PDA

View Full Version : type r cam in vtir

djt
07-12-2009, 09:35 PM
just wondering i have a stock vtir if i put in type r cams would it make much difference aprox how much power . cheers

Zilli
07-12-2009, 10:00 PM
it MAY make a difference, but cams are just one part of a package... with it comes valve springs and retainers, exhaust and headers, and most importantly appropriate tuning...

You're better off getting the complete ITR head and ECU...

remember ITR vs VTI-R s only 20kw and no torque

dinorider
07-12-2009, 10:07 PM
remember ITR vs VTI-R s only 20kw and no torque

Agreed. I wouldn't just stuff the cams in there. The tuning is completely different.

Also B18C2 on the whole is a much more street friendly, all-round engine than the highly strung and frenetic B18C7.

I think too many people get too focused on the DC2R's engine bits, but what made the DC2R feel well and truly special was its suspension and chassis set-up.

string
07-12-2009, 10:34 PM
I think too many people get too focused on the DC2R's engine bits, but what made the DC2R feel well and truly special was its suspension and chassis set-up.
and brakes, and gearbox, and tyres, and weight, and seats

dougie_504
07-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Assuming you've already got I/H/E? Heavy duty clutch and lightened flywheel?

Then you could go Type R cams and adjustable cam gears.

But personally I think if you're going into the head you should do valves, valve springs, retainers, a port & polish job, recondition with VRS kit if possible, timing belt/water pump if need be etc. Just because you can do all the head work at once and then you have a monster :D

NSPYRE
07-12-2009, 11:55 PM
as mentioned above it wont make much, if any difference at all.

building a head isnt just about slapping on some cams and off you go. combinations have to thought through. lots has to be taken into consideration such as how you want your car to ride (hi-revving track/strip, or street friendly with solid mid-range gains),to selecting appropriate valve springs (seat pressure, open pressure, and max lift), as well as achieving the appropriate compression ratio to actually utilise the potential of the cams. there is no point in selecting cams built for compression ratios 13:1 or higher on a car with a ratio of 11:1. is the car built as a daily or a track only? titanium retainers will make your car perform better, but do u hav the money to replace them every 10 - 15,000km? would you be better off with steel but sacrifice the higher revvs?

anyways, the list goes on and on, but to answer your initial question, no, it wont do much at all

Limbo
08-12-2009, 04:39 PM
straight drop in, you'll loose power.

with a tune & dual valve springs on exhaust side there are minor gains to be had
Just rem that the type R revs till 9krpm, VTIR only 8,200rpm. If you wanna see the gains your gonna have to be able to rev close to that.