PDA

View Full Version : clutch squeaking?

mugen_ctr
02-12-2009, 06:21 PM
what could b the cause? everytime i apply my foot, it makes a little squeaking noise, almost like a non oiled door? where could it possible come from? and if any is there a fix to the problem?

ps: car is civic vti 1998

booosted_civic
02-12-2009, 06:37 PM
mine had the same thing, just lubed it all up and she was sweet, no biggy :)

98vtir
02-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Bit ol' dub d 40 should do ze trick!

Vtecyo
02-12-2009, 06:55 PM
same has happend to me. It sounded like it was further away then just the pedal. But i just sprays some RP7 (or some dub d 40) around and down the cable going thought the fire wall and it stoped.

It become a little squeaking noice afew mouths later, I did the same again and it stoped :)

Red_EG4
02-12-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm told by bennjamin that such a squeak is fixed by a new clutch master cylinder.
I just opened up the boot on my GBox and lubed in there and it went away for a bit.

Mr EG
02-12-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm told by bennjamin that such a squeak is fixed by a new clutch master cylinder.

That is correct, but does he mean the clutch cylinder + reservoir the whole kit? Or just the one piece?

jks24
03-12-2009, 12:36 AM
i had the same problem when i had my ek. Just sprayed some oil on the clutch boot i think it was and it fixed it.

dougie_504
03-12-2009, 01:48 AM
I had this noise for like 6 months in my EH and it didn't really bother me.

One day I was driving through the Black Spur and my clutch just completely shat itself on the far side...had to drive all the way back to Healesville in 3rd gear. There went $1200 for parts/labour/60KM tow job.

But I'm sure they're not related :)

sloth
03-12-2009, 10:57 AM
yea my 98 EK is doing it right now, didnt really pay attention cause i just assume that it was a dub d 40 fix :P

mugen_ctr
03-12-2009, 06:58 PM
wow, jks24 ur clutched died???? now im bit paranoid...... dont wanna pay 1200 bcause i didnt pay more attention to 1 small problem, considering that iev only had the car in the last 2 weeks :(

Honwent
03-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Start by identifying where the squeak is coming from. If its inside the car then its probably the pin at the pedal pivot point...best to use a 'dry lube' (ie. a wax-like substance that does not evaporate like WD40 or RP7 etc).

If its in the engine bay, get someone to pump the clutch pedal (with the engine off and handbrake on for safety) whilst some else listens...working from the clutch master cylinder to the slave cylinder.

A squeak does not neccessary mean that a component is about to fail...but sometimes when one of the clutch cylinders are on the way out, there can be black staining of the clutch fluid caused by deterioration of seals.

Also it is not always a good idea to use WD40 or similar product on rubber items such as seals or boots as the solvents in the spray can damage the rubber.

Mikecivic78
04-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Ive recently replaced the clutch master in my em1 coupe as it was leaking. The new one squeaks and it's a brand-new OEM master cylinder.... just like in my previous '96 ej8 coupe.

This is part of the civic coupe. They all seem to squeak after a while.

Just WD40 the sh**t out of it and it should be quiet for a while.

However, I'm open to all long-term suggestions though, as the sound cheapens what is a nicely polished, slylish little car.

EK1-4SHO
20-12-2009, 12:23 PM
i had the same thing in my ek1 and turned out to be the throw out bearing

Red_EG4
20-12-2009, 06:35 PM
That is correct, but does he mean the clutch cylinder + reservoir the whole kit? Or just the one piece?
sorry I don't know.

i had the same thing in my ek1 and turned out to be the throw out bearing
well depends how you define "same".
throw bearing and the clutch cable squeak in different locations.

EK1.6LCIV
22-12-2009, 02:19 PM
open the rubber boot where the slave is spray away trying not to spray on the flywheel lol

works for a bit, dry up the residue on the floor of the garage afterwards :)

I have the clutch master and slave waiting for a rainy day when I can be fked to try, but from what I've read it is a problem that is there like shitty window motors lol

Sir_vtec
22-12-2009, 08:06 PM
did u change the clutch lately?

Fresh clutch especially exedy hd clutch can cause it due to pressure plate. Not much you can do about it but apply some lube around the gearbox clutch fork.

kraiye
24-02-2010, 08:07 PM
i know it's an old thread but, use silicon spray/lube.
9/10 times it's the master cylinder, very common (the one that the clutch pedal pushes on).
spray some silicon lube in it (not WD40/RP7 etc. these can not only eat the rubber but also penetrate to the fluid and stuff it too). no matter what you spray in it it will probably come back later. usually not too much to worry about, just check the engine bay and footwell for leaking fluid first. if leaking in engine bay, tighten the line. if leaking in footwell, replace cylinder.

EK1.6LCIV
25-02-2010, 09:43 AM
new clutch master and slave with a bleed fixed mine

CB7_OWNER
25-02-2010, 10:17 AM
where am i spraying?? is it to the left of the headers? or somewhere else?

EK1.6LCIV
25-02-2010, 10:42 AM
there's a lil rubber boot, put the lil wd40 straw in there and spray trying to avoid spraying the flywheel, some fluid will leak through, but that's ok

kraiye
25-02-2010, 07:57 PM
as above for the slave cylinder

you access the master cylinder from the drivers side foot well. you should see a rod going from the clutch pedal into the master cylinder. spray some silicon lube into the cylinder while pushing the pedal. you'll need the little straw attachment thingy to spay cause it's a bitch to get a spray can in there.

[edit] make sure you face is out of the way too 'cause silicon can really irritate your nose and eyes

markismaximus
26-02-2010, 10:24 AM
I would recommend NOT spraying anything in behind that rubber boot. If you accidentally spray your flywheel/clutch you're pretty much screwed and will have to pull the gearbox and flywheel off. maybe even get a new clutch. Your clutch relies on friction, spray some lubircant and it and you will have crazy clutch slip. The squeak can often be the diaphragm fingers moving when you clutch in. This is not something that can be lubricated so dont even try

EK1.6LCIV
26-02-2010, 10:28 AM
spraying anything that can evaporate is just fine

markismaximus
26-02-2010, 11:08 AM
spraying anything that can evaporate is just fine

pretty sure there would be some oily residue left.... someone try it and let me know if it evaporates. haha :thumbdwn:

EK1.6LCIV
26-02-2010, 11:10 AM
I have a few times, it doesn't mess anything up, excess leaks thro to the floor, just try to not aim at the fly, it's doable, worst case scanario it is average to drive for a min max

best solution is to replace the master cylinder and slave with a flush, best option

parts are $160 new (clutch master clyinder, slave and 1 bottle of brake fluid) and most shops charge $70 install and flush the oil fluid

best money you could spend every 100,000ks

CB7_OWNER
26-02-2010, 11:40 AM
master accessible via the footwell driver side. how to access the slave?

EK1.6LCIV
26-02-2010, 11:46 AM
its infront of the gear box behind the radiator, ontop of the rubber boot previously mentioned, can't miss it, it's in plain sight

kraiye
27-02-2010, 02:01 PM
follow the clutch line ;)