PDA

View Full Version : Low(er) temp fan switch

pitterson
08-12-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm looking for a replacement fan switch for my 1991 325i that's a direct replacement for the stock one in the radiator, but comes on at lower temps. I want to keep the 2-speed functionality, but I don't mind a little solder and shrink wrap action if I need to change connectors.

The stock one is rated at 91/99 deg C (low and high speeds), and I'm looking for one that's around 85/92 degrees. Again, I want one that will thread into the radiator tank without modification.

I know there's lots of universal after market stuff out there, but I'm not interested in that. Anyone?

jrxs-r
09-12-2009, 03:56 AM
Err.... I don't get it... You are after a replacement thermo switch, but are not interested in aftermarket 'universal' ones? Unless you meant that you are only interested in the ones that will bolt into the radiator directly? As long as you know what size it is, go to this website and have a browse....

http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Product.aspx?SG=8&S=35&G=483&P=2014

chowdaa
14-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Assuming its a e36, will still apply for a e30. BMW even back then were quite smart, do not try to alter the normal operating temp as the DME rely on these inputs to achieve the best in performance and economy.

If your car is overheating, check the radiator/expansion tank side tanks for leaks, thermostat housing above the water pump, check fan speed one with A/C and 2 with hot temps, makes sure your viscous fan is not weeping oil, heater taps also develop leaks over time, the 3/2 outlet from the heater core on the firewall also snap over time due to plastics exposed to heat cycles, worst case pull the waterpump out, the fins commonly become loose on the shaft.

There are much better ways to get more out of your car then this.