PDA

View Full Version : New noise

98vtir
25-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Hello,

I started noticing a noise when recently but only when I am turning right. How far I am turning right has no bearing on how loud the noise is but the RPM's definately have an affect on this noise i.e. I was doin laps of a roundabout and put it in neutral and kept the revs up and the noise was getting louder when the revs were climbing.

The sounds is kinda hard to explain but there is no clunking or crunching its more of a rubbing sound, kinda like wwwrrrrrrrr mixed with engine sound and goes away when I straighten up. A mate suggested it may be my diff but I thought I'd get a few ideas from here until I get to my mechanic... Another thing is it isnt apparent while stationary, while sitting in the back yard I turned it full lock and revved and no weirdo noise.

Any idea? Thanks in advance!!

akira
25-11-2009, 01:19 PM
tyres rubbing? or maybe check your sus.

98vtir
25-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Cheers, I'll have a stickybeak around, my tires used to rub only on full lock but don't anymore and it's a different sound to tyres rubbing the guard, plus this is only while turning right and not while turning left and the speed im going or if it's in gear doesnt seem to influence the noise much, only engine rpm, it still made the sound when in neutral and rolling. I'll do a few more experiments, it's not very loud but you can definately hear a change in 'normal' engine noise.

BrendanR
08-12-2009, 11:59 PM
I believe i have this same problem, only recently started to occur. Let me know if you work/worked it out

~Sp33~
10-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Hello,

I started noticing a noise when recently but only when I am turning right. How far I am turning right has no bearing on how loud the noise is but the RPM's definately have an affect on this noise i.e. I was doin laps of a roundabout and put it in neutral and kept the revs up and the noise was getting louder when the revs were climbing.

The sounds is kinda hard to explain but there is no clunking or crunching its more of a rubbing sound, kinda like wwwrrrrrrrr mixed with engine sound and goes away when I straighten up. A mate suggested it may be my diff but I thought I'd get a few ideas from here until I get to my mechanic... Another thing is it isnt apparent while stationary, while sitting in the back yard I turned it full lock and revved and no weirdo noise.

Any idea? Thanks in advance!!

It's not going to be the differential if the noise is rev's dependent.

Power steering pump perhaps?

98vtir
11-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Cheers SP33, it's got me buggered what it may be. But then again I know bugger all about the detailed workings of a car, only the basics :P Hopefully something simple..

I'll get me mechanic to sus it out next week

98vtir
21-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Well just for the sake of tying things up it was an engine mount that had ripped out on the passenger side, it was messign up one on the other side as well.

aaronng
21-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the update. Will be helpful if someone else has the same problem in the future.

pablos8
24-05-2010, 11:08 AM
I have this problem currently but im not sure mines is affected by revs, mine gets louder the faster i go even if low revs or neutral while its moving it still makes noise, sounds like its coming from the back and gets louder when turning right :(

the sound isnt there when going like 0-30k's but above that u can hear it, gets worse when turning right

~Sp33~
24-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Wheel bearing?

pablos8
24-05-2010, 06:10 PM
whats the best way to check?

~Sp33~
24-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Jack up the corner of the car that you suspect and try and pull the wheel from side to side (at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock) checking for play. Also if it's off the ground spin the wheel and listen for a grinding not-smooth rotation.

pablos8
24-05-2010, 08:41 PM
alright will do, how much would i be looking at to get it fixed?

pablos8
25-05-2010, 06:41 AM
I tried moving the wheels they didn't budge at all :( any other suggestions?

AlexK
25-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey mate, that problem is your Power steering belt, when u turn right it makes this ringing sound then when u get high up in the revs it makes it again even sometimes follows on to the next gear, all u need to do is tighten it so take it to your local mechanic.

pablos8
25-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Hey mate, that problem is your Power steering belt, when u turn right it makes this ringing sound then when u get high up in the revs it makes it again even sometimes follows on to the next gear, all u need to do is tighten it so take it to your local mechanic.

Hey bud, thanks but are you sure its the power steering belt? the sound doesnt really sound like a ringing noise its sort of more like a whirring noise :( and it sounds like its coming from like the back area of the car, like the rear 2 wheels.. except for the sound from when i turn right.. that whirring noise gets louder and sorta sounds like its coming from the front. who knows im pretty sound retarded so it might be coming from the front
ill get my mechanic to have a look, hopefully this is the problem :(

meanwhile any other suggestions appreciated

98vtir
25-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Get your mechanic to check the mounts :P Sounds like the noise I was hearing, I took my mechanic for a drive Jan/Feb and he couldn't hear it so it wasn't till I got a service and a look over for him to change a mount; it wasn't till a couple days after I noticed it was gone. The mount was the only thing he did to it that it could of been. I got service, timing belt, a new mount and another one it was affecting botled back in. Just a suggestion.

~Sp33~
25-05-2010, 10:21 PM

How the hell did you manage to come to that conclusion?

Mullensxxx
25-05-2010, 10:31 PM

Get your mechanic to check the mounts :P Sounds like the noise I was hearing, I took my mechanic for a drive Jan/Feb and he couldn't hear it so it wasn't till I got a service and a look over for him to change a mount; it wasn't till a couple days after I noticed it was gone. The mount was the only thing he did to it that it could of been. I got service, timing belt, a new mount and another one it was affecting botled back in. Just a suggestion.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/chumdab/roooooooofl.jpg

dude dont listen to these guys haha, from what u have said dude it sounds like a wheel bearing, i had the same problem, like a dull roar sound when the car had load on that side it made the noise alot louder

ill bet my car it wont be ur belt or engine mount lol

~Sp33~
25-05-2010, 10:34 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/chumdab/roooooooofl.jpg

dude dont listen to these guys haha, from what u have said dude it sounds like a wheel bearing, i had the same problem, like a dull roar sound when the car had load on that side it made the noise alot loud

ill bet my car it wont be ur belt or engine mount lol

BAHAHA, *likes this post*