PDA

View Full Version : Changing Final Drive

wynode
24-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Just wondering what's involved in changing the final drive? I'm thinking countershaft and differential (?) Anything else??

ECU-MAN
24-11-2004, 10:36 PM
then you have to set the differential prelead, also replace the spidergears. $$$$$$$

blackdc2
25-11-2004, 08:15 AM
no you dont... all you have to do is replace the ring gear on the diff... not need to open the diff up....

25-11-2004, 11:48 AM
correct.. all you need is the ring and pinion..
we are running a circuit worx 4.7 ratio in the drag car..

wynode
25-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Anyone got a pic of exactly what needs to be changed?

I'll try dig out a pic and maybe someone can point it out.

Thanks

ECU-MAN
25-11-2004, 05:41 PM
no you dont... all you have to do is replace the ring gear on the diff... not need to open the diff up....
technicly the diferential is not the crownwheel and pinnion, thats the final drive, the differential as Wyn put it is the spidergears within the carrier housing wich differenciates wheel speed around cornres.

blackdc2
26-11-2004, 09:24 AM
that is nice, but your comment

"then you have to set the differential prelead, also replace the spidergears. $$$$$$$"

is wrong. wynode asked what was involved in changing the final drive.

here is a link to what wynode is wanting to change http://www.a-t-s-usa.com/ats-products/gears-final.shtml

what part of installing this do you need to set the differential prelead, and replace the spidergears??

bennjamin
26-11-2004, 06:11 PM
No need to get touchy Jase :)

Seriously - people are referring to different levels of "final gear" change. From my basic research both parties are correct to certain degrees yes ? *mental hand shakes ladies*

ECU-MAN
26-11-2004, 09:25 PM
that is nice, but your comment

"then you have to set the differential prelead, also replace the spidergears. $$$$$$$"

is wrong. wynode asked what was involved in changing the final drive.

here is a link to what wynode is wanting to change http://www.a-t-s-usa.com/ats-products/gears-final.shtml

what part of installing this do you need to set the differential prelead, and replace the spidergears??I was thinking he was thinking of changing the differential, as he stated
"I'm thinking countershaft and differential (?) Anything else??" thats why I was telling him $$$ coz its not worth changing if you just wanna do the final drive. I guess I should word things a bit better.

but even changing the countershaft and crownwheel you still need to set/inspect clearences on the countershaft

crx_16x
27-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Wynode,

Have you found a manufacturer of final drives for d-series trannies?

Or are you just asking because you are curious?

wynode
27-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Wynode,

Have you found a manufacturer of final drives for d-series trannies?

Or are you just asking because you are curious?
I was thinking of doing it while I had my gearbox apart and wanted to know what's involved.

Unfortunately the cost of changing to an aftermarket FD is more than what I hoped so I decided not to do it.

For the d-series you can go for either an EXOSPEED 4.73 (http://www.exospeed.com/Transmission/gearing.htm) or an ATS FD. Search over on d-series.org for more info.

Oh yeahh.....and thanks everyone for the replies :)

crx_16x
29-11-2004, 10:23 AM
The s30 is apparently different to the l3.
l3 owners have to go for the $950 US ats final drive.

You s30 owners have it easy 4.7 fd for $477 US!

wynode
29-11-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm not too sure on the l3 tranny, but d16a8 owners run an s20 tranny.

Also, there are some differences between the S20 and S40 boxes so i'm not sure if the S20/S30/S40 boxes can all use the same countershaft and ring gear ?

crx_16x
29-11-2004, 11:45 PM
l3 is the cable d16a8 tranny.