PDA

View Full Version : Heat Shield

quangsuke
06-12-2009, 12:26 AM
what is the purpose and is it at all important?

p.s. please dont reply saying it covers heat. cheers =D:thumbsup:

2MPRS
06-12-2009, 02:05 AM
this is just copy and paste from a website but should help :)
The heat shield prevents the heat of the exhaust from going upward, toward the floor of your car. And depending on which piece of the heat shield is missing, that could cause the bushings in your shifter to dry out and the bottom shields are there so that if you park on tall, dry grass or some other combustible material, your 600-degree exhaust system won't set stuff under the car on fire.

altong0840
06-12-2009, 11:01 AM
prevent Heat, reduce noise maybe?

EDracer
06-12-2009, 11:12 AM
given that the engine is a massive heat pump, the heat sheild helps to hold the heat in your exhaust where it is needed. the most common mistake people is making the engine running as cold as possible. engines are at the most efficient when run between 89 and 95 degrees. at this point the combustion is stronger and you are not at risk of boiling your fluids. plus the heat helps to atomize your fuel. of course you need cold air into the motor as cold air is more dense, but it is the heat that comes out of the engine that makes the power. keeping your exhaust headers hot means that your block is hotter. a hotter block means that the super hot gases from the combustion in the cylender expand faster. hence muoving the piston faster. so in a round about way the heat shield is to help keep the block hotter. at the same time keeps the extreme heat of other under hood componants.
all in all though it really only makes a few degrees difference in the QLD heat and really with the ambiant temp so high during summers it may feel like you motor is running slower, but that is because the intake air charge is hotter.

hope this helps.

beeza
06-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Get rid of it!

quangsuke
06-12-2009, 01:48 PM
thanks for the replies. i asked this question to see if i could remove it if it wasn't important. so i guess i will leave it on for now.

beeza
06-12-2009, 01:51 PM
It's not important,get rid of it.

Limbo
06-12-2009, 02:38 PM
no it is important as it keeps the heat in the headers (creates better scavaging of exhaust fumes) and then it keep the rest of the engine from getting heat soaked.
More heat in the engine bay will lower performance. Causing engine to breath in higher temp heat & can cause overheating

If u get rid of it, then wrap or ceramic coat ur headers.

FYI - I've got most of my gear ceramic coated and i'm looking at building an additional heat shield still

beeza
06-12-2009, 02:49 PM
I was always gonna wrap my headers in header wrap!

I'm gonna finially do it now LOL