PDA

View Full Version : Peachy says HI HI, some n00b questions

Peachy
23-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Hey there everyone :wave:,

Just new to the forums, joined a few days ago and have been overwhelmed by the amount of information on this site, it's fantastic!

A little about myself, the names Ben, I'm 23, I'm in Victoria, based in Brunswick and have just got myself a 1992 Civic EG Breeze. Obviously being a 1.3litre engine its slow as dogs balls, but being my first car I'm still happy as larry to drive the little bastard around.

So here comes the n00b questions :eek: ........ I've done a few searches and couldn't find the proper answers, they've more than probably been asked 1000's of times before, but being a n00b on here I can't seem to find what I'm after so please go easy on me.

Firstly, I've come across the phrase b16, b18 on this site and assume that the number after B represents the capacity of the engine, ie: b16 is a 1.6 litre engine. Does this mean that since I own a 1.3litre Civic EG Breeze that the engine name is B13? If not, what kind of engine do I have?

Also, being in Victoria I understand the legality between modifying your car is different across states. I'm still on my P-Plates (Green) and was wondering what kind of modifications are legal in Victoria for my car. It says on the vicroads site that "Any engine modification that increases the power of the engine" or something, but it's so ambiguous, what exactly is excluded and included within that clause? Am I allowed to install:
- Cold Air Intake
- K&N Filter
- New exhaust
What other modifications can you suggest that will give my 1.3 litre pooper a little more pow?

Also, this question is most probably gonna make a few people *facepalm* but what the hell... In my civic, near the handbrake there is a switch thats just "on/off" - I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell it's for. I've looked in the manual and theres nothing there. Apart from current modifications on the car, it's just had its windows tinted and alloy wheels put on. Any ideas?

Found out that at one point in its life the car must have had neons installed and it was the on/off switch for it. Neons for me.... no thanks :P

The civic also doesn't have the rev display, can you suggest any aftermarket products that can show this? Please link me :) And if theres anyone in the Brunswick, Melbourne area that can suggest a good mechanic that would be great :) thanks a buncharino

I posted a wanted add on this forum, and literally 4 hours after posting the wanted ad, I had a new cluster installed. Thankyou OZHONDA and SuiJin for the cluster

So thanks a bunch for having a read and helping a n00b out, very much appreciated!!! Also, if anyone is willing to be a civic mentor for me and help me out with n00bish questions please add me on msn, my address is: benjamin_peach@hotmail.com

Much love all, thanks again :wave:

mocchi
23-11-2009, 03:47 PM
hey there everyone :wave:,

just new to the forums, joined a few days ago and have been overwhelmed by the amount of information on this site, it's fantastic!

welcome!! :d

a little about myself, the names ben, i'm 23, i'm in victoria, based in brunswick and have just got myself a 1992 civic eg breeze. Obviously being a 1.3litre engine its slow as dogs balls, but being my first car i'm still happy as larry to drive the little bastard around.

lol

so here comes the n00b questions :eek: ........ I've done a few searches and couldn't find the proper answers, they've more than probably been asked 1000's of times before, but being a n00b on here i can't seem to find what i'm after so please go easy on me.

Firstly, i've come across the phrase b16, b18 on this site and assume that the number after b represents the capacity of the engine, ie: B16 is a 1.6 litre engine. Does this mean that since i own a 1.3litre civic eg breeze that the engine name is b13? If not, what kind of engine do i have?

eg dont come with the b series engine in australia.
Only import model from jp/nz/?? Of eg6 comes with b16.
Your engine is d13 most likely.

also, being in victoria i understand the legality between modifying your car is different across states. I'm still on my p-plates (green) and was wondering what kind of modifications are legal in victoria for my car. It says on the vicroads site that "any engine modification that increases the power of the engine" or something, but it's so ambiguous, what exactly is excluded and included within that clause? Am i allowed to install:
- cold air intake
- k&n filter
- new exhaust
what other modifications can you suggest that will give my 1.3 litre pooper a little more pow?

+1 for reading the vsi. My personal opinion, dont do anything to it.
Save your money and get a better engine like dc2 integra type r engine (b18c7) or dc2 integra vtir engine (b18c2).
Or save even more and get dc5 integra type r engine (k20a2)

also, this question is most probably gonna make a few people *facepalm* but what the hell... In my civic, near the handbrake there is a switch thats just "on/off" - i can't for the life of me figure out what the hell it's for. I've looked in the manual and theres nothing there. Apart from current modifications on the car, it's just had its windows tinted and alloy wheels put on. Any ideas?

does it have pic of antenna?

so thanks a bunch for having a read and helping a n00b out, very much appreciated!!! Also, if anyone is willing to be a civic mentor for me and help me out with n00bish questions please add me on msn, my address is: benjamin_peach@hotmail.com

oh, better buy an eg cluster from Gli variant. it has tacho, this way you will have cleaner oem look.
buy it and come to my place i will help you install

mocchi waves too! :wave:

much love ben!

.:Thrasher:.
23-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Everyone has to start somewere!

You have a D series engine. The certain engine that is is you're EG is a D13B2.

Im still learning about Honda's, you will find Ozhonda very reliable/helpful from what you will learn.

SiReal
23-11-2009, 04:04 PM
good format mocchi :thumbsup:

Just new to the forums, joined a few days ago and have been overwhelmed by the amount of information on this site, it's fantastic!

A little about myself, the names Ben, I'm 23, I'm in Victoria, based in Brunswick and have just got myself a 1992 Civic EG Breeze. Obviously being a 1.3litre engine its slow as dogs balls, but being my first car I'm still happy as larry to drive the little bastard around.

picsorban lol

So here comes the n00b questions :eek: ........ I've done a few searches and couldn't find the proper answers, they've more than probably been asked 1000's of times before, but being a n00b on here I can't seem to find what I'm after so please go easy on me.

Firstly, I've come across the phrase b16, b18 on this site and assume that the number after B represents the capacity of the engine, ie: b16 is a 1.6 litre engine. Does this mean that since I own a 1.3litre Civic EG Breeze that the engine name is B13? If not, what kind of engine do I have?

The letter is the series of the engine. In the civics, they come as B or D. Your shape civic only came with D-series from factory in AUSTRALIA. You have a D13B (i think), with the number the capacity.

Also, being in Victoria I understand the legality between modifying your car is different across states. I'm still on my P-Plates (Green) and was wondering what kind of modifications are legal in Victoria for my car. It says on the vicroads site that "Any engine modification that increases the power of the engine" or something, but it's so ambiguous, what exactly is excluded and included within that clause? Am I allowed to install:
- Cold Air Intake
- K&N Filter
- New exhaust
What other modifications can you suggest that will give my 1.3 litre pooper a little more pow?

I personally wouldn't bother, work on handling and being able to throw your car around corners at nice speeds. You could get aftermarket carbies and tweak them if you're REALLY keen.

Also, this question is most probably gonna make a few people *facepalm* but what the hell... In my civic, near the handbrake there is a switch thats just "on/off" - I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell it's for. I've looked in the manual and theres nothing there. Apart from current modifications on the car, it's just had its windows tinted and alloy wheels put on. Any ideas?

Pull the cover off and follow the wires.

The civic also doesn't have the rev display, can you suggest any aftermarket products that can show this? Please link me :) And if theres anyone in the Brunswick, Melbourne area that can suggest a good mechanic that would be great :) thanks a buncharino

Get a gauge cluster from the gli variant. I havent done it myself but it may bolt up and work. Someone will confirm this.

So thanks a bunch for having a read and helping a n00b out, very much appreciated!!! Also, if anyone is willing to be a civic mentor for me and help me out with n00bish questions please add me on msn, my address is: benjamin_peach@hotmail.com

*subscirbed to gay p0rn website* jks :)

Peachy
23-11-2009, 05:18 PM
yeeeeeeeeeeow :D thanks for the responses guys, very much appreciated!

Mocchi - Great response mate! Why do you not suggest putting any engine mods? Wouldn't putting in a better air filter/exhaust/cold air intake make my little bucket of slow run a little faster?
How much do those engines cost? I've read a bit and wouldn't mind saving up for a transplant hahaha. How much more power would I gain?
In regards to the on/off buttons, doesn't have a picture of an antenna :(
Where would I also find those EG clusters from?
Where bouts you located?

SiReal - Hahahaha picsorban lol. I'll get some pics up once I get rid of the stupid Breeze stickers and give the car a clean. The second day I had it i took and got it cleaned professionally, the very next day it rained ****ing hard, dirty rain too and now the car is dirtier than ever. Bloody Melbourne rain! There goes $50!!! :mad:

mocchi
23-11-2009, 05:23 PM
yeeeeeeeeeeow :D thanks for the responses guys, very much appreciated!

Mocchi - Great response mate! Why do you not suggest putting any engine mods? Wouldn't putting in a better air filter/exhaust/cold air intake make my little bucket of slow run a little faster?

how much faster you think you gonna get with those mods on a D13? hahah
personally i wouldn't bother. as sireal said might as well invest in suspension mods cos you can use it later on when you swap engine.
but it's up to you, if you want to mod your D13 then by all means do it, but i personally wouldn't cos im poor and i cant justify the cost vs gains.

How much do those engines cost? I've read a bit and wouldn't mind saving up for a transplant hahaha. How much more power would I gain?
this you need to think abt what you want first.

In regards to the on/off buttons, doesn't have a picture of an antenna :(

Where would I also find those EG clusters from?
from wreckers sells $50. you might be able to bargain down to $45?
hahah
places to go: self serve wreckers on clayton road?
check here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259)

Where bouts you located?
im around south east melb man, get the cluster first lol

SiReal - Hahahaha picsorban lol. I'll get some pics up once I get rid of the stupid Breeze stickers and give the car a clean. The second day I had it i took and got it cleaned professionally, the very next day it rained ****ing hard, dirty rain too and now the car is dirtier than ever. Bloody Melbourne rain! There goes $50!!! :mad:

i washed my car yesterday, using grey water hehe.
save water and money.

WATAJK
23-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Brunswick!!
Nice bro, u near me haha

lithium
24-11-2009, 09:45 AM
welcome :) there's nothing wrong with an EG breeze - they're pretty badass for a 1.3L engine, and because Honda make the best gear shift in the business they aren't as slow as you'd imagine.

the reason people say 'do an engine transplant' is because breathing mods such as an intake/full exhaust on your engine will only net you marginal gains. in fact extractors/headers were originally invented for large engines such as V8s, where they do work well and significantly increase volumetric efficiency. they don't make half as much difference on a 4 banger but people (such as myself when i was younger and dumber :) ) still wack them on those types of engines anyway.

if you feel your car is slow now - it'll feel just as slow after those sorts of modifications, it'll just sound louder and (arguably) better.

if you want a genuine fast-ish car you can take out the 1.3 and put in one of the type-r vtec engines - that's the transplant option. it's not cheap.

one other option out of the box is you could sell the EG and buy a 1.6 EG Si. they're only $1000 more and significantly quicker :)

Peachy
24-11-2009, 10:33 AM
welcome :) there's nothing wrong with an EG breeze - they're pretty badass for a 1.3L engine, and because Honda make the best gear shift in the business they aren't as slow as you'd imagine.

the reason people say 'do an engine transplant' is because breathing mods such as an intake/full exhaust on your engine will only net you marginal gains. in fact extractors/headers were originally invented for large engines such as V8s, where they do work well and significantly increase volumetric efficiency. they don't make half as much difference on a 4 banger but people (such as myself when i was younger and dumber :) ) still wack them on those types of engines anyway.

if you feel your car is slow now - it'll feel just as slow after those sorts of modifications, it'll just sound louder and (arguably) better.

if you want a genuine fast-ish car you can take out the 1.3 and put in one of the type-r vtec engines - that's the transplant option. it's not cheap.

one other option out of the box is you could sell the EG and buy a 1.6 EG Si. they're only $1000 more and significantly quicker :)

Thanks for that dude, however bought the breeze with rego and roadworthy for super super cheap wouldn't wanna go through the hassle of selling and re buying again :)
Having said that, I'd love to do an engine swap as it'd help me understand a ****tonne more about engines and cars. I've been looking around and can't for the life of me find a b16 apart from ebay. How much do these tend to sell for? Couldn't be more than $2500?

Brunswick!!
Nice bro, u near me haha

Yeah man Brunswick REP!!! Highest crime rate in Vic hahaha.... well probably not but feels like it anyway. Where bouts you at?

WATAJK
24-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks for that dude, however bought the breeze with rego and roadworthy for super super cheap wouldn't wanna go through the hassle of selling and re buying again :)
Having said that, I'd love to do an engine swap as it'd help me understand a ****tonne more about engines and cars. I've been looking around and can't for the life of me find a b16 apart from ebay. How much do these tend to sell for? Couldn't be more than $2500?

Yeah man Brunswick REP!!! Highest crime rate in Vic hahaha.... well probably not but feels like it anyway. Where bouts you at?

Coburg man ;)
welcum to Ozhonda man

24-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Coburg man ;)
welcum to Ozhonda man

wow its weird how close us 3 are. im from fawkner lol.

WATAJK
24-11-2009, 03:11 PM
wow its weird how close us 3 are. im from fawkner lol.

Im pretty sure i know who u are lol
Believe or not
Ur username rings such a bell its not funny...
Your first name wouldn't happen to be nick would it?
if im right i know who u are LOL
Dw all good :P

25-11-2009, 01:52 AM
Im pretty sure i know who u are lol
Believe or not
Ur username rings such a bell its not funny...
Your first name wouldn't happen to be nick would it?
if im right i know who u are LOL
Dw all good :P

i dont know if i should be scared?

lol

pm on details on how you know me if thats cool.

WATAJK
25-11-2009, 04:59 AM
i dont know if i should be scared?

lol

pm on details on how you know me if thats cool.

Relax man..
All good..
I know u better then u fink =)
Ill explain l8er via pm, headin to work

Ben u got major plans for the EG or juz light work?

Red_EG4
25-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Welcome Mr. Peach
Wonderful little car you have and you'll be glad you bought into the Honda family.
My opinion may differ from others but I'll lend it to you anyway.

Put simply, if you're on a low dispensable income I would suggest holding off on modifying the Breeze and save for something newer and all round a better package.

If you've simply fallen in love with the EG shape and can't see yourself in another car, start saving your dollars. Honda's can be some of the most expensive cars to modify in Australia simply due to the low supply of quality parts.

The run down on engine transplants into your Breeze is pretty straight forward to me.
1. Your car is not running EFI(Electronic Fuel Injection) and therefore you can't just drop an EFI engine in and drive away. You'll need an EFI fuel tank and fuel lines to name a few of the parts.
2. You can't just grab the engine and plug her into you standard wiring. You will probably need a matching ECU(Engine Control Unit) and the wiring to go with it.
3. The Breeze is great for sleeper status. Leave the stickers on, a stock looking exhaust, keep it quiet and chuck in a B18C or B16A engine(along with the needed brake/suspension upgrades) and watch other drivers jaw drop as they just got beaten by something resembling their hairdressers car or grandma's shopping trolley.
4. Being on your green P plates in Victoria knocks the idea of an engine transplant straight out of the picture, unless you enjoy running the risk of being caught. Other people have done it, I personally wouldn't. It really depends how lucky you feel and how well you think your local cops will know a Honda engine bay.
5. Don't forget insurance, if you haven't got it then get it. If you're only on third party then you are allowed more freedom than a full comprehensive policy but it pays to enquire about what you would be covered for, before modifying your car.
6. With the added power of a new engine you definitely need to at least swap out those rear drum brakes for some in the disc variety.

The price of an engine varies from seller to seller and always reflects the history, quality and parts included. Look around on these forums and don't be afraid to check out forums from the USA(they've done almost everything possible with the EG Civic). There is a wealth of knowledge all over the net about Honda engine swaps. There's even a book published about them, spending 50 bucks on that book could save you a lot of time and hassles.

To conclude, many of the answers you seek are on this forum. The search feature isn't the best system but give it a good work out and you'll be well on your way to beginning your knowledge of Civic EG Engine swaps.

mocchi
25-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Welcome Mr. Peach
Wonderful little car you have and you'll be glad you bought into the Honda family.

Put simply, if you're on a low dispensable income I would suggest holding off on modifying the Breeze and save for something newer and all round a better package.

If you've simply fallen in love with the EG shape and can't see yourself in another car, start saving your dollars. Honda's can be some of the most expensive cars to modify in Australia simply due to the low supply of quality parts.

The run down on engine transplants into your Breeze is pretty straight forward to me.
1. Your car is not running EFI(Electronic Fuel Injection) and therefore you can't just drop an EFI engine in and drive away. You'll need an EFI fuel tank and fuel lines to name a few of the parts.
2. You can't just grab the engine and plug her into you standard wiring. You will probably need a matching ECU(Engine Control Unit) and the wiring to go with it.
3. The Breeze is great for sleeper status. Leave the stickers on, a stock looking exhaust, keep it quiet and chuck in a B18C or B16A engine(along with the needed brake/suspension upgrades) and watch other drivers jaw drop as they just got beaten by something resembling their hairdressers car or grandma's shopping trolley.
4. Being on your green P plates in Victoria knocks the idea of an engine transplant straight out of the picture, unless you enjoy running the risk of being caught. Other people have done it, I personally wouldn't. It really depends how lucky you feel and how well you think your local cops will know a Honda engine bay.
5. Don't forget insurance, if you haven't got it then get it. If you're only on third party then you are allowed more freedom than a full comprehensive policy but it pays to enquire about what you would be covered for, before modifying your car.
6. With the added power of a new engine you definitely need to at least swap out those rear drum brakes for some in the disc variety.

The price of an engine varies from seller to seller and always reflects the history, quality and parts included. Look around on these forums and don't be afraid to check out forums from the USA(they've done almost everything possible with the EG Civic). There is a wealth of knowledge all over the net about Honda engine swaps. There's even a book published about them, spending 50 bucks on that book could save you a lot of time and hassles.

To conclude, many of the answers you seek are on this forum. The search feature isn't the best system but give it a good work out and you'll be well on your way to beginning your knowledge of Civic EG Engine swaps.

7. have a coke and smile :D

youre so helpful mang.

Peachy
25-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Responses below :) Thanks for your comments mate, they're very very helpful :D

Welcome Mr. Peach

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there. I've absolutely in la la la love with the EG shape, the way it rides, way it feels and the way it looks. Can't comment much about the power thus yet, as being a 1.3 litre, I think I can accelerate quicker on a road bike (as in push bike hahahha :p ).

That's not a bad idea at all hahahaha. I saw this street drag go down between a SV6 Holden and an EG civic one day, and I tell's ya, the civic absolutely smashed the balls off the SV6. Funny thing is, the SV6 had the alloy wheels, was dumped and was visually tricked in every way possible, and the civic which pwnd it had stocko hub cap wheels hahaha. Made me LOL hard.

So I can't put a b16 in legally? How about a D series engine? Is that still illegal?

Yeah once I have enough information to make an informed decision on whether or not an engine swap is legal and worth it I will definitely be upgrading the rear drum brakes.

25-11-2009, 07:53 PM
b16a is the best way to go for a eg. its not to heavy to oversteer or understeer the chassis of the car and it has a hell of alot of power.

Red_EG4
25-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Responses below :) Thanks for your comments mate, they're very very helpful :D

Any engine swap that isn't another D13 is illegal for a green P plater.
The way I am hoping to go about things is to save up until I'm off green P's and buy the best quality parts I can. Then pretty much do everything at once! Sounds simple enough to me *touch wood*.
Not saying my way is the best way, you need to find the way that suits your situation and your needs best.

As you said the VicRoads website isn't very specific with it's 'no performance enhancing mods'. The way I have interpreted it is that the only things I would risk throwing on are a cat back exhaust and perhaps a high flow filter. I'm not sure how the carbies go with new filters or even if they are available.
There's plenty of people on here with performance mods. I think you just need to decide your risk to reward ratio.

mocchi
25-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Any engine swap that isn't another D13 is illegal for a green P plater.

can you tell me from where did you come to that conclusion?
im sure the vicroads says that if its a replacement engine for that car, its fine?

Red_EG4
25-11-2009, 11:16 PM
can you tell me from where did you come to that conclusion?
im sure the vicroads says that if its a replacement engine for that car, its fine?
yeah so it would have to be a D13 to be a replacement.
swapping in a higher capacity engine increases the vehicles power which is against P plate laws.
Just the way I understand. Will be glad to be proven wrong :)

mocchi
25-11-2009, 11:44 PM
yeah so it would have to be a D13 to be a replacement.
swapping in a higher capacity engine increases the vehicles power which is against P plate laws.
Just the way I understand. Will be glad to be proven wrong :)

oh nah, not attacking you or anything just wondering because i thought the power to weight restriction only applies to old p platers.

SuiJin
26-11-2009, 01:37 AM
hey peachy :p guess what popped :p ill show ya next time you come around hahaha.

Red_EG4
26-11-2009, 02:13 PM
oh nah, not attacking you or anything just wondering because i thought the power to weight restriction only applies to old p platers.
No I knew you weren't, I was just saying if my understanding of the laws is incorrect then I'd be quite happy.
Yeah but modifications that increase power are illegal.

Peachy
26-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Just called Vic roads and spoke with someone who told me that following is illegal for Green P platers:
- Pod Filter
- Intake
- Exhaust
They really do mean quite literally, anything that enhances engine performance.....

According to a conversation with a Vicroads employee, any engine conversion is illegal unless the engine you are putting in came as an 'option.' What does that mean vicroads??? Does that mean that putting in a D16a8 would be 'ok' as they came in the EG Civics. But is that an 'option?'
Vic Roads was very ambiguous even on the phone.

Spoke to Archie who does the engineer certificates, and he said that swapping over engines is fine, just as long as the engine isn't older, and just as long as its within the power to weight ratio for a P -plater.

Wow what a mix up of information... But things got even clearer.

I called back vicroads and was given the Power to weight ratio formula which is:

Power (KW) / Weight x 100

For a p plater, it must not be over 100kw. The current vicroads website has a different formula, the one above is the new one to use.

Conclusion for me:
If I want to do an engine swap, I can do one without having to get an engineers certificate only if I find an engine replacement identical to the engine I have in my car. Link from Vicroads:

"1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle
The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants). The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine have been completed."

However, if I want to get a higher capacity engine of a different model, the engine must not be older than the build of the chassis. AND, the power to weight ratio using the above formula, must not exceed 100killerwasps. AND, I will also require a VASS engineers certificate, which quote from Archie Robertson is $680.
Below from vicroads as well:

"2. Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used
You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre for an inspection of the vehicle to confirm the new engine details. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form [PDF 24kb] and provide VicRoads with:

a VASS Approval Certificate from a VicRoads Vehicle Assessment Signatory
an original receipt for the purchase of the engine as proof of ownership of the engine"

Questiarinos:
1. Weight of a Honda Civic EG BReeze 1992? Or just approx weight of a EG hatchback?
2. In the second quote above from vicraods it states "Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used" - Is this required when doing an engine transplant for a b16a?

Archie Robertson 9729 9776

lithium
26-11-2009, 04:01 PM
good post :) the weight of an EG breeze is around 950kg

i think the b16a was not offered as a factory option in any EGs sold locally in Australia, so i imagine you will need an engineers cert to put one in. on the other hand according to the info you've given, you can put in a D16 as it was sold here as a Civic Si (but don't go this path as you can just buy a Civic Si for a fraction of the cost of replacing an engine!)

26-11-2009, 05:02 PM
good post :) the weight of an EG breeze is around 950kg

i think the b16a was not offered as a factory option in any EGs sold locally in Australia, so i imagine you will need an engineers cert to put one in. on the other hand according to the info you've given, you can put in a D16 as it was sold here as a Civic Si (but don't go this path as you can just buy a Civic Si for a fraction of the cost of replacing an engine!)

from what ive heard, eg hatch weights around 800 kg. i could be wrong though.

WATAJK
26-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Problem is that the new P Plates laws are so fricken gay..
Well refering to any1 who got there license bak in 08 onwards..
No engine mods...
SIGH.
Been hearing u can have a CAI and cat back only though
Got a catbak :P
xD

mocchi
26-11-2009, 05:04 PM
a guy i know replaced his sohc vti (ej8) to a b16 without an eng. cert.
he went to vicroads and just submit a form to replace engine number and done.

how does that work?

mocchi
26-11-2009, 05:05 PM
from what ive heard, eg hatch weights around 800 kg. i could be wrong though.

stock? youre wrong.

lithium
26-11-2009, 05:37 PM

how does that work?

hmm i can't say for sure as i'm in NSW and deal with the RTA. but i suspect that you can fill in a form and vicroads will just change the records on your rego.

this doesn't mean that it's legal though! if you're pulled over and a cop suspects the engine isn't a legal engine swap, and you don't have an engineers certificate, he'll defect you and then off to the pits you go, where they'll look a lot more closely.

26-11-2009, 06:00 PM
stock? youre wrong.

from what ive been told the registration is in accurate when mentioning the weight of the eg's. im not saying this is so, im just saying this is what i have heard because yes i do find it hard for them to be 800kg.

and yes completely stock standard.

mocchi
26-11-2009, 06:23 PM
from what ive been told the registration is in accurate when mentioning the weight of the eg's. im not saying this is so, im just saying this is what i have heard because yes i do find it hard for them to be 800kg.

and yes completely stock standard.

yeah youve heard wrong, dont tell anyone.
check out yonas's car gutted, still 845 i think or somewhere around there no driver.

and lithium, yeah different regulations every state im sure of it. just dont understand the conflicting infos thats all.

V73C
26-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Probably one of the best typed up threads for a noob thread. easy to read.

Red_EG4
26-11-2009, 08:26 PM

how does that work?
was he on P plates?
If you're off P plates it comes down to displacement IIRC.

Just called Vic roads and spoke with someone who told me that following is illegal for Green P platers:
Questiarinos:
1. Weight of a Honda Civic EG BReeze 1992? Or just approx weight of a EG hatchback?
2. In the second quote above from vicraods it states "Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used" - Is this required when doing an engine transplant for a b16a?

Archie Robertson 9729 9776
Great to see someone actually call up instead of just going on here say.
Well as usual the laws sound very ridiculous in my opinion.

Doesn't your rego label give you a figure for the weight?
Putting a B16A in doesn't require any structural customisation. Uses standard engine mounting points.

When did you get your P's Ben?

mocchi
26-11-2009, 08:43 PM
was he on P plates?

Doesn't your rego label give you a figure for the weight?
Putting a B16A in doesn't require any structural customisation. Uses standard engine mounting points.

cant remember if he was on his p or full actually lol. i should ask.

his breeze weight is 1 ton. exactly 1 ton from honda civic 1992-1995 specs hatch. (http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/86a313804631ecf1b467fcc677bb9647/Civic_Hatch_Specs_Sep94.pdf?MOD=AJPERES)

even though b16 doesnt require aftermarket mounts, it's not listed in the brochure so i would assume that what it means by "replacement engine".

and on oct '93, the breeze is equipped with the d15 engine (http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Honda.com.au/Home/Owners/Previous+Models/Civic/1992+-+1995/). i think d15z2 (67kw), got d15 breeze carby engine (the wreck too) in my backyard.

im sure this is a replacement engine. well, 99% sure.

Peachy
26-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Probably one of the best typed up threads for a noob thread. easy to read.

Thanks mate much appreciated :D. I made sure I did my research. Being a user on another forum for 6 years, I know how frustrating it is to read threads and *facepalm*

was he on P plates?

Hahaha yeah I figured I might as well get all the facts right cuz there's so much ambiguity on the subject... When's somebody gonna give me some reputations points hahahah :P:P:P

Thanks for the information about the engine mounts, very helpful :)

Got my green plates October 2008.

his breeze weight is 1 ton. exactly 1 ton from honda civic 1992-1995 specs hatch. (http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/86a313804631ecf1b467fcc677bb9647/Civic_Hatch_Specs_Sep94.pdf?MOD=AJPERES)

Terima Kasih boss :) :P

Red_EG4
27-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Got my green plates October 2008.
Was that when you first got your license? haven't been on Red P Plates before that?

If you only got your license in Oct '08, the Power to Weight ratio law means nothing for you, your laws are more strict.

27-11-2009, 07:35 PM

looks like thats a 1.5L Breeze.

Peachy
18-08-2011, 07:14 PM
MASSIVE bumpage!

Since all these questions about the EG Breeze my car progress and knowledge (although still limited) has been increased dramatically all thanks to my love for Hondas and the countless threads I've read on here from very insightful, educated Honda fan boys (is that derogatory?)
I still have the EG Breeze and I still love it, despite the fact that my girlfriend severely dented the quarter rear panel and passenger door. She took a corner too close and there was a big ass metal pipe protecting the corner of the building. Soft EG shell VS Metal = Metal Wins

Anyway, long story short, after that happened it was time for a new car. I had the usual n00b questions, DC2 vs DC2R, DC2 vs Prelude, DC2r vs Prelude Vti-r, DC5 VS DC2R, DC5R vs DC2R, EP3 Vs DC2R/DC5R etc etc etc. To no surprise, all these questions were answered by all you loving folk at Ozhonda and now I have a DC5R!!!!!!!!

Man this car drives insanely well compared to the good ol' breeze!!! I LOVE IT!!! I picked it up yesterday and today put RE002's on the front.

Anyway, big thanks to all the Ozhonda members out there who provide super useful information, you have made my car decision buying easier!!

Love Love
Ben

x3cindymichael
13-09-2011, 12:32 PM

- Cold Air Intake
- K&N Filter
- New exhaust

Found out that at one point in its life the car must have had neons installed and it was the on/off switch for it. Neons for me.... no thanks :P

I posted a wanted add on this forum, and literally 4 hours after posting the wanted ad, I had a new cluster installed. Thankyou OZHONDA and SuiJin for the cluster

Hey Ben. i'm a noob too but i've had a eg breeze before as well and gone through 3 egs all different .. haha fun little cars..

my eg3 (breeze) had everything setup for track was just missing the engine , but i sold it off for $4000 to get my b series swap eg4.

as for your question about b series - that is a variant of the series of engines which Honda has made, they come in d series, b series, j series, f series, k series and maybe more thats all i can think off from the top of my head . they come in sohc (single overhead camshaft) and dohc (double overhead camshaft) as well as vtec and non vtec . your eg breeze is a d series, d13b2 (same engine as my old breeze) carby 1.3 L Non vtec. yeah i agree with you this engine is hella slow , but got me from point a to point b. Also from my experienced Honda have very reliable engines, my breeze engine never failed on me.

modifcations: yes modifications are usually illegal in most states .. but many people still do it. i myself have never been asked to pop the bonnet of my any of my cars (well any of my hondas) my old toyota cynos got its hood popped and it had a pod filter sticking out (not secured) cops didn't say a thing , just waned to make sure i wasn't running a turbo ( as i'm on provisionals) . You have 2 choices for better air flow , either short ram intake (short pipe to pod filter - go k&n filters my recommendation) , or CAI (cold air intake) - longer pipe which connects to pod filter , but pod filter is tucked behind the tyre out of sight. Advantages of the CAI are that it gives always cold air , however disadvantages would be water getting in and harming your engine. For my breeze i just had a pod filter mushroom pod connected to the carby. When attaching the pod filter onto your carby you can take the clips of your carby and removing the stock filter then clip back on your carby. As for exhaust, i wouldn't really bother , however better flow is always sufficient. You could get a straight through 2 " exhaust (any more and you'd be losing power). or a proper exhaust system made up running a high fly catalytic converter. My breeze was running standard exhaust piping with a x-force twinloop muffler attached, was very quite , but didn't sound stock. For my breeze i didn't really have any engine mods besides the mushroom pod filter. However my car had a nice set of coilovers which made the car grip really well and was just awesome for playing on mountains and stuff. I also had a c-pilar bar, blox lower control arms (polished) , function 7 lower control arm (polished) and beaks bar (polished underneath) .. kinda made a disco :D . I mainly did my car for looks seeing as i wasn't going to be racing due to no speed. Added a spoon duckbill wing (replica) on , front OEM eg6 lip, civic type r rear lip, wings west style side skirts, debadged, eg6 foglights (not wired up) , amber corners from jdm yard, 15" racinghart wheels in DIY green, headunit and 4 speakers (good sound was just missing the sub), blue led parker lights and installed remote central and alarm for easy of mind, as well as type r gear knob and type r style door trims. My car always got looks and was mistaken for a eg6 many times. Hope this helps, but those are the simple mods i had on my breeze which made it look nice and clean while a simple looking eg6 to others.

Hope this helps !
goodluck with your car :D

hubla
13-09-2011, 01:02 PM
you know what your problem is you dont have a southern cross sticker on the back of your car, get that and your car should be good.