PDA

View Full Version : to sell or not to sell?

cat121
25-11-2004, 07:17 PM
hey guys,

i really want heaps of opinions on wat i should do here...i bought my 98 civic hatchback about 4months ago...being a girl they took me for the dumby i was and sold it to me for what i thought was a neat 12k. now i find out that the transmission is going to need a full overhaul in the next year or so...seems like th first owner treated it like crap...poor baby..

anyways, im trying to decide whether to sell to another stupid 1st car buyer or just pay to get it fixed which i have been told will cost me 3k..being a jap car and all. however, i havnt looked for more quotes as of yet and cant tell if the transmission dude is trying to rip me off.

however, after we got some transmission fluid into her from our trusty honda people, my car drives like new....except in reverse when its really really jerky.

if its going to cost me 3k to fix, do you think its worth the hassel selling and buying a new one (id just get another 98 civic), or should i just bite my lip and pay for the new transmission????

what would you guys do??

mytoycivic
25-11-2004, 07:57 PM
well talk to charlie at good performance is my bet...may not be as bad as you think.

otherwise just drive the car nice and the gearbox should be fine...just dont throw the gears in and you shouldnt have too many problems :thumbsup:

karbonphyber
25-11-2004, 08:07 PM
man, sorry to hear about this.
must've been some really shitty previous owners.
well, 3k? i reckon it's not that much.
it's just a new gearbox right? find some mates who do cars and give them a gearbox.
drive it nice and smooth for now. do you hear grinding when you're using your engine braking? damn, i forgot about that term... lol

bubblecivic
25-11-2004, 08:18 PM
downshift? lol

yeah a rebuild can't cost that much no way near! that's like a price for an engine overhaul, gearbox should be roughly $1500.

SiR JDM
25-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Firstly, who told you the gearbox was messed? and who said it would be 3000 to fix?
Integra type R gearbox's are around the 2000 mark (ive seen even less), thats top of the range b series gearbox inclusive of LSD ect, so i dont think a b16, let alone d15 (if your car is a gli/cxi) would cost 3k! if it does, totally not worth it.

1 - Your from melb, so dont take it to hannys, youll just add a few thousand kms to get there :P its in sydney
2 - is it an auto or manual?
3 - which model is it? CXi, Gli, Vti-r?

I just got my whole gearbox reworked and it cost under 1k, parts and labour inclusive.. i got it polished, reshimed, new bearings, seals.. so 3k is out of the question...

PM me if your interested im sure i can help you further with your problem =]

Muckafutha
25-11-2004, 09:37 PM
I think if the problem is not too bad then its easier to fix it. Buying another car may bring on another set of problems...plus more costs like stamp duty.

mytoycivic
25-11-2004, 10:34 PM
Your from melb, so dont take it to hannys, youll just add a few thousand kms to get there :P its in sydney

my bad sorry :)

karbonphyber
25-11-2004, 10:58 PM
i paid $895 for my EG gearbox

karbonphyber
25-11-2004, 10:59 PM
3k is insane cat. don't do it. lol

Weq
26-11-2004, 01:06 AM
ive got a d16 gearbox. i'll ship it to u for 400 +ship. install should be the same as a clutch install.

imashy14u
26-11-2004, 08:17 AM
yeah, gearboxes are pretty cheap from the wreckers.

We bought a CRV gb for around $300 from the wreckers with 3 months warranty. That's a 4WD gb, can't imagine how cheap a normal D series would be. $3000 is quite steep. Say recon gb is around $600, that means he's charging you $2400 for labour! Maybe because you're a girl. i suggest shop around.

SiR JDM
26-11-2004, 08:34 AM
If it is an auto CXI/GLi, once again PM me I can prob get you a gearbox for a decent price... lemme know

bubblecivic
26-11-2004, 09:04 AM
a gearbox overhaul would make it brand new !!

getting a second hand one and you'll be risking another stuff up and you'll be in the same position in the future! so choose carefully aye

Mr. Focus
26-11-2004, 09:27 AM
3k for a gearbox overhaul. kcuf that! you're gettin ripped!!!!

cat121
26-11-2004, 10:15 AM
hahaha thanks guys! thats all i wanted to hear. i will definately get some more quotes off some transmission people and see wat im really up for. thanks 4 all the offers of help..i will let u guys know if i need anythin when i find out wats really wrong with my baby ;)

ciao peoples :)

cat121
26-11-2004, 10:29 AM
drive it nice and smooth for now. do you hear grinding when you're using your engine braking? damn, i forgot about that term... lol[/QUOTE]
umm i dont know what engine braking is but i neva hear grinding when i drive. by the way its an auto..and im a chick..i always drive carefully :P lol

mytoycivic
26-11-2004, 01:41 PM
with an auto you probably dont use any other 'gates' except drive, so engine braking will not apply to you...in this case, seeing as it is an auto, just dont let the car rev too high, because that will cause stress on the engine and gearbox that is not needed.!!! just enjoy driving your honda and treat it nice and she will last forever ;)

mytoycivic
26-11-2004, 01:43 PM
well, maybe not forever lol!