PDA

View Full Version : Integra Gsi Tweeter Install

Javed
23-11-2003, 04:25 PM
Hi all,

I'm new here and find these forums awesome! I own a Late 93 Gsi Integra, and am in love with Honda's. I just have a small problem...

I have been looking around for a spot to place my tweeters. Now I'm not really keen in hacking anything up too much in case I wan't to sell my car later on. I have boston acoustics FS50 components (5.25" midrange, 3/4" tweeter) and its a real pain finding a spot. I know everybody suggests that the kicks are the best place to put them, but I would only consider this an option if a new set could be made without touching the originals. And I know I wouldn't be able to make a set myself, so does anybody know somebody on the gold coast or in brisbane that can do a nice job? Otherwise Finding another spot would be adequate.

I posted this on car audio australia forums also, but seeing though you guys would know what my car is like, you're help would be much appreciated!

Cheers guys
Javed

tegboy
23-11-2003, 06:14 PM
The little mirror triangles, above your doors. You can double side tape them there, with NO cutting.

Here is how I did mine. Will give you some ideas...

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/243000-243999/243875_21_full.jpg

You can just make them out, dodgy pic, sorry!

Good luck, anymore questions, ask away!

fried
23-11-2003, 07:52 PM
eh? i swear the inside of my teg doesnt look like that lol

wynode
23-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Maybe cause its adifferent teg Eric :)

I would suggest mounting them around there at ear height for sure. I mounted mine a 'little' bit lower and am regretting it.

XXpl0Sive
23-11-2003, 08:39 PM
http://sumosbox.ath.cx/~benc/bin/02%20-%20Interior.jpg

You should flush mount them into the doors like Win's because they look a lot better, but I've put mine in the plastic things on the corner of the door so they can be removed with minimal damage to the car (if you are thinking of taking them to your next car).

Hope it helps!

Javed
23-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the pointers guys! I have tested with the tweeter mounts (plastic bracket thingies) and on the little plastic mirror cover triangle thing, the mounts will sit, but are a tad big wand will hang out a bit. IT doesn't look too bad, and I will screw them in place if there is no other solution. At least that way all I need to do is get replacement covers when I sell the car, or somehow cover the small drill holes. What I am now concerned about is the angle of the tweeters. On those covers they dont seem to be a good angle, as optimum is facing the opposite sides headrest (for sound stage purposes). How do the tweets sound in your cars? And did you screw a tweeter mount into the cover, or just stick the tweeter itself on it without the mounts?

Once again thanks alot guys!! :)

euro77
24-11-2003, 07:27 AM
doesn't your tweeter mount come with an angled ones? I'm pretty sure Boston FS series come with angled mounting bracket.

Also, might want to try on the dash, and hear how it sounds as the sound imaging will be different

wynode
24-11-2003, 11:41 AM
My FS60s came with angled flush mounts so your FS50's should also.

Mounting the tweeters on the dash gave an awesome soundstage I must admit. However the only thing was the sound wasn't quite direct and some of the highs were a bit subdued. If you could strike a balance between mounting on the dash (pointing straight up) and pointing slightly towards you that would be perfect.

Redteg
24-11-2003, 12:25 PM
I put my tweeters down with the mids, 1) cause they're a leftover from another install and thus temporary, and 2) cause i didn't want to permanently modify anything in the car, as its immaculate, as anyone who has seen it can testify.

With treble being highly directional, you get the impression of a low stage but it isn't as bad as I thought. They are pretty much on axis and very little obstruction occurs because of the long doors. They could be better, but they are in the end of the day a compromise.

This is an old install pic, since then the tweeter bracket has been covered with heatshrink, as have the wires, as well as being neatened. The plastic grille behind the speaker cloth has been opened up so that the tweeter can be heard a bit better.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~akarayiannis/splits_uncovered.JPG

If I get around to getting better fronts (can't justtify it yet), I'll try the sail area, facing them across, and the dash facing up to dissipate the sound somewhat, but im thinking the sound will 'separate' too much for my liking. I'll only mount them in the doors if I can find 2 perfect door skins to have as spares.

luzinit
24-11-2003, 12:34 PM
What I am now concerned about is the angle of the tweeters. On those covers they dont seem to be a good angle, as optimum is facing the opposite sides headrest (for sound stage purposes).

i'm having the same problem with my boston FS60's!

they only come with 2 mounts, one is angled flush mount (but i dont want to put a hole in my door) and the other one is non angled, and sits like Xxplosive's ones, ie perpendicular to the triangle mirror things!

does anyone know how we can put it angled, ie, do they sell aftermarket mounting thingies that come on an angle??

also you mite also be able to mount it in the corner of ur front dash, where the windscreen meets the B pillars, and hold it with blue tac or double sided tape, im considering moving my tweeters from the triangle mirror things to this location.

wynode
24-11-2003, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure about the EK, but the EG has these airvents (that direct air to the windows) on the dash. I removed the little plastic plug/vent and mounted my tweeters in there facing upwards.

euro77
24-11-2003, 01:28 PM
just make an angle mount out of mdf, and stick it to the sail using 3m adhesives :)

Javed
24-11-2003, 01:34 PM
also you mite also be able to mount it in the corner of ur front dash, where the windscreen meets the B pillars, and hold it with blue tac or double sided tape, im considering moving my tweeters from the triangle mirror things to this location.

I don't think that would be very good. Mounting with double sided tape or blu tac just seems unprofessional to me for some reason. As for the mounts you are dead on, non angled surface mounts and angled flush mounts come with them. I am considering making a little bit of an mdf triangle type thing (very very small) that will change the angle and screw through the surface mount into this mdf and finally into the triangle (sail is what you guys are calling it?) thing.

Wynode I don't quite get what you mean, I do have a vent on the dash for the windows, but wouldnt the tweeters facing straight up sound like absolute crap in that situation?

Cheers once again guys,

Mz Integrra
25-11-2003, 04:26 PM
I have to agree with tegboy, the triangle part is where I have had my tweeters installed too. Havent had any problems with them being there. Look good but sound even better :D

MaGR
03-12-2003, 09:25 AM
http://home.iprimus.com.au/mrayner/integra/tweeter.jpg

Thats where mine are installed, you can't say they don't look sexy :D

You are supposed to have them close to the woofer but mine sound great where they are, so I'm happy. If you aren't sure, wire them up and just hold them infront of where you are thinking of putting them.

Javed
05-12-2003, 10:33 PM
MaGR did you do that install yourself? That's a nice spot, and I have even heard and read that on integras thats a factory tweeter location (on some of them) and even on the trim that dont have theh oles there is a hole cut out at the back of the trim. That would be the best spot, but it also means hacking up the door trim :(

Cheers,
Javed

MaGR
09-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Yep, install done myself, easier than you might think...
And your right, there is a clear spot marked on the inside, from the factory. It's not cut, it's just marked..
I just used a hole saw attachment on the drill to go though the plastic from the back, then stopped when I got to the trim, and used a stanley knife to do the rest.. worked out really well..
I was so paranoid I was going to bugger it up, as you probably are...

The below site helped me ALLOT when I did my install. Probably been linked to a million times on here but I'm new :)

http://www.integracaraudio.com/caraudio/diagrams/