PDA

View Full Version : Wistle

Saint Luke
23-11-2009, 09:56 PM
I picked up my dc4 on friday and got it on the road yesterday evening, all seems well considering (that rear crossmember is strong!) , however there is a small problem... a whistle. Its at part throttle so its obvious its a vacuum leak somewhere. At first i was hoping the previous owner put some sort of fake turbo or something in the inlet as its problem solved but that was wishful thinking.

Its a stock b18b with a pod filter, so i thought the airfilter could be causing some whistling, not a proper seal somewhere. Removing that or the inlet pipe didnt fix it so its going to be either the throttle body or manifold. Ive checked all vacuum lines and all are connected and theres no obvious leaks.

Ive not owned any hondas before, so before i go ripping the inlet manifold off, is there anywhere that they commonly leak? Im hoping its going to be a quicker fix that pulling the inlet manifold off as ill probably leave it for when i replace the clutch and mounts.

GSi_PSi
23-11-2009, 10:19 PM
If its whistling when you tap the accellerator its the pod filter. If you listen close enough it should be hummming slightly on idle aswell.

Saint Luke
23-11-2009, 10:36 PM
its when you hold the throttle partially open when driving - say between 1/4 and half. its a whistle not a sucking sound...

phaz
23-11-2009, 10:44 PM
It's the pod air filter, i first heard the whistling as soon as i put mine in.

GSi_PSi
23-11-2009, 10:56 PM
yeah its the filter if u tap it will sound like its sucking in air

Saint Luke
24-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Ive removed the pod filter, then removed the remaining intake pipe from the throttle body but it still whistles so its not either of them. Its almost as loud as and similar pitch to a loose fanbelt, it happens at part throttle so theres a vacuum leak somewhere in the inlet manifold. All vacuum lines are correctly connected so i was just asking if they commonly leak from somewhere hoping for an easy fix rather than pull the inlet manifold off

juns
24-11-2009, 09:54 AM
there's nothing wrong with the whistle, it's just how the integra intake works- like what GSi_PSi said it's just when it sucks in air, there's always been a whistle in my car (dc2r), i've never had a problem, there are also no leaks whatsoever as i've actually connected my pod filter straight to the intake manifold, it's nothing you should be concerned about

Neesmo31
24-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Yeah mate i have the same thing on mine (but its not a problem) just was very noticeable when i put the power chamber on. Nothing to be worried about mate.

ChiLLie
24-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Mine does the same, and if u control the throttle well enough, u can get it playing notes on mine. almost pulled off twinkle twinkle little star once.. only get 2 notes though so tough nonetheless :)

Neesmo31
25-11-2009, 06:12 AM
lol gold. play the ice cream tune and watch the kids run!

Saint Luke
25-11-2009, 09:36 AM
haha, oh well. Not to worry - Ive been in plenty of aspirated cars with pod filters tho and the only ones that have wistled were ones with leaky manifolds. Nothing a turbo cant fix :). Cheers for the feedback - now i dont have to pull off the manifold

GSi_PSi
25-11-2009, 12:52 PM
did u need 5 other ppl to repeat what i said until u believed it loll...

higuys
25-11-2009, 11:27 PM

rofl hahaha.

Had same problem when i first bought my dc2r. After research found out that the integra is known to blow off that whistle sound

Saint Luke
26-11-2009, 10:14 AM

Nothing personal, just that the only cars ive been in that whistled like that had some sort of vacuum leak. This being the first honda ive owned, ive not heard of them doing it is all. Thanks for the help tho, saved me a bunch of unecessary work althought in some ways it would have been better if it was a leak as its fixable, this i have to turn a blind ummm... ear whenever i drive it.

juns
26-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Nothing personal, just that the only cars ive been in that whistled like that had some sort of vacuum leak. This being the first honda ive owned, ive not heard of them doing it is all. Thanks for the help tho, saved me a bunch of unecessary work althought in some ways it would have been better if it was a leak as its fixable, this i have to turn a blind ummm... ear whenever i drive it.

Lol.. It's not that big of a deal, I quite like the whistle note while driving. You'll eventually get used to it and it wouldn't even bother you, but if you really want it gone I'd recommend you put in the stock airbox with stock filter, that's if it's not already one. When I had my stock box in and stock filter there were no whistling whatsoever. You can give that a try

Saint Luke
26-11-2009, 07:23 PM
yeah i guess im a bit pedantic when it comes to crap like that haha. Its all good tho, i bought the car like this on friday, but wouldnt change back to the stock airbox and filter if it fixed it. Ive got a 480hp turbo/wastegate/550cc injectors/intercooler/big throttle body and a microtech ecu sitting in my garage from an old 180 so its good motivation to get some of that on the car. First things first tho - trying to hunt down a nice set of white 17's that arent too expensive.....

Is there a way to legally put a non-airbag wheel on my car in qld?

EDIT - i read that it can be replaced with a non-airbag wheel up here if it was optional, ive read 2 sites and one said it was standard on the 95 gsi, and the other said it was optional. Anyone know which one it is?

Tegraww
10-02-2010, 03:05 PM
iv got the same car as you but 97

i enjoy the whistle that comes from my pod filter!
and so should you! :D

trentd
11-02-2010, 08:31 AM
there's nothing wrong with the whistle, it's just how the integra intake works- like what GSi_PSi said it's just when it sucks in air, there's always been a whistle in my car (dc2r), i've never had a problem, there are also no leaks whatsoever as i've actually connected my pod filter straight to the intake manifold, it's nothing you should be concerned about

lol engine heat much