PDA

View Full Version : Clicking noise

Silverstone
09-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Just been through the common s2k problems and found this which is very similar to my problem

Problem: Clicking noise from rear when moving in first gear or reverse. Sounds like two metal marbles.
Solution: Honda use to torque the axle nuts to 180 lbs. The correct torque is now 230 lbs. Torque your axle nuts.
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=681492

MY QUESTION IS: where can i get my axle nuts torqued? and can i do it myself?

JAP-S2K
09-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Mate just do them up tight. And you'll be fine.

OMG.JAI xD
09-12-2009, 05:29 PM
230ft/lbs is basically FT.

FT is F*cking tight. Get a truck rattle gun and gun it up. =] Snap it.

JAP-S2K
09-12-2009, 08:47 PM
FT is F*cking tight.

:thumbsup:

Silverstone
11-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Found a DIY for this, will do try and do it tomorrow.

Do it yourself; I did:
Here is how
Difficulty level 1/10
Tools required: 36mm socket;
250 LB-FT torque wrench;
Hammer;
Center punch;
Wheel wrench

15minutes per side.

You can tell if you have this issue by pushing and pulling on the axle with the park brake released and the car in gear. (see picture) I had the issue on the Drivers side only. Passenger side was fine. As you pull on the axle you will hear the infamous click. Push it back in towards the diff and pull again, you will hear the click once more. This excessive play in the drive shaft is a clear indication you are working on the right issue.

Remove the wheel
Using a ceter punch and hammer, un-stake the spindle nut.

Be careful not to turn the engine when using a wrench to loosen and tighten the spindle nut. Turning your engine in reverse could cause serious damage. Ensure the park brake is on when turning the spindle nut. With this in mind, ensure that when you re-tighten the spindle nut that you have pulled the drive shaft from the diff before applying the park brake to tighten the nut.

Apply a thin film of grease on the spindle nut before putting it on the spindle. This is only to reduce friction while torquing the nut.
Once you have tightened the nut to 240 lb-ft, re-stake the spindle nut.
You should see about a 10 degree difference from where the nut was previously staked. (if reusing the original nut)

Put the wheel back on the car and test by driving forward and back with someone beside the car listening for the click.

My click is history.

PS:
Ensure you check the boots on the axle joints while you are there.

http://s2000.com/forums/engine-tech-drivetrain/6514-single-click-sound-from-axle-area.html#post65204

NVD52K
12-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Just been through the common s2k problems and found this which is very similar to my problem

Problem: Clicking noise from rear when moving in first gear or reverse. Sounds like two metal marbles.
Solution: Honda use to torque the axle nuts to 180 lbs. The correct torque is now 230 lbs. Torque your axle nuts.
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=681492

MY QUESTION IS: where can i get my axle nuts torqued? and can i do it myself?

the only clicking noise i experienced is when i started the car reversed and pressed the brake to lock in itself, also the clicking noise with the bearings gone

Age_S2000
13-12-2009, 07:29 PM
mate mine were doin the same thing i took them off applied a dot of medium lock tight and got my 700ft/lb snap on rattle gun onto her n shes right now :D :D

Silverstone
14-12-2009, 10:06 PM
finished doing it while doing it I switched the axle nuts from one side to another, clicking noise is gone and car feels alot better now.

mikoZ
15-01-2010, 06:40 AM
i had same problem which started yesterday, i ll fix it today, just wondering which one i should tightened the axle nuts to:
220lb-ft, seems recommand by honda
230lb-ft, from s2ki
and sum ppl did it to 240lbs

also should i have worry later about the same click noize after i fix it this time
and how many times can i screw it back again.

JAP-S2K
15-01-2010, 07:26 AM
even 240lb-ft is fine, remember to swap the nuts around. left to right and vice versa.

mikoZ
15-01-2010, 07:43 AM
even 240lb-ft is fine, remember to swap the nuts around. left to right and vice versa.

sure thing, thx mate

winkyc
15-01-2010, 08:03 AM
sorry.

is this the same situation with clicking when u finish driving the car?

i notice it on my s2k and my mates.

just wondering if thats normal?

its like tick.. tick.. tick but goes after when the car starts to cool down?

mikoZ
15-01-2010, 08:52 AM
sorry.

is this the same situation with clicking when u finish driving the car?

i notice it on my s2k and my mates.

just wondering if thats normal?

its like tick.. tick.. tick but goes after when the car starts to cool down?

we talking abt 2 totally different things

the tick tick sounds you talking abt is very normal for most car
i think it from ur catalyzer...

winkyc
15-01-2010, 12:39 PM
oh ok thanks mate. thought it was normal.