PDA

View Full Version : Carsales Scammer? AUS to UK Export?

Scott.QQ
10-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi all..

I'm currently selling my EK on carsales. I've received an SMS from a UK number, requesting I email him at his address.

"Just saw your ad on carsguide and I'm interested in the quick purchase. Pls email me at blahblah@gmail.com. Peter"

So i send an email and get this in return

"Scott,

Thanks for the prompt response.

I will be very grateful if you can send me a direct link to the ad again on carsguide.com.au as I lost it after my computer restarted.

Besides I will like to know more about its condition and possibly have more pictures of it I will be very glad to have more pictures of it. Do as well advise on the least amount you will like to give it away. I will be very glad to conclude this as soon as possible.

Due to the nature of my work, I will not be able to travel out of the United kingdom to come for the inspection. I will however be needing your full contact address so that I can forward it to my shipping agent here in the United Kingdom who will be coming over there for the inspection and shipping.

Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon.."

so i ask a few more questions and get this

"Scott,

I am actually buying this car as a gift for my son. So i will be shipping it to the UK. Please send me the pictures as soon as you can.

Peter"

Now this screams scam at me.. Why would anyone want to import an EK to the UK? KMH to MPH conversions and such..

any thoughts?

bennjamin
10-12-2009, 10:52 AM
its a scam.
dont bother wasting your time.

lithium
10-12-2009, 11:05 AM
scam.

http://www.autoshippers.co.uk/car_shipping_scam.htm
http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/section/cashback_fraud.htm

SiReal
10-12-2009, 11:11 AM
send him a pic of a nigerian scammer or a fat lady or something quite stupid. even a piece of shit.

Scott.QQ
10-12-2009, 11:12 AM
thanks for the links! I thought so.

hopefully others can learn from this aswell ;)

Chriskoss
10-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Shhhhcam..

Send him a pic of a tricycle and tell him you will accept no less than 50 million pounds and also a romantic night with the queen her majesty

Scott.QQ
10-12-2009, 11:25 AM
haha massive scammer

Scott.

Thanks for sending me more information about the car. It was really of immense help. I am glad to know that the car is of a good mechanical condition and has not had any accident in the past. Your sincerity is something I see very necessary to appreciate. Thanks a lot.

I have actually tried to get this car here earlier from here but most of the ones I got either have one huge mechanical fault or the other and some have even had accidents in the past while some are extremely exorbitant.

My decision to try and get one from Australia is basically because the car makes conforms with the United Kingdom's as they are also right hand drives..

I am actually trying to get this car for my first son will be adding a year to his age in about 3 weeks as this has always been a fan of this car. So I think its worth paying whatever the shipping charges will be just to put a laughter on his face.

As to the price, I will offer you $9k. So if you deem the offer good enough, I will be very glad to make the payment asap through my PayPal account as I am currently offshore and I won't definitely be able to make it to my bank to make bank wires across to you.

As to shipping, you need not worry yourself about how the car will get to me here in the United Kingdom as I will contact a shipping company here who will handle that. I will however be needing your contact address to be able to get the shipping quote from the shipping company.

Do get back to me asap with your PayPal Email address and Full name so that I can remit the payment asap.

Cheers,

Peter

I told him I had been offered 10k locally and asked he wanted to offer more..

lithium
10-12-2009, 11:48 AM
tell him you don't have a paypal account and ask him to transfer the money to you by western union money transfer. see if you can outscam the scammer :D

in seriousness report him and the email address to carsales.com and leave it, don't waste your time

Scott.QQ
10-12-2009, 01:29 PM
the email address is along the lines of "sct4142@gmail.com" so i would assume they have hundreds of different ones and when people bite after the original SMS they just work from there.

haha.. i'm considering seeing if i can shift the money around... get it into the bank then close that account blah blah.. I dunno about any possible repercussions, but I wont be sending anyone any money.

Just got an offer of 10.5 haha.. what a douchebag.

anfo2gig
10-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Lol Scammer....

wAYzoR
10-12-2009, 01:37 PM
I say go along with it, and scam the scammer. once western union is sent, there is no return :D

lithium
10-12-2009, 01:48 PM
ah it looks like this guy is using this scamming scheme:

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection/scamnet/Scams/Online_car_sales_sca.html

in that case you can't try to withdraw funds before they are cancelled like with the bogus cheque scheme

actually even if it was the bogus cheque scheme, and you take the money straight out, unfortunately once the bank finds out the seller was dodgy they will chase you, not the cheque writer, to return the money to them. so it won't work :)

if you are intent on trying to scam the scammer why don't you ask him to send a deposit of something small (eg. fifty bucks) via something non-returnable like western union as a holding deposit for the car, and tell him after it's received you'll proceed with the agreed fake paypal/shipping agency process. obviously he'll never send you 10k through WU but with a token amount you might be in with a chance. you never know :D :D

J-Spec23
10-12-2009, 02:10 PM
i had these kinda emails twice.

heres one example

"i am buying the car for dad and i am at sea at the moment as i am a marine engineer and i really want the car to be a surprise for dad so i wont let him know anything abt the car until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will be more than happy with the car.I insisted on paypal because i dont have access to my bank account online as i dont have internet banking, but i can pay from my paypal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payments asap for the car and pls if you dont have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com.au and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through.I have a pick up agent that will come and pick the car up after i have made the payments. "

Scott.QQ
10-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Yeah exactly.. I actually received that one prior to this current one..
CarSales is horrible for scammers.

EDIT: haha I will try scam him for 50 or so..

WATAJK
10-12-2009, 02:50 PM
scam him!!!!!!
that scammer that is lol

lithium
10-12-2009, 03:13 PM
nigerian scam techniques ftmfw :D

J-Spec23
10-12-2009, 09:43 PM
punch that scammer. it pisses me off.

RiceMeister
10-12-2009, 09:51 PM
i had the whole "im overseas on a boat and these wheels are for my dads accord" story before...nearly had me...theyre tricky cvnts lol

hisoka
10-12-2009, 10:32 PM
man i wanna be contacted by one of these guys lol it sounds fun.

btw they give some pretty good stories LOL

J-Spec23
10-12-2009, 10:43 PM
haha yeah my gf believed it when she read that email ,
she was so happy n etc and im like dude.. dont bother replying its a scam.
n she actually sent the person back a msg -_- not believing me
silly silly girl..

Scott.QQ
11-12-2009, 12:47 AM
I asked if the payment could be sent through western union... got the "I'm offshore so paypal is the only option"

hmmm

J-Spec23
11-12-2009, 12:59 AM
Say:
Well i dont think paypal is the only option i am a marine engineer and i have a lot of offshore work and i still could transfer even. Contact ur bank like i did its not a hard thing to do since you do want to buy it as a gift for your son.

get them back wit the story i posted haha "marine engineer off shore work "

StrawberryFace
11-12-2009, 01:02 AM
LOL he doesnt realize uve noticed hes a scammer....... idiot should be shoot juss like the SHIT DRIVERS out there. lol have fun!!

RiceMeister
11-12-2009, 07:57 AM
haha the guy I had convinced me that he could only use PayPal and that western union couldn't be used and was a navy catographer in Britain lol. I realised he was a scammer but kept replying to his emails and playing around with him, was pretty funny. I managed to get a follow up phone number to call. I called it and some asian fobd dude picked up. I was "hello im after paypal australia" he replied "hi, um, oh yes we are the paypal, how can i do you for?" FAIL. he had no idea, so just started abusing him for a bit haha.

i started spamming the scammers email address with hate mail was pretty entertaining when hed reply like "im sorry you feel this way, all i wanted was a present for my father..." babaha

lithium
11-12-2009, 09:32 AM
I asked if the payment could be sent through western union... got the "I'm offshore so paypal is the only option"

hmmm

ask him to send you a $50 holding deposit via paypal first, and when you receive it you'll be happy to continue with the whole shipping agency scam. pretend you really believe him and say you're really happy to have found a buyer offering a good price and you're happy the car is going to a good home and you're sure his son will love the car :D

as far as i know you can't undo paypal transfers easily :thumbsup:

or, sensible option is to leave it and spend your time doing something more enjoyable - like drinking beer :)

Lukey
11-12-2009, 09:38 AM
how do you know that phone number he gave you wasnt some random?

Lukey
11-12-2009, 10:00 AM
or, sensible option is to leave it and spend your time doing something more enjoyable - like drinking beer :)

but if you get the money from him you can use it to buy the beer ;)

RiceMeister
11-12-2009, 10:05 AM
how do you know that phone number he gave you wasnt some random?

because the guy went along after I said paypal he was like "ahh yes sir, let me process your transaction for you, it was for the wheels wasn't it?" before id even mentioned wheels of any variety haha

TypeS
11-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Refer to this thread (http://www.auszookers.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8525&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0). Same scam.

Lukey
11-12-2009, 10:31 AM
bwahaha

lithium
11-12-2009, 10:52 AM
but if you get the money from him you can use it to buy the beer ;)

muhahah :D :thumbsup:

Raztaz
11-12-2009, 11:26 AM
try get a small deposit and send the scammer something 4dlulz
refer to http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/ and http://oddorama.com/2008/02/11/scamming-the-scammers-5-brilliant-419-reverse-scams/
send him a matchbox car lol

l33t
11-12-2009, 11:41 AM
lol, just send him a picture of the car in the container!

that macbook scam, was awesome.

Lukey
11-12-2009, 12:25 PM
that powerbook one is e-e-e-e-epic

RiceMeister
11-12-2009, 12:43 PM
powerbook scam is win.

hisoka
11-12-2009, 04:02 PM
try get a small deposit and send the scammer something 4dlulz
refer to http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/ and http://oddorama.com/2008/02/11/scamming-the-scammers-5-brilliant-419-reverse-scams/
send him a matchbox car lol

good read on that 419 one. the tattoo one was fkn epic

and the one were the guy re writed harry potter book lol, what a retard

MWAKU
27-01-2010, 08:12 AM
if someone asks you, and he wants to pay through paypal, how does the scam work, cause once the money is in the account doesn't it stay there? or does he still use a cheque that bounces :S

flipfire
27-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Scammers usually send a fake payment received email making it look like a real paypal email. People sometimes dont check their paypal account if the money has gone in, especially when its a busy account.

Either that or a hacked Paypal account.

curtis265
27-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Lolman, that happened to me too.

I wasnt aware it was a scam, but i wasn't keen on shipping a seemingly worthless car...

CONAN
27-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Hi,

I'm sorry for this late reply but I have been overwhelmed by the number of emails that I have received after I have put the car for sale on carsales.com.au .The car is in excellent condition both inside and out (including engine), the bodywork is immaculate, no scratches, dents or hidden defects.The final price is only $18,000 with shipping included and you have to make a $7000 deposit so I can start the shipping.

I love this car and I am very upset at having to sell it but I've just moved in London, United Kingdom with my new job so I will handle the transaction from here. The car is located at a local warehouse in Southport,TAS and from there will be delivered.You will have 5 days inspection period, while you will be able to see and test the car before buying it.

Due to amount involved and due the fact I am not located in Australia I will close this transaction only through eBay for our own protection , which will hold the payment until you receive the car.Your funds will be 100% insured by eBay . In this way both of us will start the deal with good faith so we can take it to a smooth end.

If you are interested in this car please provide me the following details in order to start the transaction through eBay:

-Your Full Name
-Your Shipping Address
-eBay id

I sincerely look forward to hearing from you soon,

Samuel Johnson

MWAKU
27-01-2010, 08:53 PM
hmms so about the paypal thing, even if it was a hacked paypal account and the money goes in the account, can they take it out again. and obv ill check that the money goes in tho

flipfire
27-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Paypal is not a completely safe method of payment. Its not hard to screw someone over and get away with the money.

Yes they can forcibly retrieve funds if its still in the paypal account.

henrygiang
27-01-2010, 09:11 PM
hmms so about the paypal thing, even if it was a hacked paypal account and the money goes in the account, can they take it out again. and obv ill check that the money goes in tho

there is a massive thread on whirlpool about it
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1340763.html