PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fibre Bonnets.

Giraffe
08-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Just a curious question, I've searched and found that it is illegal .
But is it illegal in Melbourne ?
because theres a huge majority of people with carbon fibre hoods, that i've seen .

tiksie
08-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Depends if the cop is picky mate.

Heaps of people in Sydney have CF hoods too..

ej20i
08-12-2009, 09:57 PM
when i had a cf hood for my car before in sydney, i called up rta and nrma
they both said that it is legal as long as its not fully carbon and has a structure by plastic, fiber glass and others
as long as the structure is not carbon fibre
but if it was 100% carbon i dont think many people can even afford anyway

NRMA did insured my cf bonnet

Limbo
08-12-2009, 09:59 PM
in sydney you can get them engineered if they have the structure underneath

Zilli
09-12-2009, 06:45 AM
i know most of the carbon bonnets getting around have a structure made of fibreglass etc... are these still lighter than the stock bonnet though?

hondar
09-12-2009, 08:50 AM
i know most of the carbon bonnets getting around have a structure made of fibreglass etc... are these still lighter than the stock bonnet though?

depends some are some not

i think newer car may use aluminium bonnet material so is lighter.

i think s2000 oem bonnet is on par with cf bonnet with fb underneath.

civic ek is heavier than cf bonnet.

most people get cf bonnet for the look more than anything else. thats why i get it in the past

WATAJK
09-12-2009, 08:53 AM
CF looks hawttt

Zilli
09-12-2009, 09:27 AM
yeh see i will only get it if there is function to it... dont really care much for the looks....

hondar
09-12-2009, 10:44 AM
yeh see i will only get it if there is function to it... dont really care much for the looks....

if u want just function, just get fiberglass bonnet. they are cheaper i reckon and weigh as light or even lighter compared to those cf bonnet with fb glass bottom. thats what i think.

those cf bonnet thats is truly lighter can cost a lot more

but technology may have advance so now you maybe be able to get light and reasonable price true cf bonnet

tiksie
09-12-2009, 11:31 AM
If you want CF for function, save up your pennies and get something that's 100% CF! 99% of them have a fibre glass skeleton with CF ontop.

NightKids
09-12-2009, 11:56 AM
I didn't know you could just get a fibreglass bonnet... How much do they cost and what colour do they come in?

Zilli
09-12-2009, 12:02 PM
OK... who manufactures Fibreglass bonnets?

WATAJK
09-12-2009, 12:15 PM

lol
name panel beaters that like dealing with fibre glass to lol

NightKids
09-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Boat place maybe!

VTECMACHINE
09-12-2009, 04:09 PM
I have a CF bonnet, and it is engineered.
It all depends on the engineer, and how they intepret the laws and rules of the RTA (or equivilant in Vic). The RTA, states that a bonnet is there purely as a cover for the engine. If you can put your fingers through a vent into the engine bay, it is deemed ilegal. If you cant get through the bonnet or holes in the bonnet it's legal. Some engineers say that a bonnet is there to absorb impact, and that it has to be made out of a maluable metal.

Regarding bonnet pins, most engineers don't have an issue with them. They say that if Mercs and jags can have hood ornaments, why aren't pins allowed?

WATAJK
09-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I have a CF bonnet, and it is engineered.
It all depends on the engineer, and how they intepret the laws and rules of the RTA (or equivilant in Vic). The RTA, states that a bonnet is there purely as a cover for the engine. If you can put your fingers through a vent into the engine bay, it is deemed ilegal. If you cant get through the bonnet or holes in the bonnet it's legal. Some engineers say that a bonnet is there to absorb impact, and that it has to be made out of a maluable metal.

Regarding bonnet pins, most engineers don't have an issue with them. They say that if Mercs and jags can have hood ornaments, why aren't pins allowed?

how much was it to get engineered

NightKids
09-12-2009, 06:27 PM
If anyone wants to respray my Bonnet black or sell me a good condition CF bonnet in Melb let me know. Willing to pay $150 for the respray or $350 for the bonnet. A lil low I know but if anything can do it let me know via PM

hondar
09-12-2009, 11:15 PM

i used to sell them and can get them. but i have decided to stay pure jdm only. so i dont bring them anymore. i was offered the fiberglass version only or cf layer with fiberglass bottom

if you look around.. some of the nissan bonnet are fiberglass only.

maybe it is no longer popular hence people stop producing anymore. but 100% sure you can get them in fiberglass only ie without the cf layer on top.

even js racing has the fiberglass version only for some of the bonnet. i am sure there are people who makes them but i dont know who else.

Zilli
10-12-2009, 06:41 AM
thanks man! i'll look into it

WATAJK
20-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Are carbon fibre wings also illegal??? (Eg Mugen DC5R Wing)
Thanks

dongsoo
21-12-2009, 08:54 AM
if anyone wants to respray my bonnet black or sell me a good condition cf bonnet in melb let me know. willing to pay $150 for the respray or $350 for the bonnet. a lil low i know but if anything can do it let me know via pm

lol !!!!

EK1.6LCIV
22-12-2009, 02:51 PM
the only bonnets up north I've seen that are able to be engineered with ease is a fibreglass item if you wanted vents (Blitz) worth over a grand though unpainted as is

carbon up here highly doubt it, drive down goldy and police will hand out tickets, it's a visual defect and has been explained a dozen times when we've been out as it can shatter on impact whereas steel/alum holds it's shape better without shearing off into sharp pieces

there used to be a place in geebung (custom carbon) that sold legal carbon pieces, but they're long gone

I've heard cops also use deflection 9by pushing against it with their hand) in the material as another reason for defection lol

the cops told us during a community information evening (yep over 500 local car nuts had the police together on a few occasions up here to discuss law awhile back), that if we wanted to have a layer of carbon ontop of a fibreglass shell it was fine as it was more rigid in an impact, that was really where it was only allowed