PDA

View Full Version : whirring noise

henrygiang
14-12-2009, 11:17 AM
hi guys

i get a whirring noise from about 2-3000 revs when in 1st and 2nd gear. it road noise gets too loud for me to hear if its happening in 3rd or beyond. it sounds similar to say a push bike with the cards flicking the spokes on the wheels but it flicks very quick. the noise is very quiet and i can only hear it when i turn off the radio. maybe i just didnt notice it before or something but not quite sure. i dont think its the ISB cause it doesnt happen on idle.

any suggestions?

the noise also increases its speed with the increase in rpm.

Nepolian
14-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Leaky exhaust?

Where on the car is it coming from?

henrygiang
14-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Leaky exhaust?

Where on the car is it coming from?

its coming from the front... not any particular side......was thinking may be something to do with the driveshaft?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
14-12-2009, 12:04 PM
to me it sounds like its possibly related to your drive shafts or drivetrain

:edit: could be a cv boot?

BluEG
14-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Could be wheel bearings or cv's

Zilli
14-12-2009, 12:38 PM
clutch buzz... common issue

EK1.6LCIV
14-12-2009, 01:14 PM
what causes clutch buzz and retification process? :)

jords
14-12-2009, 01:17 PM
what causes clutch buzz and retification process? :)

Release bearing?

henrygiang
14-12-2009, 02:12 PM
to me it sounds like its possibly related to your drive shafts or drivetrain

:edit: could be a cv boot?

dont think its a cv boot cause they look fine and no grease has come out. will jack up the car and check under the car this arvo/tonite

henrygiang
15-12-2009, 04:08 PM
so i jacked up teh car and spun the wheels and its not the wheel bearing. also turned on the car and gave it a bit of gas and the noise was gone. came back though when i was actually driving the car. still not sure what it is. hoping its not something to do with the gearbox

also what should i be looking out for under the car when i jack/ed it up? i need to start ruling things out like the driveshaft and other bits n pieces.

thanks guys

Belinda03
17-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Get your tyres checked. I had a similar issue like that with my Euro about 2 years ago. Replaced the tires and the noise was gone. However it did come back a couple weeks ago as my rear tyres were just past being roadworthy. Got them changed today and the noise was still there. This time its the right rear wheel bearing. So it really could be a number of things but maybe take the car to a tyre shop and ask them to check them for you.

M@lew
17-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? It could be a busted resonator since I had a similar sound and found out it was a resonator in my exhaust that was falling apart on the inside.

MRB18R
17-12-2009, 11:53 PM
yeah there is a big possibility that you might have holes in your exhaust pipe, its best to go and get it checked out... i had that problem with my old GTi Swift, and thats also right after about 3rd you dont really hear it much because of the road noise... but the best thing to do might be to sell them or get a metal plate welded on to the hole to cover it but it wont be the same im pretty sure...

anyways i hoped that helped someway :)

GL with it

henrygiang
18-12-2009, 12:44 AM
uploaded a video of the sound onto youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYNE0TzsgXY&feature=youtube_gdata

sound is a bit soft but you can definitely hear the ticking/whirring noise

car is going to be checked out by the mechanic on monday so hopefully will have an answer then. thanks guys for all the replies