PDA

View Full Version : the little CRX that could.

EDracer
04-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi all,

Just thought i would share with everyone my little CRX.
a brief background on my little CRX that could (or couldn't as it stands as of this moment). i got it about 2 months ago from a mate on here and took it home. very shortly after (about 3 weeks) through no fault of his or mine the oil pump decided to die on me. so for the last month i have been trying to decide what to do with it. sell, keep and upgrade to bigger motor, replace the motor with another one the same (D16A8), or to rebuild the original. i finally decided last week to get another one and put it in and then rebuild the original for turboing :D

here is a pick of it when i got the Sportmax 501's for it the very next day after getting it home.

Will update with pics of the motor i got for it today.

Latino CRX
04-12-2009, 11:26 AM
very nice man u got the face lift model too :) ..

are u member on crx australia ??

www.crxaustralia.com

EDracer
04-12-2009, 11:30 AM
very nice man u got the face lift model too :) ..

are u member on crx australia ??

www.crxaustralia.com

yeah i am, PandaCRX is my username.

i actually think the bumpers are the jap SIR version, because i was hanging with a mate the other day who has the AUS SiR and my front is different to his. and i got the Jap taillights too. :thumbsup:

EDracer
04-12-2009, 11:32 AM
ok here is the motor i got on sat last week all preped to go into the car tomorrow :D

YAY back on the road!

(the valve cover is actually red, not pink, it just looks like it in the pics.)

SlobberGoat
04-12-2009, 11:34 AM
props for sticking with the ZC.

Latino CRX
04-12-2009, 11:39 AM
i think the rear mite be SiR ..

with the front i not sure cause i cant see the SiR indicator lights .. they are longer and sort of wrap around the bar a little ..

have u still got the little hump in ur bonnet ???
to run a SiR front bar u will need to change the headlights and bonnet aswell ....

if u can get a pic up of da front end be able to tell u straight up :)

EDracer
04-12-2009, 11:41 AM
nah i have the straight lights on the front, not the wrap around ones. so i must have the SiR one. Still looks hot! and will look hotter once i get the DA9 front lip to add to it. Super Sexy here we come! lol

siR_Pjamaz
04-12-2009, 11:42 AM
puta b16a in it

then buy the turbo kit for it ehe

SHOGUNOVDDRK
04-12-2009, 11:53 AM
You sir are a true legend for sticking to the ZC, great stuff.

EDracer
04-12-2009, 01:35 PM
You sir are a true legend for sticking to the ZC, great stuff.

Thanks.:D

pinoy-boi
04-12-2009, 03:47 PM
nice ride. i live in regents park to lol, so myt see u around lol

Latino CRX
04-12-2009, 04:20 PM
hey man did u buy this crx off a guy name Pauly ??? out Mt Cotton way ?

Spoon-Accord
04-12-2009, 07:23 PM
zc all the way,

Red_EG4
04-12-2009, 10:50 PM
get a bit of the black on your oil filter? :P
Nice work, the sportmaxx look good :thumbsup:

mr180sx
05-12-2009, 09:38 AM
yep, looks like Pauls old car

Looking clean man!:thumbsup:

EDracer
06-12-2009, 09:15 AM

yeah i did, ive known him for a while. ever since our mate Justin build the K20 Ej8, paul did the mech work for him such a good job.

pat88c
06-12-2009, 10:30 AM
all crx with facelift update after early 1990 had the style rear tail lights stock on adm models

nice work on your crx , looks mint , saw it for sale few months back and look like good one

And 10 points staying with the D16a8 (ZC) engine :)

EDracer
06-12-2009, 10:45 AM
well starting day 2 of the motor swap out of the broken D motor to the newer cleaned up motor. 1st day was full of little annoyances. need to get a ring gear spanner today to get the excede clutch and fly wheel of to complete the gearbox swap. plus have found that every mount and bolt on the new motor is different from the old. so moving everything is a pain, and i broke a drive shaft knuckle too. but lucky i got a spare. but i did manage to score a CRX HKS model exhaust for it, so it should sound a little tougher too. im hoping that we will have most of it completed today and might have it ready for driving, but i might be being opemistic.
will let you all knwo how it goes. and will get some pics today of the swap.

~Sp33~
07-12-2009, 12:39 AM
Hmm, that's an OBD1 intake manifold on that new engine, Is the motor out of an EG SI (Probably why the mounts are different)? You'll need an OBD1 distributor if that's the case, your original dizzy wont have the exhaust cam sensor needed.

Goodluck on the swap mate! Sounds very similar to what i've got planned (building for turbo :) )

EDracer
08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Hmm, that's an OBD1 intake manifold on that new engine, Is the motor out of an EG SI (Probably why the mounts are different)? You'll need an OBD1 distributor if that's the case, your original dizzy wont have the exhaust cam sensor needed.

Goodluck on the swap mate! Sounds very similar to what i've got planned (building for turbo :) )

your right the motor is OBD1 not 0BD0 but i am only using the Block and intake manafold, all other sensers i can move from the first motor, like the exhaust cam sensor. its coming along well, almost there now, just need to attach the mounts to the motor (have already changed the block mounts), put it into the engine bay and plug back in. should be up and running sat night :thumbsup:

Latino CRX
08-12-2009, 12:44 PM
nice man when its all done gotta come cruise out with some of us one time..

~Sp33~
08-12-2009, 12:59 PM
your right the motor is OBD1 not 0BD0 but i am only using the Block and intake manafold, all other sensers i can move from the first motor, like the exhaust cam sensor. its coming along well, almost there now, just need to attach the mounts to the motor (have already changed the block mounts), put it into the engine bay and plug back in. should be up and running sat night :thumbsup:

Awesome, good luck :thumbsup:

EDracer
08-12-2009, 04:08 PM
nice man when its all done gotta come cruise out with some of us one time..

Most definatly will. almost done so anything this sat night or sunday i could do.

Awesome, good luck :thumbsup:

thanks man, hows your 4WD going? and any luck with the Crezida?

~Sp33~
08-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Just finished fixing a few leaking coolant hoses after i did the head gasket (on the Cressida), she's runnin smooth now. Still as ugly as sin though! lol

The Civ just got a service too, so he's happy :)

DEMON83
08-12-2009, 05:44 PM
should be up and running sat night :thumbsup:

I hope so... lol its hard work supervising in the hot sun!

EDracer
09-12-2009, 02:13 PM
hot sun?? you sat in the air con most of the time in the house and came out to see what we were up too every now and then

DEMON83
09-12-2009, 05:44 PM
playing PS3 in A/C is hard work dam it... lol cant wait til car is running!

miinkle
12-12-2009, 01:01 PM
nice crx man. another one to the crxaus family!
props for sticking with the zc!
cant wait to see this car at nationals if your attending!

EDracer
14-12-2009, 12:52 PM
nice crx man. another one to the crxaus family!
props for sticking with the zc!
cant wait to see this car at nationals if your attending!

^^thanks man

and a quick update, motor is in and all plugged and hosed. one problem left. wont fire. have checked the leads, fuel, and compression, all ok, but i think the plugs are out. and i have a question for everyone. cam gear timing. the little "up" symbols on the gears themselves, they have to be in the exact same pos to be correctly timed? the belt has not moved from when i got it, but there is a differnece of about 1~2 teeth on the intake camgear retarded, should this be straight up and parralel with the exhaust gear?

~Sp33~
14-12-2009, 04:31 PM
^^thanks man

and a quick update, motor is in and all plugged and hosed. one problem left. wont fire. have checked the leads, fuel, and compression, all ok, but i think the plugs are out. and i have a question for everyone. cam gear timing. the little "up" symbols on the gears themselves, they have to be in the exact same pos to be correctly timed? the belt has not moved from when i got it, but there is a differnece of about 1~2 teeth on the intake camgear retarded, should this be straight up and parralel with the exhaust gear?

No, they point slightly inwards toward each other. Make sure your ignition timing is good, and that you're getting spark. If you remove one of the plugs with the spark plug still attached, ground the thread on something metal and get someone to crank the car, see if you get any spark jumping between the plugs.

If you're getting spark and it wont start, your timing is off. Did you line the distributor up before putting it in?

~Sp33~
15-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Got this thing started yet?

EDracer
16-12-2009, 08:11 AM
Got this thing started yet?

no :( i have been busy and the car is on the other side of town from me so it is hard to get there. but i think i am going over some time this week to try and sort it.
yeah i have all the needed componants fuel, compression and spark. it just wont fire. i have lined up the dizzy but i think i need to do it again.
and my cam gears are a little pointed in, so i guess it might just be the dizzy not lined up :( im going to be dirty if that is all it is.

EDracer
04-01-2010, 03:00 PM
i know its been a while but christmas and all that.....
anyway, it was not the dizzy, everything is plugged in, engine has compression/fuel/and spark and still no fun. im really not happy and about ready to EXPLODE!! the car. anyonne got any ideas/whilling to help out now, im all out and frustrated and would apreciate any help that anyone would offer.

~Sp33~
04-01-2010, 03:01 PM
If the car has compression, fuel and spark, then your timing is out.

Are you 100% sure you're getting spark and fuel? Are your plugs wet after cranking?

Does it crank fine? Any codes on the ECU?

EDracer
04-01-2010, 03:07 PM
now that i havent checked. but they are the injectors and fuel rail from the other engine, i would assume that they are ok, as they were working fine in the old engine untill the pump shat itself. i pulled the fuel return line off and fuel went everywhere, so the rail has fuel. and the fuel pump is working. mind you the cam gears appear to be turning awefully slow when cracking i was watching them, maybe the battery is 1/2 dead. and not enough juice to turn over properly? im not sure :(

~Sp33~
04-01-2010, 03:10 PM
You should be able to hear if it's cranking really slow. Do you have jumper cables to hook up to rule this out?

Also make sure your crank pulley is lined up properly with the cam gears. Line up your crank to to the markings on the lower timing cover, then check your cam gears are pointing up. The cam timing has to be out a lot for it not to start though.

EDracer
04-01-2010, 03:20 PM
ill have to check that, but it should all be ok.. but thanks i will look at that next.

~Sp33~
04-01-2010, 03:24 PM
:thumbsup:

Once you've 100% ruled out timing, then it's easier to figure out the prob :)

And that way you don't risk ruining the engine. The car's not at Leighton's place still is it? If it is i can come have a look if you like, he's only 5 mins away.

EDracer
04-01-2010, 03:56 PM
nah its at straithpine ATM. did the motor swap there cause my mate had all the hardware to do it. wish it was at leightons then i could check on the way home from work :( will have to wait till i get a chance sat morning. or i could get it towed home and keep working on it there.......hmmmm

~Sp33~
04-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Damn that's annoying.

EDracer
04-01-2010, 04:34 PM
tell me about it. it really sucks.

~Sp33~
04-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Hmm, well good luck on Saturday. LMK how you go :)

Snoop_gee
16-02-2010, 10:17 AM
how you go :)

ye exactly wats the latest thats happening?

EDracer
22-02-2010, 09:28 AM
well currently i have found what could be a problem. there is a sensor on the back of the D16A8 that i hadnt noticed was broken. it is right below the intake maifold and i have no idea what it is. i think it might be a Temp sensor, but this will not explain the engine not starting. i think i have given up on this motor myself, and am prepared to pay somone now to look at it. im thinking 999 but not sure, any recomendations for a mech?

another thought i had was maybe the battery i was useing (out of a new toyota yarris, because the one i had new for it, died before i could use it) did not have enough juice to kick over the 20yo motor. need a hand now, as im out of ideas.

~Sp33~
22-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Is it still way over north side? If it's in around the south side i could come have a look for you.

EDracer
22-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Is it still way over north side? If it's in around the south side i could come have a look for you.

yeah it is still north, i am thinking of moving it via a car trailer, but i need a car with a tow bar

grifty
22-02-2010, 12:40 PM
yeah it is still north, i am thinking of moving it via a car trailer, but i need a car with a tow bar

hire a ute from a petrol station?

markismaximus
24-02-2010, 07:34 PM
well currently i have found what could be a problem. there is a sensor on the back of the D16A8 that i hadnt noticed was broken. it is right below the intake maifold and i have no idea what it is. i think it might be a Temp sensor.

does it look like this, or in the same location? If so its the oil pressure switch

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd121/mx83cressida/Week5-053.jpg

so have you managed to crank it over yet or still nothing?

EDracer
25-02-2010, 09:38 AM
If the above pic is showing a 2 prong plug that goes to the main harness, then yes that is it. i need a new one from honda, as it split across the thread when i was trying to take it off the motor. have you got a part number so i can order it today? that would be awesome.

and as yet no firing. it will crank over, but now i need a new battery as mine is dead from trying :( oh well. going to try to get it towed closer to me this weekend so i can work on it more.

markismaximus
25-02-2010, 10:44 AM
hmmm, oil pressure switch is only got a single contact point. can you take a pic of the sensor on your motor?

~Sp33~
25-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Just jump the battery in the CRX and let the other car run for a bit while it feeds power to your dead battery.

EDracer
25-02-2010, 11:25 AM
it looks like that one (i have that as well) but it has two prongs for a plug on it, and sits directly next to it about 2" to the right. the new motor didnt have it, it was blocked up with a plug nut. so i tried to take it off the old motor, and snap it came in half. little dissapointing, but figured it would if it was still connected.

where abouts are you located? would love someone to have a look at it?

~Sp33~
25-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Fairly sure that the two prong switch above the oil filter is a coolant temperature switch, and the sensor under the distributor is the coolant temp sensor (used for the temp gauge in the cluster)

EDracer
25-02-2010, 11:51 AM
that would make sense. i figured it was a temp sensor of a sorts, but not sure which one.

might need to go to the wreckers this weekend and pinch one ;) see if it works.

that would stop the car from starting wouldn't it? if the ECU was not getting information from a sensor it would not start. I think there is a light at the end of this tunnel!

and i have a second D16a8 sitting there too that i can start to build when i get the CRX runnign with the one in it!

~Sp33~
25-02-2010, 11:58 AM
Honestly, and i don't mean to be a debby downer, but i really don't think it's going to prevent the car from starting. It would probably throw a code and your cooling fan wont turn on, but like i said earlier the only things you need for an engine to start:

Timing, compression, spark and fuel.

EDracer
25-02-2010, 12:15 PM
and im sure i have all of these. and it still wont. but having said that i think the battery i was using is a little too small. so im going to get a bigger one this weekend andtry again

~Sp33~
25-02-2010, 12:31 PM
I was just looking at a wiring diagram and the circuit goes something like this:

ground-----blk wire---coolant temp switch---ylw/green wire---rad fan motor---15Amp fuse---

It doesn't look like it's in circuit with the ECU.

markismaximus
25-02-2010, 12:35 PM
where abouts are you located? would love someone to have a look at it?

I am in Annerley, where is the car?

EDracer
25-02-2010, 01:26 PM
at the moment it is at straithpine, but i will be moving it this weekend, maybe to leightons place or mine.

markismaximus
25-02-2010, 02:06 PM
at the moment it is at straithpine, but i will be moving it this weekend, maybe to leightons place or mine.

I know where leightons is. where is yours?

EDracer
25-02-2010, 02:19 PM
logan, about 20 mins from him down the highway. im thinking my mates place now near me, he has a garage i can use....

EDracer
02-03-2010, 01:59 PM
ok good and bad news on this motor. i found out what the broken switch is. turns out it is the thermo fan switch and will cost $134 from honda. looks like steve was right about it not being in line with the ECU. The bad news is that this will not stop the motor firing. but i have a mechanic friend coming sunday to have a look at it, so thats the good news. also trying a new battery on sunday, so fingers crossed it will be working this weekend.

im going to rewire the thermo fan to be a missle switch on the dash with a temp guage so i can do it manually.

~Sp33~
02-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Why bother getting one new? There's plenty of people with D16a8 parts around.

Goodluck for the weekend.

markismaximus
02-03-2010, 06:24 PM
why are you buying a Honda one? that's crazy for a sensor. a champion one can be had for far less than that....

http://www.eziautoparts.com.au/index.php?target=products&mode=search&subcats=Y&type=extended&avail=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&match=all&cid=0&q=CFS54&x=0&y=0

or

http://www.eziautoparts.com.au/index.php?target=products&mode=search&subcats=Y&type=extended&avail=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&match=all&cid=0&q=CFS12&x=0&y=0

depending on what yours looks like. still shitloads cheaper than a Honda one

markismaximus
22-03-2010, 05:02 PM
you got this thing figured out yet?

EDracer
25-03-2010, 10:42 AM
ok got the sensor from autobarn, turns out after talking to honda that it was just the thermo fan switch. (not important for engine start)

am taking it to 999 tomorrow to get looked at. i cannot think anymore about it. i think i have actually gone a hairs width close to insanity with this motor. but 999 should be able to get it working right? they can cant they? PLEASE TELL ME THEY CAN!!!!

lol kidding, i have just had enough with it, am looking at getting another one now too, so maybe the second will work good, and 99 can fix this one, then i can have two! awesome

EDracer
30-03-2010, 10:39 AM
ok so i got the car to 999 and adam had a look at it for me. turns out that the engine was never working from the begining it has a combination of low compression and leak-down in cylender one, resaulting in a total volume of 25% of what it should be and a copression of 25psi, where is should be at 112 at least. so very very dissapointed at Boss, they assured me that they had tested the motor and it was working. my lesson this week is to never trust anything, if they say it works. PROVE IT!! i think we can all learn from this, if you already know this im sorry for being dumb, but if you didn't dont make my mistake. so now i have adam looking for another D16 for me, which is beging to get hard even for him. anyone have a "working" D16 they want to part with, as now i have 2 broken ones. and i really want this car working. if not i may have to get a new car, or motorbike. im thinking the motorbike as i have almost had enough of cars and their problems. but if somone has a decent car for sale for $4000 or less im keen to look. lol

~Sp33~
30-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Take it back to boss with the results from the compression test.

What's causing the low compression? Might be worth doing the compression and oil rings on the pistons instead of buying another engine.

markismaximus
30-03-2010, 10:47 AM
agreed, take it back and say its stuffed. Although you may be outside of your 90 day warranty in which case they'll probably say you damaged the motor

EDracer
30-03-2010, 11:54 AM
yeah i know, but im going to try as the motor has not been opened, and that can be proven, so it had to have been like that before i got it. but i understand that they are complete ^&^*$ there so i wont get my hopes up. but on the plus side, i know have 2xD16a8's that i can build one awesome killer motor with. plus i found a CRX for sale for $3500 near me that i am going to look at tonight so i can use all the $4000 worth of goodies i got the the now broken one. might sell the one i have, might use it as a killer D16 racer CRX later when i build it. we will see. but i i should be back on the road this weekend!! even if im in a burgandy CRX and not a silver one. lol

EDracer
30-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Take it back to boss with the results from the compression test.

What's causing the low compression? Might be worth doing the compression and oil rings on the pistons instead of buying another engine.

nah adam told me it would be cheaper to get a new one lol

DEMON83
30-03-2010, 04:18 PM
pics of possible new CRX?

pat88c
30-03-2010, 06:03 PM
that bad luck you got with your motors

i say it would be cheaper to rebuild one of d16a8 and spend 1-2k than to to get another crx

~Sp33~
30-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Good luck then, whatever your decision :)

seancrxxx
05-04-2010, 11:01 AM
How much was the motor?
Why does it look so new?

seancrxxx
05-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Where did you buy it from?
sean

~Sp33~
05-04-2010, 08:07 PM
How much was the motor?
Why does it look so new?