PDA

View Full Version : coilovers...what do i need

michael_antoi
24-11-2004, 12:35 PM
i dont know much about them besides the fact that i can adjust the height if i have coilovers..

so wat parts would i need..

i found this on ebay and was wondering wat else i would need to buy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7936401774&category=33582

William
24-11-2004, 12:45 PM
shocks,

ive never heard of the brand.

your best to buy them local

shipping will be a bitch

wlee2
24-11-2004, 12:50 PM
umm $48 us for coilovers!!!... dont get me wrong here but they seem to be a little cheap =P.. even if they are second hand. but seriosly i would recomend you NOT to buy those unless you know what they are. there some nice Coilover brands out there like tiens koni DMS or HKS i dont remember any of them been even close to that price. multiply the reserve price by 40 and you have yourself the price of most coilovers =P.. they usually are more expensive

EG5
24-11-2004, 12:51 PM
thats a coilover sleeve only

Kawasaki
24-11-2004, 12:57 PM
umm how about using the as a general rule. NEVER buy any performance parts off Ebay, 99% of the time they are dodgey no-name rip offs. NEVER NEVER

Never ever

michael_antoi
24-11-2004, 01:59 PM
i wasn't gonna buy that shit..

just looking to see what's out there

wlee2
24-11-2004, 02:24 PM
well while instaling most of the stuff can be done using a nice rachet set =P. using your stock wheel lug removers. a couple of car stands and a decent jack.. and plenty of patients. and make sure you get the RIGHT coilovers for your car.. .

big problem here is the difference between fork and that eyeball thing that the ITR uses. i think civic uses the fork type. i think =P.. i think you might need spring clamps to remove the mount thing that the coils sit on unless they supply that for you. i have to say though having tried both =P its easier to get someone else to do it =P..

michael_antoi
24-11-2004, 04:51 PM
i was told that this is a good brand to buy here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7936057453&category=33582

would that be all i need to have an adjustable height..?

i plan on getting a mechanic to do it for me...

wlee2
24-11-2004, 04:54 PM
i always though coilovers came with shocks as well i guess not =P.. its better with the whole shocks thing though.. atleast i think so

LowEk
24-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Hey i have fulcrum coilovers they are not that expensive really worth every cent spent on them very easy to fit i fit them myself in about 3hrs i just had to use the stock top bearing plate i left them in and undid the shock from the bottom and it came out easy u just need a jack under the lower control arm while u undo the bottom of the shock.

LowEk

CTR Coupe
24-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Here’s a good article on coil overs.

http://www.norcalcrx.org/tyson/coilover.html#07

Most guys in the states run ground control coil overs with new shocks (KYB, Koni, Tokico, etc) the great thing about these is that they use Eibach springs so if you want to change the spring rate you just have to buy a set of the Eibach springs.

DO NOT JUST BUY SLEAVES REPLACE THE SHOCK ABSORBER AS WELL!

One of the traders is selling D2 Racing coil overs for a decent price, but these are made in Taiwan.

I hear that Honbits are selling coil overs at a decent price but haven’t really heard much about them.

Your probably going to need to spend around $1,500 to get a decent setup that’s going to last. If that’s not in your budget, just get some nice lowered springs and new shocks it’s going to give you better handling than cheep crappy coil overs.

LowEk
24-11-2004, 08:02 PM
i nearly got the D2's but they were still in customs and were going to take a few weeks and i did not want to wait so i got fulcrums the next day.

LowEk

joneblaze
24-11-2004, 09:09 PM
As mentioned the coilover sleeves originating from the US have received a pretty bad review all round. They're quite "stop gap measure".

I have a set of Tein NA's for sale, fully height and damper adjustable. PM me if interested. Fits EG and DC. :)

carbine
24-11-2004, 09:21 PM
skunk2 and omni are pretty good sleaves. Both same design
ground control are the best coilover sleaves.

saboteur
26-11-2004, 11:57 AM
I love my Koni coilovers, they bottom out if you totally dump your car and don't get their aftermarket bump stops though, so keep that in mind. They aren't much more expensive than the Japanese ones like Tein either.