PDA

View Full Version : what are the pros and cons of a ep3r

tang(oO)
02-12-2009, 07:16 PM
I was just wondering what are the pros and cons of an ep3r??

I want to buy one but I can't decide if it is really worth the money or not.

Tang(oO)

burak213
02-12-2009, 07:21 PM
cons
getting old now
parts are hard to find
Insurance is a factor
better cars for the price these days
subjective styling
low consumer aftermarket
pros
fast
type R handling
recaoros
unique
plenty of support for engine

LittleDragon^^
02-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Depends on what you're after, I'd say.

Things that people usually consider when buying a car is price, k's and what they want to use it for.

So to get the ball rolling -

So what's your budget?
What do you want to be able to do with the car?
Do you want to break kilowatt records?
Do you want practicality?
etc...

If you want a car that has speed and performance while being practical and track ready and not too difficult to maintain (assuming you don't track it every week and change every original part) then the EP3-R sounds like a good choice to me. That's why I'm looking to buy one, too :)

If you want crazy power for drags then you'd want a turbo.

If you want a daily cruiser then you'd go for something a lot more tame.

A little bit off topic, sorry...

tang(oO)
03-12-2009, 08:00 AM
Depends on what you're after, I'd say.

Things that people usually consider when buying a car is price, k's and what they want to use it for.

So to get the ball rolling -

So what's your budget?
What do you want to be able to do with the car?
Do you want to break kilowatt records?
Do you want practicality?
etc...

If you want a car that has speed and performance while being practical and track ready and not too difficult to maintain (assuming you don't track it every week and change every original part) then the EP3-R sounds like a good choice to me. That's why I'm looking to buy one, too :)

If you want crazy power for drags then you'd want a turbo.

If you want a daily cruiser then you'd go for something a lot more tame.

A little bit off topic, sorry...

my budget is around the ep3 mark.

yeh im looking for something that your looking for a car that has abit of speed but at the same time is practical.

what i have doubts about atm is why do some ppl sell off the ep3 so fast. like i know 2 ppl selling their ep3 that have had it for less than a year....

is there anything wrong with it that you wont know till u have it for abit?

Philip Lee
03-12-2009, 09:58 AM
some people keep their cars for a few months only then sold off for something else;

some people's circumstances change and may need a bigger/smaller car or the money for something else like house;

some were bought by temporary residence (eg students) and when they need to leave they sell their cars;

some maybe disappointed with the car and want something faster;

some may even bought a lemon and just want to get rid of it.

etc etc

i have my Ep3 for a year and a half and i don't intend to sell mine for a few more years. there are also a few people here who have their cars longer than me.

my suggestion is, make sure an EP3 if something you want and suits you and not worry about what others do.

tang(oO)
03-12-2009, 10:03 AM
some people keep their cars for a few months only then sold off for something else;

some people's circumstances change and may need a bigger/smaller car or the money for something else like house;

some were bought by temporary residence (eg students) and when they need to leave they sell their cars;

some maybe disappointed with the car and want something faster;

some may even bought a lemon and just want to get rid of it.

etc etc

i have my Ep3 for a year and a half and i don't intend to sell mine for a few more years. there are also a few people here who have their cars longer than me.

my suggestion is, make sure an EP3 if something you want and suits you and not worry about what others do.

Thanks phil,

im just worried that their are some underlining issues with the ep3 that i may not know about and then find out after i have bought one.

SuperSteve
03-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks phil,

im just worried that their are some underlining issues with the ep3 that i may not know about and then find out after i have bought one.

just over 2 years anniversary with mine. And i luv it !

tang(oO)
03-12-2009, 10:50 AM
just over 2 years anniversary with mine. And i luv it !

thats really good to hear.

how much is a 100,000k white ep3 in good nick worth now a days?

Philip Lee
03-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks phil,

i understand how u feel.

generally if it's a good EP3, being a Honda its relatively trouble free.

however there are a few small issues that need attention but they're not major things and shouldn't cos a lot of $$ to fix.

common issues include:
- steering rack noise, apply some grease and it should be alright;
- broken engine mounts, you will need to replace them and they're around $500 for stock ones or you may consider after market solid ones;

things to look out for when u buy:
- C package, most cars are C (comfort) package which can be spotted with the rear window wiper and power folding mirrors;
- HID headlight, if the car is a C package, it should have factory HID. some cars were fitted with helogen during compliance so you should check if this is the case;
- things that you will need to check for any used car.

the EP3 is pretty easy to live with. just do your oil change and checks regularly and it should be fine.

ps. if i missed anything, please free feel to chip in.

Philip Lee
03-12-2009, 11:00 AM
thats really good to hear.

how much is a 100,000k white ep3 in good nick worth now a days?

realistically around 20 - 25k.

does it come with any mods etc?

tang(oO)
03-12-2009, 11:01 AM
realistically around 20 - 25k.

does it come with any mods etc?

stock as a rock

Philip Lee
03-12-2009, 11:04 AM
owner's car or dealer? recently imported? any history?

tang(oO)
03-12-2009, 11:14 AM
owner's car or dealer? recently imported? any history?

owner's imported like a year ago, yeh they have log books to back up the ks

LittleDragon^^
03-12-2009, 06:50 PM
my budget is around the ep3 mark.

yeh im looking for something that your looking for a car that has abit of speed but at the same time is practical.

what i have doubts about atm is why do some ppl sell off the ep3 so fast. like i know 2 ppl selling their ep3 that have had it for less than a year....

is there anything wrong with it that you wont know till u have it for abit?

There aren't any major issues with the EP3R as far I've learned from reading the EP3R threads here. Those people have probably just decided the car wasn't for them??

Thanks phil,

Be aware that the pre 2004 EP3Rs had a few little problems that were ironed out in the post 04 EP3Rs...only minor problems that seem to have caused more annoyance than anything dangerous or costly.

lumghini
03-12-2009, 09:18 PM
cons
getting old now
parts are hard to find
Insurance is a factor
better cars for the price these days
subjective styling
low consumer aftermarket
pros
fast
type R handling
recaoros
unique
plenty of support for engine

Just allow me to add something to the pro part.. If you're comparing the ep3 with the dc5 or many other 2door car.. It's much much more spacious and has plenty of headroom.. And being a jdm it's got the k20a instead of the k20a2(which most of the dc5 in Australia has)...which has a lil more juice in it..

damienm
03-12-2009, 09:36 PM
pros- its not as slow as the other type Rs
cons- looks like a slime from slime sports, ITR looks way better
just get an S15

tang(oO)
04-12-2009, 06:52 AM
There aren't any major issues with the EP3R as far I've learned from reading the EP3R threads here. Those people have probably just decided the car wasn't for them??

Be aware that the pre 2004 EP3Rs had a few little problems that were ironed out in the post 04 EP3Rs...only minor problems that seem to have caused more annoyance than anything dangerous or costly.

Do you know what kinda annoyance?

tang(oO)
04-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Just allow me to add something to the pro part.. If you're comparing the ep3 with the dc5 or many other 2door car.. It's much much more spacious and has plenty of headroom.. And being a jdm it's got the k20a instead of the k20a2(which most of the dc5 in Australia has)...which has a lil more juice in it..

yeh cause I like the room in the ep3

but one thing like the dc5 is that it has hydraulic steering and not ep3.

has anyone had any problems with the electric?

lumghini
04-12-2009, 10:31 AM
yeh cause I like the room in the ep3

but one thing like the dc5 is that it has hydraulic steering and not ep3.

has anyone had any problems with the electric?

I kinda like the electric though... At least for daily driving.. It's so much more lighter compared to the dc5..

tang(oO)
05-12-2009, 04:16 PM
i got an ep3 now.

Latino CRX
05-12-2009, 04:22 PM
im also chasin a ep3r now after seein some really nice ones..

but the downside that throws me off is the gear shifter that sits in the dash looks like somethin u find in a ppl mover van :p

tang(oO)
05-12-2009, 04:24 PM

but the downside that throws me off is the gear shifter that sits in the dash looks like somethin u find in a ppl mover van :p

Well i haven't had the car for long but once i drove it didn't feel too bad. i know it looks a bit different but.

Latino CRX
05-12-2009, 04:26 PM
yeh i think i just need to test drive one .. before started noticing the ep3r's i was goin to get DC5R soo yeh mite just have to test drive before i make final decision

SuperSteve
05-12-2009, 05:10 PM

definately test drive 1 first to see if u like where the shifter is.

lumghini
05-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah.. The shifter needs a few drive to get used to..

Philip Lee
05-12-2009, 10:21 PM
And once u are used to it, it's second nature and make the normal position seem odd.

LittleDragon^^
06-12-2009, 05:44 PM
The Type R is a racing car. The shifter comes out of the dash so it hovers right next to the driver.

mtonep3
06-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Seriously the shifter is So easy to shift with. I find it alot easier and gear changing a bit faster. Bad thing about it is u cant rest your arm and hand there. Gets tiring after long drive. But other than that. It's an impressive design.

tang(oO)
08-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Seriously the shifter is So easy to shift with. I find it alot easier and gear changing a bit faster. Bad thing about it is u cant rest your arm and hand there. Gets tiring after long drive. But other than that. It's an impressive design.

yeh i know like i drop my arm to rest and its just like a big drop

Philip Lee
08-12-2009, 02:30 PM
yeah but huge storage space in the middle FTW.

tang(oO)
08-12-2009, 02:49 PM
yeah but huge storage space in the middle FTW.

yeh the storage is pretty awesome.

how long have u had ur ep3 for philip?

Philip Lee
08-12-2009, 03:32 PM
^ since June 08 and loving every minute of it.

tang(oO)
08-12-2009, 03:33 PM
yeh i would have to say im pretty happy with mine.

did u import urs or get it local?

Philip Lee
08-12-2009, 03:40 PM
imported mine with a friend. if i'm to do it again, i'll buy from IMG @ Sydney.

didn't save much $$ and a lot of hassles to deal with.

SuperSteve
08-12-2009, 03:41 PM
hehe when my arm gets tired i just hold onto the steering wheel and if i get tired of that just rest it on the handbrake

Nepolian
08-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Pro: Almost everything!

Con: Slower than a GTR and I don't get to drive it enough!

SuperSteve
08-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Pro: Almost everything!

Con: Slower than a GTR and I don't get to drive it enough!

if u want more klm's on ur car ill swap ya for awhile george :p cmon u know u wanna :p

c01567
16-12-2009, 10:33 PM
What other cars in the same price range are similar for a daily? ATM all I can think of is an MX5.

Nepolian
16-12-2009, 10:40 PM
What other cars in the same price range are similar for a daily? ATM all I can think of is an MX5.

Sorry dude, I might be missing the point! But what is similar between an EP3 and MX5??

Don't answer 'It has four wheels' cause thats about it!

For the price range you have Gen 4 R32 Golf / maybe Focus XR5 / MPS3 have dropped in price / Corolla sportivo / DC5R/S .............

Malenic1981
18-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I had my EP3 for over the year and so far I just love it, it's very eazy to maintain, nothing goes wrong with it and it suprises a lots of other cars hehe, just a regular oil changes and it's bulletproof. It's very practical and even for big shoping days it has planty of space :)), it's pretty good on fuel as well, I get 450km a tank (just before light goes on) and that's with my style of driving which is a bit more aggresive than normal, few times when I took it realy eazy I went over 500km before the light came on.
I got it insured by shannons for $900 full cover for a year on $27000 agreed value, which is pretty cheap :))