PDA

View Full Version : I hit skippy and now i need a new bonnet

Temp3st
26-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I was driving back from a mate's place last night when a roo hopped out in front of me and i hit it with the left side of my civic, but luckily the civic hasnt been written off, however my front bumper is busted (luckily its also fibreglass and is easily fixed) and my bonnet is bent inwards at such an angle ive had 3 quotes today and they all say its going to be cheaper just to get a new bonnet. So as im fairly clueless about it where would be a good place to get a new bonnet for an ek4 in qld? I'd go carbon fibre except ive been told they are illegal for street use :( Any help would be much appreciated!

kcokla
26-11-2009, 05:06 PM
get a carbon fibre one
and spray it black
still illegal but no one will know

hisoka
26-11-2009, 05:21 PM
get a carbon fibre one
and spray it black
still illegal but no one will know

have you ever tried to spray carbon fibre, cause it does not sound like you have mr internet panel beater

not as easy as you think

Temp3st
26-11-2009, 05:24 PM
Im with Hisoka on that one, and not just that being a small town the cops are fairly clued up because of the amount of modified cars around here so it wouldnt work anyway. But at least that answers my one question about carbon fibre ><

EDracer
27-11-2009, 11:20 AM
i didnt think it was all that hard to spray. it already has a clear coat on it, all you need do is ruff it up with some 400 wet/dry sand paper. wipe over with prepsole. quick spray over with the color of your choice (ie fast light spray over whole surface), wait for it to get tacky/sticky to touch, and spray main coat. cover with clear when ready and all good.
Please correct me if im wrong, but this is what i did to the CF parts i had on my previous motorbike and it looked fantastic.

kcokla
27-11-2009, 11:54 AM
have you ever tried to spray carbon fibre, cause it does not sound like you have mr internet panel beater

not as easy as you think

you are quite right, i havent.

but unless its impossible, its still my suggestion - or rather get a carbon fibre bonnet and get it sprayed black

dougie_504
27-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I know that CF is super light but I wouldn't buy it and spray it because I reckon that would ruin the point of having the sexy little weaves.
Just source a normal bonnet?

flipfire
27-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Any pics of the damages?

Sp00n
27-11-2009, 01:06 PM
if you hit another skippy.. *touch wood you don't of course..*
wouldn't the bonnet shatter?

hisoka
27-11-2009, 02:18 PM
depends on the situation. it could just cut skippy in half lol, and fk up your radiator support and front bar lol. or yeah it could shatter

EDracer
27-11-2009, 02:43 PM
it could shatter. but then you could go all "drifter cool" and stitch it back together with zippyties. get that fankenstien look lol.
seriously it would shatter and be useless to you after another hit. best bet would be to get another bonnet, maybe from a wrecker. or maybe call an importer and see if they have any good bonnets from halfcuts they would part with?

minhkore
27-11-2009, 03:07 PM
hahah hisoka .

Temp3st
27-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Hmm EDracer you might be onto something there mate really appreciate that. Ill get some photos up when i can be bothered taking them have been running around for the last 2 days getting quotes and shit to fix it