with power after rain then your pod is probably damp.

***note i did check the inlet tract to see if moisture was present but it was bone dry***

Ill go clean it and make sure its thoroughly dry then give it a reoil. But yeah learn something new all the time. Still waiting on the injen sock from jdm yard.

Cheers all.

Neesmo31
01-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Just dryed it, but weighed it beforehand. Was 519g damp, now is back to 487g dry. So approximately 32g which equates to 32mL.

Doesnt sound like much but was enough to be notiveable.

dougie_504
01-02-2010, 08:08 PM
I suppose that's a fair bit of water to have on a pod filter but wouldn't it just make your car go that tiny bit faster by further cooling the air during induction?

I'm glad there's no serious problem though :)

Neesmo31
02-02-2010, 06:32 AM
No quite the opposite. Because the fabric used in the pod filters is very fine (close weave or however you would like to imagine it) water will basically block those tiny gaps between the strands causing less airflow. And when a motor is at full noise there is an enormous amout of air being breathed in. Any change to that will result in power loss.

dougie_504
02-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Learn something new every day!

The pod on my EH Civic is in the front bumper, and there's a gap of a few millimetres between the bottom of the headlight and the bumper where water could slide in and onto the pod in heavy rain/somebody's draft.
I was worried at first (lol) but eventually got over it...

Neesmo31
02-02-2010, 09:05 AM
I think you would have to get a pretty heavy hit of water to have it end up inside the motor, to get around and up the pipe. I think it would be difficult, but a damp pod - thats easy (given the recent rain we have been having in QLD) bucketloads!