PDA

View Full Version : something wrong with my brakes??

kevibumz
06-12-2009, 01:49 AM
hey guys,

got an ej8 with a jdm b16a conversion.
today i was driving and i had the air con on since it was 37 degrees.... sigh...
and when i was driving whether i stopped or was still in motion, my brake started to go all wrong. usually the harder u push the harder it will stop. but when i pressed it, it slowly went deeper without adding extra pressure to the brakes... this means when i push it in, it just keeps pushing it in and eventually i will have my foot to the floor just pushing the break in slkowly and i had to resort to using the hand brake. it is not an experience i wanna go through again, but does anyone know what this can be from? im going to the mechanics next week to get it checked out. but does anyone have any ideas so i know what im getting into.???

thanks in advance

drsilliez
06-12-2009, 10:00 AM
this use to happen to me all the time in my old car (a ford not a honda) but i cant rememebr the exact problem.

Just check your brake fluid levels and whether you have a leak in the line somewhere...

bennjamin
06-12-2009, 10:27 AM
the issue , is heat really.

Heat is expanding part or all of the internals of your brake master cylinder - you need to rebuild or replace the brake master cylinder.

altong0840
06-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Loose brake pedal and no brake power always relate to ur brake master cyclinder

Limbo
06-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Try the easy things first, 1 bleed your brakes, then if that doesn't work look at reconditioning your master brake cylinder

duzy
06-12-2009, 12:01 PM
hmm does it still happen out of normal driving, or only once then?

Try check ur break master cylinder for leaks and if then you gotta replace it. Just the bit with the reservoir, usually $100-200

kevibumz
06-12-2009, 08:17 PM
it only happened when the air con was on. when i turned it off after a few mins it wud be fine again. i figured it might be coz its cold or something? felt like the fluid was leaking but then it came back again afterwards. so ill get my master cylinder checked
cheers guys

B18cEG
06-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Have you checked your one way valve and or brake booster? with the engine off and you push down all the way down pumping the brakes does it hold pressure?

bennjamin
07-12-2009, 06:32 AM
The brake booster is directly relative to the engine rpm via a large vacuum tube to the inlet manifold. Perhaps faulty check valve on the pipe itslef could be contributing -

string
07-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Bad brake master cylinder. Expensive (get a new Honda one) but not difficult to replace. Seems to be a [relatively] common problem on the newer (94+) Hondas. Never experienced it on any of my DA9s (all 3 over 200,000km).