PDA

View Full Version : Do I need extras to install headunit?

KeyMan
13-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi guys, I have a 1998 Honda Civic and I want to replace the factory headunit with this (http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-gps-navigation/mp3-cd-tuners/alpine/200-watt-mp3-cd-tuner-25575/) Alpine model. I've done a bit of reading around and found this (http://lonewolfonline.net/honda-civic-remove-radio-headunit/) guide which shows me how to take out the old one and put a new one in.

Now from my research, I've seen some people say that I will need an adapter to hook up aftermarket units into my Honda and other people saying I will need a special tool/bracket. So I want to know whether I need any extras to install the unit or will I have everything I need once I purchase the above mentioned unit? Thanks :)

riruiz_88
13-12-2009, 06:10 PM
if you buy the alpine unit, it should come with its own wire harness. it would also come with a universal bracket to fit the unit into. the bracket has tabs that you are able to bend to hold the headunit into place.

CB7_OWNER
13-12-2009, 08:57 PM
You have everything you need, if your purchasing the kit new... you just gotta splice the old honda harness, and wire in the new head unit. New units come with a metal bracket.. as mentioned above, you just bend as many tabs as you can to secure the bracket down, and the unit will slot right in.

KeyMan
13-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

You have everything you need, if your purchasing the kit new... you just gotta splice the old honda harness, and wire in the new head unit.

One more question, is wiring in the new head unit a difficult job? I've never done it before so this will be my first time. Is there a high chance of me stuffing something up/blowing a fuse if I follow the instructions methodically and correctly? If it's something hard for a noob to do then I might just pay someone to install it for me rather than run the risk.

arverson
13-12-2009, 10:53 PM
its not hard. just get a wiring adapter/harness from aerpro and itll basically be plug&play, no splicing needed. the hard(er) part is knowing how to take the dash/panels off.. but if you're not confident then take it to a pro. doesnt cost much to get it done anyway.

SiReal
13-12-2009, 10:59 PM
if you know how to put a triangle shape in a triangle hole, and a sqaure shape in a square hole, then you can wire it up.

in terms of radio, just match the HU harness wire to the same car harness wire, by following the diagram. The colours will be different. . e.g. Left front speaker + from HU to Left front speaker + from wiring harness. Complete that process x ~15 wires and you're done.

just do a check with your fad and bal to see if Front left IS front left. etc etc With anything, do it once and u can do it again , and again and again. i've done 5 audio installs already for various cars i've owned :)

SiReal
13-12-2009, 11:03 PM
This site is good for DIY. I would use this as well as the above for further clarification. Jsut select your model.

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Honda/Civic.html

KeyMan
14-12-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated :)