PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Lost Motion Assemby- On Japspec B16a head

GSi_PSi
03-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Hey, guys the LMA's on my head are making tap noises, just wondering if this affects performance at all. It happens durring idle , its not constant only sometimes. I thought it was the tappers at first but they are fine.

Btw my engine a rebuilt B20vtec . with Japspec B16a head

VTec1987
03-12-2009, 11:12 AM
if it come and goes away then your timming is off hence skipped a tooth, but if its always there then you need to adjust your tappets

GSi_PSi
03-12-2009, 11:41 AM
nope timing is fine. both mechanical and dizzy

bennjamin
03-12-2009, 04:12 PM
if its the LMAs it should be fairly constant. Speak to Chris about it he did build it lol.

Chr1s
06-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Doubt it would pull 120kw with timing out :).

It's an odd noise, there is a thread on honda-tech, quite a good read too actually about this issue.

They even rebuilt the whole motor, including LCA's and the noise is still there. Some morons were inclined to say that it's the pistons hitting the valves lol. So what happens in VTEC ?!!?...

It will gradually come on in idle, tappety tap tappety tap tap. That's how random it is, and it seems to only come from one particular spot in the head. We listened to the noise with a knockbox and it's definitely in the valve train. I shall do some checks when I put his cams in.

GSi_PSi
06-12-2009, 10:06 AM
hmm alrite sweet, i hope can get the problem outta the wen installin the cams

TODA AU
07-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Some morons were inclined to say that it's the pistons hitting the valves lol.

This moron would be check piston to head clearance.
Easy to check though, just have a look with a boroscope down the spark plug hole...
Easy to fix too :)

ewendc2r
07-12-2009, 11:06 AM
... Thicker head gasket you mean?

He's got a point though I think -- If the head has been shaved a couple of times, and the block has also been shaved... ?

GSi_PSi
07-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Block was from complete B20B8 doubt it was ever rebuilt in its life, headgasket is honda oem. The head was shaved once im certain as i pulled it off a complete JDM B16A.

fatboyz39
07-12-2009, 12:44 PM
Dizzy bearing?

bennjamin
07-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Dizzy bearing?

not a dumb suggestion. Sam , remember i rebuilt your dizzy with the internals and coil of your b18b dizzy. Its old , so there is a chance it is on its way out. (internal bearing on the CYP)

Chr1s
07-12-2009, 01:22 PM
His running my old B16 dizzy which never made noise ASFAIK.

The coil from his old one died in the anus.

Chr1s
07-12-2009, 01:23 PM
This moron would be check piston to head clearance.
Easy to check though, just have a look with a boroscope down the spark plug hole...
Easy to fix too :)

Thats what I thought he would say, but they we're rambling on about the valves lol

string
07-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Sure it's inside the head? If not, Injectors? Every B-series injector I've owned has ticked like a mofo.

TODA AU
07-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Block was from complete B20B8 doubt it was ever rebuilt in its life, headgasket is honda oem. The head was shaved once im certain as i pulled it off a complete JDM B16A.

No worries... With luck, I'm wrong...

I've seen some std B20 pistons have issues with clearance in some instances between the std B20 piston & the corners of the "eyebrow" just above the intake valve in the chamber. (on the squish pad area) (Pr3 head)
If there is an issue here, you can see this using a borescope - carbon touch just outboard of the intake valve cutouts to outer edge.
(Rather than pulling it appart for no reason, remember it's just an idea)

Jimmy's suggesting could also be on the money too...
Got a stethoscope?

GSi_PSi
07-12-2009, 10:59 PM
hmm thanks for the input im hoping nothing is hitting internally..will be running a few tests i hope its either the dizzy or the injectors

Limbo
08-12-2009, 04:35 PM
if its dizzy, its hard to find out, cos my stupid car had a faulty dizzy and after testing the coil, ignitor & sensor, which came up all fine, it was the cause of my problems.
certainly caused my hair to turn grey

Considering you got a fresh build i'd recommend a new dizzy

bennjamin
08-12-2009, 06:32 PM
if its dizzy, its hard to find out, cos my stupid car had a faulty dizzy and after testing the coil, ignitor & sensor, which came up all fine, it was the cause of my problems.
certainly caused my hair to turn grey

Considering you got a fresh build i'd recommend a new dizzy

Sam I'd consider a new dizzy. I'm getting a new replacement dizzy from us eBay for about $160.00 au all up. It's a good idea.

VTec1987
09-12-2009, 02:55 PM
damn, if you guys think its hitting the pistons , what happens in vtec?

Chr1s
09-12-2009, 05:24 PM
damn, if you guys think its hitting the pistons , what happens in vtec?

Piston hitting the head has nothing to do with VTEC. The only danger is rod stretch at extended RPM's.

spardikis
09-12-2009, 05:57 PM
there should be crap loads of room before the piston hits the head... remember if it is just hitting under idle, then with high rpm it would have exploded by now due to rod stretch... and your compression would be pretty unusually high :s

Lukezen27
11-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Broke my LMA on my turbo D

As you can see the big crack across it

http://www.scruffie.com/luke/car/lost_motion_assemby.jpg

No noise though, just loss of VTec

bennjamin
11-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Broke my LMA on my turbo D

As you can see the big crack across it

http://www.scruffie.com/luke/car/lost_motion_assemby.jpg

No noise though, just loss of VTec

rofl i remember opening your cam cover and going WTF did peter do.

Lukezen27
11-12-2009, 09:58 PM
rofl i remember opening your cam cover and going WTF did peter do.

lol yeah!!

Lucky they had a spare ones laying round...

So random

tinkerbell
30-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Sure it's inside the head? If not, Injectors?

:thumbsup: