PDA

View Full Version : Tools... what to buy and where...??

Bob-Car
04-12-2009, 10:51 PM
So I've started doing a few more DIY's now that I've got more time on my hands. Right now I'm in the middle of changing my shocks and springs. The job wuold have been completed today if only the tools I usually borrow were available. But they weren't.

So I made my trek to Bunnings and bought myself a "Sidchrome" 37 piece socket set as this is what the old guy at Bunnning recommended. It cost $147 and can be returned if need be. When got home I realised I should have done my research before buying (hence this thread).

So I'm asking for advice on tools... in particular a socket set for around $200 (Snap-on is just out of my price range).

na-118
04-12-2009, 10:54 PM
go to vek tools in smithfield buy kc tools

euro_tr4sh
04-12-2009, 11:01 PM
or bluepoint... its snap-on just a cheaper range, everything of mine that isnt snap-on is bluepoint, mostly cos they make some things snap-on doesnt

anyways a snap on ratchet alone cost $200 + my impact socket set for my rattle gun (10mm-24mm) was $340, so id say its way outta your price range, that and unless your using your tools every day of the week i dont see a point in buying snap-on, sidchrome is great quality stuff and doesnt cost an arm and a leg

vinnY
04-12-2009, 11:02 PM
breaker bar + 14mm socket and ring spanner + 17mm socket and ring spanner
get an allen key set while you're at it :p

no use spending $200 bucks on a set when you use 1/4 of the gear on it

90LAN
04-12-2009, 11:08 PM
if you are on a tight budget

just go to markets make a list of tools you need

garage sales are good to buy tools from too

you dont need brand names as long as they work

Bob-Car
04-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Where's vek tools...??? is KC the brand...??

Bob-Car
04-12-2009, 11:11 PM
if you are on a tight budget

just go to markets make a list of tools you need

garage sales are good to buy tools from too

you dont need brand names as long as they work

True... but I'm anal... like to have everything in order... don't want to mix and match tools. So a complete set would be a nice investment.

vinnY
04-12-2009, 11:13 PM
a quick google (http://www.google.com.au) would have shot you over to the vek tools (http://www.vektools.com.au/aboutus.php) website

Chriskoss
05-12-2009, 10:40 AM
True... but I'm anal... like to have everything in order... don't want to mix and match tools. So a complete set would be a nice investment.

Right now supercheap auto has a 39 peice socket set, some brand I cant remmeber, for 99 dollars, 50% off, so used to be 200. AMAZING quality, I picked a set up to do my brakes as I snapped my old ratchets trying to get the caliper bolts off... Ill upload a pic for you, its in the latest supercheap catalogue, $99.. depends where you live I guess and your local store. I cant reccommend it enough, comes with 1 foot breaker bar, swivel socket adapter, sturdy as ratchet, good quality sockets, 2 extension bars, its really good.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12707&d=1259900685

hisoka
05-12-2009, 10:51 AM

then you might aswell spend good money. you cant be a tight arse and get the good stuff.

go down to super cheap or repco possibly autobarn ? lol, they have some nice kits for 100~150

i had good tools before i had a good car.

another note, get some metric gear spanners, they come in handy. some can add sockets onto them aswell lol

na-118
05-12-2009, 10:54 AM
why would you buy blue point for your only working on light vechiles, when you can buy something like kc tools fraction of the price and you can use on heavy vehicles and that as well

EGB18CT
05-12-2009, 11:34 AM
tradetoolsdirect fantastic shop, cannot recommend more and great prices www.tradetoolsdirect.com -its an online store but also stores throughourt nsw, tas, qld, nt.

or

justtools.com.au in melb

just compare prices to bunnings for things like power drills etc before buying.

bang for buck stick to sidchrome and kincrome

EGB18CT
05-12-2009, 11:36 AM
might add:

repco is also clearing their tool range at 50% off prices in some stores, much of this is getting sold out so worth a look, great no questions asked warranty too.

supercheap socket sets are good too (only the top of the range stuff)

euromandeluxe
05-12-2009, 07:09 PM
this isn't exactly 100% relevant to this thread, but its related..

does anyone know where i can get a die so that i can extend the threading on my gearstick?
tried bunnings but they dont have the right sizes.
where the fk else do you go for tools?

i want my gear knob to sit a little lower and straighter - atm when i wind it up tight the knob turns a quarter turn too far so the shift pattern appears crooked. hence i need the die for the gearstick shaft.
thanks

Bob-Car
05-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Took your advice and went to VEK tools and bought myself a 41 piece KC PRO AM 1/2" drive socket set.

see... http://www.vektools.com.au/41pc-drive-socket-p-551.html

Also in my haste, I bought the wrong size 3/8" drive deep sockets which I will be returning on Monday.

Bob-Car
05-12-2009, 11:08 PM
this isn't exactly 100% relevant to this thread, but its related..

does anyone know where i can get a die so that i can extend the threading on my gearstick?
tried bunnings but they dont have the right sizes.
where the fk else do you go for tools?

i want my gear knob to sit a little lower and straighter - atm when i wind it up tight the knob turns a quarter turn too far so the shift pattern appears crooked. hence i need the die for the gearstick shaft.
thanks

Don't know what you mean by die... but why do you want you gear knob to sit lower.. the higher the better. Getting your shift pattern to sit right is an easy job. All you need is a 10mm nut (if you've got an EG civic). Nut goes on the gear stick first and then the gear knob on next. Then twist... you can figure out the rest. Although this will get your knob sitting a little higher... the higher the better I say.

ASSaZiN
05-12-2009, 11:55 PM
id say if you cant afford Snap On
Sidchrome or Kingchrome are the way to go

euromandeluxe
06-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Don't know what you mean by die... but why do you want you gear knob to sit lower.. the higher the better. Getting your shift pattern to sit right is an easy job. All you need is a 10mm nut (if you've got an EG civic). Nut goes on the gear stick first and then the gear knob on next. Then twist... you can figure out the rest. Although this will get your knob sitting a little higher... the higher the better I say.

the car is a CL9 euro.

i did that mod to the gearstick where you can raise up the shift boot so that it meets the knob, without any of the gearstick showing in-between. the problems are that the knob gets raised slightly (by the height of the nut being flipped upside down) and the boot gets pulled taut because of how high it was raised.

Basically i can't screw down the knob as low as it used to screw down before i did the boot mod because the threading on the stick doesnt go down far enough. a die is used to increase the threading on the shaft.

also, i was thinking that maybe i should get a new shift boot thats a little.. bigger? do they even exist?

where do you guys find taps and dies?!