PDA

View Full Version : just a question about engine modding

integragsi96
24-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Ok so i have a 1996 gsi integra with a b18b2 engine. I have been chatting to one of the guys on here about it. Just wonder weather just to do a straight engine swap to get a vti-r engine in my car or wether just to put a b16b head onto my b18b2.
So im just wondering what would have the best outcome? with power as i know the gsi, vti-r and type r all have the same torque of 135nm.

Giraffe
24-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I don't think you could put a b16b on without doing some mods and tuning .

duckey
26-11-2009, 01:01 AM
if you want to put a vtir engine in it...youre better off just selling the GSI and buying a VTIR straight off. saves you headaches, time and money.

Terrano08
26-11-2009, 02:02 AM
u want a b20b block and a vtec head of some sort im sure the best preference would be b16

u mad?
26-11-2009, 02:27 AM
i vote b20vtec

and the b18c7 (audm dc2r engine) has 172 Nm of torque rather than 135 Nm.

02gzm
26-11-2009, 07:55 AM
It would be cheapest, more powerful and more reliable selling the GSi and buying a VTi-R.

A B16 head on a B18 block will only marginally raise the compression from the stock 9.6:1 to just under 10:1. You'll then need a new computer and piggyback to add vtec control and A/F ratio adjustment to allow the car to actually run properly. You'd still be stuck with a 4.2 final drive GSi gearbox too.

integragsi96
26-11-2009, 08:37 AM
or would it just be easier just to buy a b18c7 or h22a engine and gearbox and just drop that

bennjamin
26-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Ok so i have a 1996 gsi integra with a b18b2 engine. I have been chatting to one of the guys on here about it. Just wonder weather just to do a straight engine swap to get a vti-r engine in my car or wether just to put a b16b head onto my b18b2.
So im just wondering what would have the best outcome? with power as i know the gsi, vti-r and type r all have the same torque of 135nm.

1st.

All of those combos will not reap such a great deal of HP or FEEL on your car.
A waste of money for the above.

Do this.

Take out some static weight of your car - reduce the rim size if you can. Get a HD clutch and lightweight flywheel.

Most importantly get a ITR DC2R gearbox. The shorter final drive and slightly different 1/2 gearset increases performance considerably....and the swanky diff helps with feel and cornering.

And , look at a upgraded rear swaybar + mounting kit such as ASR or BEAKS.

string
26-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Bennjamin hit the nail on the head - best bang for buck NA mod is gearing. You can put a new clutch and light flywheel in while your box is off too.

If you've ever driven a DA9 you'd know just how crippling the DC4 non-VTEC gearbox is. The final drive is ridiculously long. I thought that mentions of 4.266:1 were errors until I drove one myself.

seihoa
26-11-2009, 10:11 AM
did turbo come into your mind?
thats if ur not a P plater.

As everyone said better off selling it n buyin a vtir or type r as they are pretty cheap these days.

Save urself the headache of an engine swap and finding an engine.

integragsi96
26-11-2009, 11:17 AM
did turbo come into your mind?
thats if ur not a P plater.

As everyone said better off selling it n buyin a vtir or type r as they are pretty cheap these days.

Save urself the headache of an engine swap and finding an engine.

yehh turbo has come into mind, but the unfortunate thing is that im a p plater.
i wanna also manual convert my car too....hmm probs cheaper getting a dc2...but i cant afford one right now lol

integragsi96
26-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Bennjamin hit the nail on the head - best bang for buck NA mod is gearing. You can put a new clutch and light flywheel in while your box is off too.

If you've ever driven a DA9 you'd know just how crippling the DC4 non-VTEC gearbox is. The final drive is ridiculously long. I thought that mentions of 4.266:1 were errors until I drove one myself.

yehh the gearbox is annoying. i can get quite a few cars off the mark but the final gear is just soo long...its painfull

u mad?
26-11-2009, 02:34 PM
so it's auto aswell?

sell up and buy a vtir or type R

integragsi96
26-11-2009, 03:12 PM
so it's auto aswell?

sell up and buy a vtir or type R

my cars a repairable write off lol, i wouldnt get $4000 for it

u mad?
26-11-2009, 03:46 PM
thats a good deposit for a vtir lol

02gzm
26-11-2009, 04:02 PM
my cars a repairable write off lol, i wouldnt get $4000 for it

The cost of an engine swap/transmision conversion would buy you a VTi-R.

bennjamin
26-11-2009, 04:19 PM
The cost of an engine swap/transmision conversion would buy you a VTi-R.

Cut it close.

B18c2 plus manual gearbox conversion around $4-5k , combine that amount with what you would sell the car as is and you would get a clean vtir ready to rock. But it won't be much faster only real difference is manual.

integragsi96
27-11-2009, 07:46 AM
well vti-r has 124kws VTEC as where my gsi (stock as a rock) only has 107kws non VTEC, well i dont have the money right now for manual conversion, but i was just seeing opinions before hand so i dont save up for the wrong thing.
how much do you think i could get a 98 vti-r with some minor mods like rims lowered and a couple of other things?
from my research the average for that is round $13,000

02gzm
27-11-2009, 11:41 AM
well vti-r has 124kws VTEC as where my gsi (stock as a rock) only has 107kws non VTEC, well i dont have the money right now for manual conversion, but i was just seeing opinions before hand so i dont save up for the wrong thing.
how much do you think i could get a 98 vti-r with some minor mods like rims lowered and a couple of other things?
from my research the average for that is round $13,000

That's P-plate tax... You can pick up a Type R with lots of k's on it for that much these days.
Try around 7-10 grand for a VTiR.

integragsi96
27-11-2009, 11:45 AM
That's P-plate tax... You can pick up a Type R with lots of k's on it for that much these days.
Try around 7-10 grand for a VTiR.

hmm 7-10 sounds alright...just gotta save for it now

bennjamin
27-11-2009, 01:15 PM
well vti-r has 124kws VTEC as where my gsi (stock as a rock) only has 107kws non VTEC

you would be suprised how little that 20kw extra peak makes. Not much if any difference. IMO a GSi and a vtir are very even performance wise.

integragsi96
27-11-2009, 01:17 PM
you would be suprised how little that 20kw extra peak makes. Not much if any difference. IMO a GSi and a vtir are very even performance wise.

yehh but i dont have the edge of VTEC and mines auto

bennjamin
27-11-2009, 01:22 PM
yehh but i dont have the edge of VTEC and mines auto

in this case....VTEC is NOT an edge its only more noise at the upper RPMs.

lol.

Your main issue , is AUTO. Change that , and you will have a faster car.

Either manual conversion or sell the car and buy a manual.

integragsi96
27-11-2009, 01:26 PM
in this case....VTEC is NOT an edge its only more noise at the upper RPMs.

lol.

Your main issue , is AUTO. Change that , and you will have a faster car.

Either manual conversion or sell the car and buy a manual.

but isnt vtec where once you have reach a certain rpm the second cam which is a racing or a performace cam kicks in giving you more pull?
yehh pretty much over auto. want a manual but i cant afford that till i get alot more money

bennjamin
27-11-2009, 01:30 PM
but isnt vtec where once you have reach a certain rpm the second cam which is a racing or a performace cam kicks in giving you more pull?
yehh pretty much over auto. want a manual but i cant afford that till i get alot more money

well yes , VTEC cam does engage and there is alittle more pull. But in THIS CASE it is not worth it. Look at a B18C7 engine ( type R) if you want more noticeable power.

VTEC isnt everything dude.

integragsi96
27-11-2009, 01:38 PM
well yes , VTEC cam does engage and there is alittle more pull. But in THIS CASE it is not worth it. Look at a B18C7 engine ( type R) if you want more noticeable power.

VTEC isnt everything dude.

maybe not soo. but theres not as many mods for a b18b2 then there are for b18c2, therefore its harder to source parts

bennjamin
27-11-2009, 01:49 PM
maybe not soo. but theres not as many mods for a b18b2 then there are for b18c2, therefore its harder to source parts

Most modifications for the B18c2 , fit and can be used for the B18b. It too , is a B series engine and shares many parts.

You can use the same headers , clutches , flywheels etc. Only the head is the different part.

jdm_b16a
27-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Let me see if I have this right?

You're a young bloke on P plates, who has just bought an Honda Integra as a salvageable wreck and fixed it up to get it registered. That is admirable - you win brownie points for your effort there. You've been on this forum for a month or two.

I can get quite a few cars off the mark ...

Now you've only had your car a short time and already your not happy with it's performance. You want to upgrade to a more powerful engine. Why, so you can drag other young blokes off in "traffic light derbies". Not a wise move, no matter what state you're in. You're disappointed in your new car because you haven't been able to beat everybody you've come up against. My mind now flashes with visions of the Nightly News where you see S2000s, Type Rs and other performance cars split in half or wrapped around poles/trees. Inevitably someone has died, and there's footage of the mother/girlfriend/sister/mate all saying what a likable young man the deceased was.

You have an automatic gearbox too, and that is holding you back. You want to do a manual conversion to a sportier gearbox, maybe a Type R, with slicker shifts and faster changes. You want, in essence, to spend a lot of money making your new car faster.

My point, enjoy the effort you have put in to get your car on the road, save your money and be sensible in how you spend it. Nearly everyone on here will encourage you to get that Type R/B20VTEC engine and a slick-shift new gearbox. You probably feel like your in heaven with all this enthusiastic promotion of bigger engines and higher performance but don't let it cloud your common sense. You're young, you're on P Plates. Don't get carried away.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do your car up, and as some have suggested there are better ways to enjoy your car and make it more enjoyable. I hope you love your Integra - Hondas are great cars, as you said, well made and great fun to drive. You're in I.T. so you probably make reasonable $$$ - spend it wisely but you don't have to blow everything you earn.

I'd love to see more photos of your car. How about you create a Photobucket/tinypic/etc account and post some up for us to see. There will be plenty of suggestions on how to improve your "ride" - suspension, brakes, interior, wheels, etc. Just don't go overboard on the "power trip"; there's more to enjoying a car than beating people at the traffic lights.:zip:

That's it from me. I know you're going to say 'what a dick this guy is' and I probably deserve it (in some ways), but at least think about your options. Cars are fun but you have to be alive to enjoy them.

Then again, maybe I've read too much into this. :eek:

Peter

integragsi96
27-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Let me see if I have this right?

You're a young bloke on P plates, who has just bought an Honda Integra as a salvageable wreck and fixed it up to get it registered. That is admirable - you win brownie points for your effort there. You've been on this forum for a month or two.

Now you've only had your car a short time and already your not happy with it's performance. You want to upgrade to a more powerful engine. Why, so you can drag other young blokes off in "traffic light derbies". Not a wise move, no matter what state you're in. You're disappointed in your new car because you haven't been able to beat everybody you've come up against. My mind now flashes with visions of the Nightly News where you see S2000s, Type Rs and other performance cars split in half or wrapped around poles/trees. Inevitably someone has died, and there's footage of the mother/girlfriend/sister/mate all saying what a likable young man the deceased was.

You have an automatic gearbox too, and that is holding you back. You want to do a manual conversion to a sportier gearbox, maybe a Type R, with slicker shifts and faster changes. You want, in essence, to spend a lot of money making your new car faster.

My point, enjoy the effort you have put in to get your car on the road, save your money and be sensible in how you spend it. Nearly everyone on here will encourage you to get that Type R/B20VTEC engine and a slick-shift new gearbox. You probably feel like your in heaven with all this enthusiastic promotion of bigger engines and higher performance but don't let it cloud your common sense. You're young, you're on P Plates. Don't get carried away.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do your car up, and as some have suggested there are better ways to enjoy your car and make it more enjoyable. I hope you love your Integra - Hondas are great cars, as you said, well made and great fun to drive. You're in I.T. so you probably make reasonable $$$ - spend it wisely but you don't have to blow everything you earn.

I'd love to see more photos of your car. How about you create a Photobucket/tinypic/etc account and post some up for us to see. There will be plenty of suggestions on how to improve your "ride" - suspension, brakes, interior, wheels, etc. Just don't go overboard on the "power trip"; there's more to enjoying a car than beating people at the traffic lights.:zip:

That's it from me. I know you're going to say 'what a dick this guy is' and I probably deserve it (in some ways), but at least think about your options. Cars are fun but you have to be alive to enjoy them.

Then again, maybe I've read to much into this. :eek:

Peter

nahh im not gonna be all your a dick and that, i have more common sence and smarts then that. ok so your right that dragging from the lights seem fun (which they are) but i rarely do it due to damage, cops, or if others are in my car. im not gonna go for a b20vtec yet. i just got my p's and i havent got alot of experience yet. but id love for my car too look good and sound good. yehh with the power id like a bit more but i dont wanna spend tens of thousands on the car. but lowered, look nice, lip, rims. and the performance headers, cat, cai and twinloop muffler and a couple of other things to make the ride sweet

integragsi96
27-11-2009, 03:05 PM
here's some pics throughout my fixing. but i cannot seem to find when it was fixed:

IMG]http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae337/merbitch/untitled.jpg[/IMG]

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae337/merbitch/untitled1.jpg

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae337/merbitch/untitled3.jpg

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae337/merbitch/untitled7.jpg

now as you can see there needs to be an alignment with the bonnet and front bar, well im now like 1cm off in the middle...spewin but i needed to have a 4x4, engine hoyst winch and metal templates made up.

integragsi96
27-11-2009, 03:07 PM
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae337/merbitch/untitled.jpg