PDA

View Full Version : Clutch opinions??

Manusdei
03-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi guys, I'm hopefully just about to buy a eg civic that needs a new clutch, and just trying to decide if I should put in a heavy duty clutch, or just a standard for now.. As far as I'm aware it's a stock D series with vtec (havnt actually looked at the car yet so will have to confrm details..) so is going for a heavy duty clutch worth it? And if so what brands should I look at??

Cheers.

Mikecivic78
04-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Since your d series engine desperately lacks power at low revs, u will probably want to get a heavy duty clutch, as u will want to slip it when u launch.

However, it depends on how long u want to keep the car. If u r gonna sell it in less than 2 years, a regular clutch will do it. If u wanna keep it for a ages and u like to drive hard, or track it, then go heavy duty.

But remember, a new clutch isnt cheap and its labour intensive. Maybe it'll be better on the wallet to get a car with a clutch and gearbox in good condition. Then all of that clutch cash can be spent on some much needed mods.

hope this helps.

Manusdei
04-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeah I know what you mean about buying one with a decent clutch, but I'm up in Darwin, and this is the only eg civic I've seen for sale at all for 9+ months locally. And all the good ones from down south are just out of my price range once I add in transport :(

but yeah as for tracking the car, I don't think that's going to happen, but I will drive it a little hard, and intend on keeping the car for a while. EG civics are sorta my ideal daily car that i've liked for years lol

Is it hard to change the clutch in an EG? I've previously changed the clutch in my old Sierra, with alot of help from some mates. But a civic being front wheel drive is a bit different.

Also if changing the clutch, what else should I do at the same time? Timing belt, sump gasket.. What else??

Mikecivic78
04-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Yea, with a FTW civic, you need to put a lot of work into it. A full days work, depending on what facilities you have. There are always little niggling problems that you have to overcome with a job like this. As always, once u do it once, u can do it a million times, its just that 1st time thats a bitch.

I guess while u are at it, do any other jobs that u are planning to do. Thats my work ethic: do everything in one fell swoop, saves you having to take apart everything again later.

I mean if the sump gasket is leaking, then this will definitely be the best time to do that as u need to remove the clutch cover/and part of the exhaust.

Timing belt, well thats another story. Do u know when/if it was done last? Is the timing belt noisy? is the water pump showing signs of wear? If the answer is yes, then do it.

Manusdei
04-12-2009, 10:26 PM
I havnt actually had a look at the car, but the clutch really needs to be changed from what the guys told me.. It slips if you put the foot down quickly. Yeah I think the same sorta thing, do it once, do it properly!

Would like to eventually do a b seriers swap though.. Hrm decisions decisions..

Mikecivic78
04-12-2009, 10:40 PM
if u wanna b series, then maybe u should be buying a civic vti-r or, better still, a vti-r Integra. It took me many months to find a nice clean vti-r and although the integra has more go, the civic coupe looks sexy as. Mine is in almost mint condition.

I do realise this might be hard to do in NT and might be out of ur budget. But if u want a good resale value, buy a performance honda which already has a b-series motor stock. I know a lot of cats here will disagree, but thats my honest opinion. Seriously, no one wants to buy an engine swapped car for a decent price. I owned a vti (d16y8) coupe for 2 years and sold it for only 500 less than i bought it and got my vti-r which i'll return to stock when i want to upgrade.

Manusdei
05-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Just had a look around the net for the vti-r, way out of my price range for now, most were going for 10.5k+ add transport on top, and looking at almost twice my current budget :( wish I could afford it though! Probly looking at around a 7k total budget ATM. Which if you take transport off, leaves about 5.5k.. Which is why I was leaning towards an EG. Plus I much prefer the looks of the EGs lol.

Latino CRX
05-12-2009, 12:38 AM
bascily every car i get i run Exedy clutchs they holed up :)

Hooman
05-12-2009, 02:26 AM
i just fitted a Extreme HD organic clutch on my CRX and it's a good clutch. My CRX has 70% more power than stock and it holds up great.
check extreme clutches out online.