PDA

View Full Version : 96 EK CIVIC: ENGINE light turns on while driving

ydrift
26-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi all, i own a 96 EK civic, after work while driving home engine light decides to turn on. thing is, i turn off the car and turn it back on the engine light doesnt come back on. when i drive to work or to the shops in the same day engine light doesnt turn on.

its happened 3 days in a row now, once an awhile engine light decides to turn on. just wondering what courses the orange engine light to turn on.

i have oil and coolant in the car.
there are no leaks what so ever.

whats doing on, what can i do

cheers

bennjamin
26-11-2009, 09:16 PM
been pretty hot yeah ? Might be ICAV playing up or distributor sensors playing up.

How does the car run - blows any smoke at any rpm ?

ydrift
26-11-2009, 09:33 PM
car drives well, very smooth, no white smoke nothing.

thought it could be the heat, twice engine light went on while driving it with air con but today i had the air con off, did 8km and engine light turn on, this was on the freeway. while in traffic i quickly turned off/on the car. did another 30kms and engine light didnt appear. wierd

EDracer
27-11-2009, 11:15 AM
i would check the oil pressure. my D16 has the same thing. the engine light is on, but unfortunalty i could not find the problem in time, and the oil pump died. causing the hydro lifters to sick and the engine seize. :( no motor for me. so i would check that.

plus side i have found a new motor now after 3 months, picking it up on sat, YAY!
good luck finding the problem, i hope for your sake it was nothing like mine

beeza
27-11-2009, 11:18 AM
^^ Great info mate,cheers!

Check that!!

bennjamin
27-11-2009, 01:04 PM
just a thought.

my car too...has randomly flicked the MIL light on and off recently. Noticeable HEAT induced.

Turns out CYP (code 9 ) - so its the sensor that is playing up. Heat is a big factor in older honda parts.

Do a ECU test and see what code/s you bring up. It will give you a place to look at first.

timoding
27-11-2009, 06:03 PM
Hey mate.

I may know whats wrong. Recently I just installed my body kit myself. I changed my lights to projector lights too. Once completed I turned on my lights and 1 light wasn't working. I thought thats strange, I'm pretty sure I checked everything before finishing up. Anyway, the problem was simple. I opened the bonnet and pressed down on the wires and the light worked again. I think it might have to do something with the wireing. Did you recently do anything to your lights? Or change your front bumper? DO anything to your engine etc? Could be the wireing. Faulty bulb? I had wires everywhere. Duct tape them together and sealed it up neatly, so the motor doesnt fry it. ( happened before (.
Anyway , hope that helps. May post some pics for you later on if you want.

ydrift
28-11-2009, 05:24 PM
i would check the oil pressure. my D16 has the same thing. the engine light is on, but unfortunalty i could not find the problem in time, and the oil pump died. causing the hydro lifters to sick and the engine seize. no motor for me. so i would check that.

shiet hope this doesnt happen to me

Do a ECU test and see what code/s you bring up. It will give you a place to look at first.

how do i do a ECU test??

ive just replace oil filter and put new oil. its been two days now and engine light hasnt turned on,
i have fingers cross engine light wont turn on

02gzm
30-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Clicky here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67113) for ECU codes and how to check them.

EDracer
30-11-2009, 09:25 AM
shiet hope this doesnt happen to me

For your sake so do i, very very annoying i can tell you. Good new though, got new motor on sat and now im cleaning and rebuilding, so should be up and running next weekend. can not wait to be driving it again.