PDA

View Full Version : Paintwork scratches on brand new Euro

Howsat
25-11-2009, 06:52 PM
I am new to ozhonda and hope to share my experience I have had with honda dealerships. I purchased a new Euro early last month. I was very cautious with my purchase as two years ago I bought a brand new 2007 Euro with marks and scratches on delivery. I believe this car was from yard stock and had been around a few months. The dealership had done a poor job cleaning it up. Dealing with the dealers about the problem was like dealing with little children. I was in and out of there dealer ship several times till I got fed up and got Honda Australia involved. The end product was satisfactory but did not feel like a new car anymore to me.
I since traded that Euro for a MY10 model Luxury model from another dealership. At the time of delivery I inspected the car with caution and did spot a couple of scratches which I did not mention at the time and though I will keep a note for the first service. Stupid me. The dealership mucked
up my slimline plates and had another pair put on. Just as I was to leave the dealership I went around the front and noticed a long scratch was put on the bumper. I was shattered and looked at the salesmen then drove off in disgust.

At the first service I drew something up detailing the scratch locations and also detailed instructions. I was very concerned whether their detailers are up to standard.
Guess what, they weren't. They botched up the respray of a section of the bumper, which was done without my knowledge. They caused buff marks on the bonnet and mudguard which can easily be seen. They had left overspray on each side of the doors and grille and marked the headlights. The scratches in question weren't even attended to.
I was so angry and upset at the time. The sales manager said to me that this is to Honda standards. I got so fed up with his crap I left with my car in that state.
I have since have got Honda involved and hopefully they will sort it out without having to deal with the dealership.
I just can't help bad luck. I will be left with another new car with a patched up paintwork from abuse of the dealership. Very very disappointed with it all.
For all those looking at buying a new car spend a lot of time inspecting the car at delivery inside and outside.

Type R Positive
25-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Turn a negative into a positive, time for mugen body kit!

demons21
26-11-2009, 09:09 AM
I am new to ozhonda and hope to share my experience I have had with honda dealerships. I purchased a new Euro early last month. I was very cautious with my purchase as two years ago I bought a brand new 2007 Euro with marks and scratches on delivery. I believe this car was from yard stock and had been around a few months. The dealership had done a poor job cleaning it up. Dealing with the dealers about the problem was like dealing with little children. I was in and out of there dealer ship several times till I got fed up and got Honda Australia involved. The end product was satisfactory but did not feel like a new car anymore to me.
I since traded that Euro for a MY10 model Luxury model from another dealership. At the time of delivery I inspected the car with caution and did spot a couple of scratches which I did not mention at the time and though I will keep a note for the first service. Stupid me. The dealership mucked
up my slimline plates and had another pair put on. Just as I was to leave the dealership I went around the front and noticed a long scratch was put on the bumper. I was shattered and looked at the salesmen then drove off in disgust.

At the first service I drew something up detailing the scratch locations and also detailed instructions. I was very concerned whether their detailers are up to standard.
Guess what, they weren't. They botched up the respray of a section of the bumper, which was done without my knowledge. They caused buff marks on the bonnet and mudguard which can easily be seen. They had left overspray on each side of the doors and grille and marked the headlights. The scratches in question weren't even attended to.
I was so angry and upset at the time. The sales manager said to me that this is to Honda standards. I got so fed up with his crap I left with my car in that state.
I have since have got Honda involved and hopefully they will sort it out without having to deal with the dealership.
I just can't help bad luck. I will be left with another new car with a patched up paintwork from abuse of the dealership. Very very disappointed with it all.
For all those looking at buying a new car spend a lot of time inspecting the car at delivery inside and outside.

Mate,

Sorry to hear your story mate. Where are you located? I will not take my car to certain Honda Servicers as they have a poor reputation. I am based in Brisbane and I know that Highway Honda do a good job (usually) and I will not take my car back to Southside Honda...

I bought a new Toyota for my partner and went through weeks of arguments with the dealership over the Quality standards. Its funny when you get in to a "stand up" argument with 3 salesman and the manager, how quick a show room floor clears out... Small victory to me I got our Salesman Fired!!!!

Snowcone
27-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't have even accepted the car in the first place.
Should have just walked out the door and told them to call you when they get a new one for you.

Howsat
28-11-2009, 09:52 AM
The dealerships are based in Melbourne's west. I cannot come to terms that at the time of picking up my car after the first service and supposedly fixing up the paintwork the sales manager thought I was too fussy and difficult. These dealerships have no idea of what a good finish should look like and rely on the new owner to do the work they should be doing. I do hope Honda takes a stance on this and actually reprimand the dealership. But that is wishful thinking. I think after a Xmas party this will all be forgotten.
Good on you Demons21, now that is justice. You deserve a medal in my books. Snowcone you are dead right I should have not accepted the car then.
Just wondering can you refuse to take possession of a car if you find faults with it at delivery. Meaning can you ask to get another car?

buddah51au
28-11-2009, 07:45 PM
Always go over a new car with a fine tooth comb, both in sunlight & shade, 1 panel of the time prior to signing any paperwork. Never accept a new car with any paint blemishes or scratches under any circumstances. I would never accept an offer to respray any effected areas as it is impossible to match factory finished Baked Enamel.

If you find a problem & they want your business it is up to them to supply you with a new car with faultless paintwork. If a new car has been touched up before a sale you can usually pick it if you look hard enough.

albii
29-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Unfortunate to hear..But you would be very surprised just how many supposed brand new cars go through a panel shop before being sold.

buddah51au
29-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all Alibi, thats why i say to thoroughly check them before you sign any paperwork. If you know what to look for you can pick sections that have been re-sprayed.

albii
29-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Back in 06 i bought a mazda b4000 and it had paint defects that went un noticed by me.
I contacted the dealer and mazda aus and demanded they replace my ute.
They responded that they would respray it and i said i had paid for a new ute not a respray. So after 4000km and 2 months they replaced it with the same spec ute.
No such issues this time. I just picked up a new BT50 that is immaculate.
Apparantly it was only the 2nd time mazda aus had replaced a car.

jdm_b16a
29-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Just wondering can you refuse to take possession of a car if you find faults with it at delivery. Meaning can you ask to get another car?

Absolutely. When my wife and I decided to buy a new Honda Euro Accord Luxury back in 2006 we did all the research, comparing it to other similar models including the plasticky Mazda6 and the more expensive Subaru Liberty. We then went 'round to various dealers in Sydney including most of the well-established ones. We settled on Hornsby Honda as they offered the right price coupled with a genuine care for their customer(s). They even suggested we wait till the weekend as they were having a Sale and the car would be a couple thousand cheaper!

When we went to pick up the car (it was black leather interior and gunmetal grey exterior) I noticed a large mark on the passenger rear door. I asked the Sales Manager to look at it, and he said it would probably buff out. Thirty minutes later the car came back from their workshop and I looked at it, only to be disappointed as the buffing only exaggerated the 'ding'. I told the Sales guy and the Sales Manager that we would not be taking delivery of the car. They asked to leave it with them and collect it the following Friday.

The followinbg Friday we went again to pick up the car and the door was fixed. In fact, the dealership completely replaced the door, with the Sales Manager saying they couldn't fix it satisfactorily and I had already told them that there was to be no spraying. Hence the completely new door. Then we took delivery of the car. They even gave us some Premium floormats for our trouble.

Needless to say we don't get our car serviced there - mostly because it is too inconvenient (distance). We have our car serviced at Trivett Honda in Parramatta. So far they have been pretty good.

Never accept delivery of a car if you are not happy with it. They are playing on your desire to have a new car but don't let them hoodwink you.

Peter

jdm_b16a
29-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Unfortunate to hear..But you would be very surprised just how many supposed brand new cars go through a panel shop before being sold.

A lot. When I was at Uni (many years ago) I had a summer job at Capitol Motors (a Nissan/Datsun dealer on Parramatta Rd at Lidcombe). We moved the new cars from the holding yard a couple of kms away down to the detailing workshop, then to the showroom and for delivery. At least 2 in 3 had picked up dings coming from the wharf. Most cars were 'touched up' here and there, usually bumpers and door marks. I don't know what the hit rate is these days, but as you say, many new cars go through the panel shop. All the motor companies have what they call an acceptable rate for new cars. As I said in my previous post, the dealerships can repair/respray a percentage of the car and it is still classified as a 'new car', which, technically, its not. Does anybody know what the industry acceptable standard percentage is? I think its something like two panels.

Peter

UNLS1
30-11-2009, 08:08 AM
im sorry to hear u had such a bad experience at time of delivery and the dealer has handled it in a bad way..

one problem i have picked is that you noted the scratches on delivery but didnt tell the salesman. Bringing up at first service means nothing as those scratches could of come from anywhere and the dealer could say 'well they were not mentioned at time of delivery so they are not responsible'

Next time if u see the scratches on pick up note them down, and get the manager to inspect them before you leave.

tron07
30-11-2009, 09:35 AM
seems to me you didnt learn from your mistake... I wouldnt have accepted the car if it was damaged or not up to my satisfaction

Howsat
30-11-2009, 12:41 PM
You guys are right and I am suffering from my short comings. I should have looked at the car far more cautiously. I am glad to see there are a lot of people out there that are cautious in terms of delivery quality. I know of people that don't even bother looking for faults, some are lucky and some aren't. This certainly is a lesson I have been thought. Look and look again over and over, doesn't matter how much it bugs the salesman.
I am pushing to get a brand new honda factory painted front bumper bar and not have my current one resprayed. Not sure how honda is going to react because I do get the feeling they are still doing this for the interest of looking after their dealership not the customer. Dealerships sell their cars. So I have to be stern to honda aus and get what I would like not what they want. Thanks to all that have responded.

chris41
30-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Definitely spend the time at delivery going over every inch of the car in and out.
Dont worry about holding up the rep (hes getting paid for his time and your paying for it). I noticed a deep scratch on the lower part of the dealer fitted
front aero bumper on delivery and it was repaired at the first service. I also had a scratch repaired on the rear aero bumper, due to my own fault, unfortunately the repairer left permanent buff marks in the lower matt section of the bumper which I noted on pick-up. The service manager looked at it and admittedly, carefully rubbed/buffed an Armor All type product into it which temporarily made the mark disappear, only to reappear the first time I washed the car at home.

SPQR
30-11-2009, 10:50 PM
..one problem i have picked is that you noted the scratches on delivery but didnt tell the salesman. Bringing up at first service means nothing as those scratches could of come from anywhere and the dealer could say 'well they were not mentioned at time of delivery so they are not responsible'

Next time if u see the scratches on pick up note them down, and get the manager to inspect them before you leave.

Very correct and very good advice.

One of my tenants was a crash repairer. He made his bread and butter from repairing lots of "new" cars from dealers before they made an appearance at dealerships.