PDA

View Full Version : maintaining a turbo car

Mullensxxx
07-12-2009, 06:42 PM
just curious as to what things are required on a turbo car over a n.a car?

cheerrrrs

Riced_Civic
07-12-2009, 07:17 PM
oil changes

Mr_will
07-12-2009, 07:26 PM
warming it down before you turn the car off.

WATAJK
07-12-2009, 09:12 PM
warming it down before you turn the car off.

Idk about that
Isn't that just a factor if you've given her a good push...

Mr_will
07-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Idk about that
Isn't that just a factor if you've given her a good push...
the idea is to circulate the oil when the turbo is not spinning so it has a chance to cool, rather than sitting near the turbo when its hot, and turning to sludge

Lukey
07-12-2009, 09:35 PM
the idea is to circulate the oil when the turbo is not spinning so it has a chance to cool, rather than sitting near the turbo when its hot, and turning to sludge

is that what turbo timers are for?

Zilli
07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
yes they are, but you dont need a turbo timer to complete the function... you can leave your car running for a minute or two...

A turbo timer will automatically shut your car off after a pre-determined timeframe...

for a stock car there is no real need to warm it down, although it doesnt hurt to be safe... when a car is worked, ie. upped boost then you warm it down...

other than that there is no different in general maintenance between an NA and a turbo car... just have turbo's and intercoolers etc to maintain

xenonkuraz
07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Exactly right.

But unless you're going pedal to the metal all the time, just sit in your car for 30 seconds...or let it run while you admire your car.

Also keeping an eye on boost levels, air/fuel ratios, oil leaks etc.

WATAJK
08-12-2009, 04:54 AM

ahhh ok.. thought it was generally afta u give her a thrashin

Mr_will
08-12-2009, 05:50 AM
is that what turbo timers are for?

turbo timers generally require you to leave the car in neutral, which I would never do, even on flat ground, as handbrakes just cant be trusted. imo they are a secondary device there simply to assist - the main thing stopping the car is the fact that it is left in gear (1st or reverse) or P if its an auto.

imo warming down > turbo timer for the above reason.

Neesmo31
08-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Good maintenance practices, oil changes, gearbox oil changes, keep your water system clean and topped up with coolant/inhibitor, Full checks over the engine for oil leaks/water leaks, tighten up charge pipes, clean air filter. Basically all the fun stuff you like doing to your car!

Lukey
08-12-2009, 07:52 AM
turbo timers generally require you to leave the car in neutral

:thumbdwn:

Limbo
08-12-2009, 08:57 AM
of course you need to leave the car in neutral!
You shut your car the normal way, take the key out and walk away. Its the lazy way.
I always park my car in neutral, never had a problem.

A turbo car is just a higher maintance car then a standard car.

EK1.6LCIV
09-12-2009, 01:52 PM
on the nissan, frequent oil changes, excellent filter filtration for the fuel air and oil systems

royal purple doesn't hurt, every say 4,000 for an older model import

changes of the spark plugs/coil packs (if applicable) to the best money can buy

sitting in it on idle for 2-4 minutes after a decent drive on our sr20det or driving around the neighbourhood as low revs for at least 5km to let the turbine settle

check the brakes more often as well for excessive wear and find who sells oem replacements for a good price, also a company with affordable cheap 2nd hand rear tyres

invest in an oil pressure gauge as well

is the car standard or if not how modified

Mullensxxx
09-12-2009, 02:46 PM
im just asking for some general info, learn abit about an area i know nothing about

EK1.6LCIV
09-12-2009, 02:50 PM
all we did was get the cleanest most unmolested example forsale at the time and haven't had any problems, hell even has osaka dealership paperwork

siR_Pjamaz
09-12-2009, 03:54 PM
gettin it dyno tunned is a must

Zilli
10-12-2009, 06:46 AM
gettin it dyno tunned is a must

why?...

EK1.6LCIV
10-12-2009, 07:12 AM
I'd recommend having funds for a summer and winter tune and getting an aftermarket/piggyback computer if it doesn't already have one

tiksie
10-12-2009, 07:29 AM
why?...

I would also like to know the answer to that......

paile
10-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Hot and Cold temperature will effect how the turbo car perform, mainly due to hot air hence some ppl might like to boost it a little higher during winter, and abit less during Summer. I know mine (Liberty B4) and some car is subjected to pinging during summer.

A good tune, intercooler, CAI, water spray, ECU mod will solve the problem.

Neesmo31
10-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Shouldnt the computer make appropriate ignition and fuel changes due to inlet temps anyway?

paile
10-12-2009, 02:50 PM
From what I've read it is something more advance than just a ecu reset to relearn air fuel ratios, it involves fuel maps, ignition timing + a whole lot more?

Im no guru, maybe someone can enlighten us?

EK1.6LCIV
10-12-2009, 03:19 PM
in the B4 Legacy in winter on a summer tune it will incounter nice boost spikes, record was 22psi on a spirited drive as my neighbour neglected to retune to suit

Neesmo31
10-12-2009, 03:19 PM
What im saying is that a correct tune should adjust itself due to varying inlet temps. My microtech fitted on my skyline knocked timing out by certain percentages vs inlet temp rises.

redefine
10-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Hot and Cold temperature will effect how the turbo car perform, mainly due to hot air hence some ppl might like to boost it a little higher during winter, and abit less during winter.

i assume you mean a little less during summer??? if not which one dude :p

paile
10-12-2009, 10:32 PM
i assume you mean a little less during summer??? if not which one dude :p

Hehe thanks, post edited.