PDA

View Full Version : Accord euro engine trouble

YDENY4
12-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Just wondering if anyone has come across this problem before. Every now and then when i start my car (accord euro 03), three warning lights stay on after all the rest disappear, engine light, amber exclamation light with triangle and VSA light. I switch the car off and turn it back on, the lights disappear. BUT even after the lights disappear the car seems to run like crap. Feels like i literally only have 10% power and the harder i push the accelerator the worse the car seems to perform. So to actually get the car to move, i am only able to push the pedal to a minimum amount, anything more than quarter pedal and the car loses power instead of gain. After about an hour of driving it seems to be perfect again. Start the car the next day and same thing again. Anyone got any ideas?????

chowdaa
19-12-2009, 12:09 AM
something similar i had, check if your brake lights or horn work.
my horn had shorted and blown the brake light/horn fuse causing all sorts of strange faults and lights. If this isn't your issue, check ALL fuses under the bonnet and on the drivers side dash. keepin it simple for now

Min988
19-12-2009, 05:41 AM
Go to honda to see what code your car is spitting, my car was running exactly the same and its was the throttle body, turns out I had a bad batch of fuel which contain a little water.

YDENY4
23-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Went to honda and they reset the codes and said it was nothing serious but to keep an eye on it. Was fine for one day then the next morning same thing again! Min988 what happened with the throttle body?? Did yours have the exact same errors on the dash and the car run crap some days and others it would be fine?

aaronng
23-12-2009, 09:57 AM
You need to get the codes read. Resetting it does not make the problem go away. Ask the dealer to read the codes and let you know. Post them up here and we can tell you which part has failed.

From your description, I'm suspecting MAP sensor.

YDENY4
23-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Just got off the phone to them and apparently there were a fair few codes, they said that they do the reset and if that doesnt fix it then i need to take it back and then they check which errors have re appeared. I remember one of the errors they said was ECU

YDENY4
23-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Its actually getting worse too, now sometimes when i start the car its fine, then after about 20mins of driving the three same lights show up and instantly the car is running crap again. If im sitting at a traffic light and there is a slight upwards hill the car actually struggles to make it up. Thats how bad it is.

aaronng
23-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Don't drive the car until the problem is fixed. You don't want to risk physical damage to the engine.

YDENY4
23-12-2009, 05:02 PM
The earliest i could book it in is wednesday, wont be driving it till then i think. The saying really is true, if its got **** or wheels, its gonna give you a headache. And hit your wallet too..

aaronng
23-12-2009, 06:46 PM
The earliest i could book it in is wednesday, wont be driving it till then i think. The saying really is true, if its got **** or wheels, its gonna give you a headache. And hit your wallet too..

Everything has a cost to run. If you don't maintain your car with regular small costs, then you get hit with a big repair cost. Did you own the car since new or was it used?

YDENY4
23-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Thats true, no i only purchased it a few months ago, it was running great till about 2 weeks ago

aaronng
23-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Well, you'll have to see what has to be replaced. Hopefully it is not ants eating your ECU (happened to someone either here or on the tsx.acurazine forums).

YDENY4
23-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Haha never heard that one before

aaronng
24-12-2009, 07:26 AM
Ah, it was on Ozhonda: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64167&highlight=euro+ants

Min988
24-12-2009, 07:30 AM
My problem went away after a week, and new fuel.

YDENY4
24-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks for mentioning that thread, seems like the last post had the exact same troible as me, anyone know what this ADP sensor is?

<0Bass
16-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I had this problem too. 3 warning lights (Engine, VSA and Exclamation) would come on and suddenly the engine ran really rough and lost power. Turning the car on then off would clear them for a while only for them to come back again.

My car was due for it's 90K service so I took it to a Honda dealer and told them about the probkem. An oil change and reset of the codes has fixed the problem and I haven't seen these lights come on in over a month.

The dealer said the problem is arises when the oil levels are getting low resulting in problems in keeping oil pressure which effects the ability of an actuator to adjust the position of the camshaft. I've kept an eye on the oil levels since the service and everything seems fine.

2005 Euro Lux manual.

sameol3
17-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for mentioning that thread, seems like the last post had the exact same troible as me, anyone know what this ADP sensor is?

Not sure exactly what it stands for but its the Pedal positioning sensor, detects how much you press the accelator and then sends a signal to the butterfly valve to open. Obviously if this unit is faulty then the valve won't open = no power. Hence the 10% power.

The unit is located right in front of the passenger side engine bay, u'll see a thin cable going to it (like a normal drive by wire cable), since our cars arent drive by wire this unit sends the signal to the valve electronically.

Might just have to open the unit and give it a clean, there should be a cable and harness going to the engine from this unit. might be worth while giving it a clean as sometimes it gets oil in it causing it to fail and not nessarily needing to be replaced. Something Deddy from Top one told me.