PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Honda Civic Si Gearbox Problem

TimmyV
15-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Hi guys. I just signed up to the forums today as this seems like a very handy reference! I don't have much knowledge when it comes to anything mechanical. So sorry if I sound like a moron.

I own a 1993 Honda Civic Si EH. Have discovered a gearbox problem. Has just had a new clutch installed. The car goes up through the gears fine until it gets to fifth. Sometimes I can change back down to forth, but most of the time it gets "stuck" and won't got back down. I have to pull over and pull down hard on the gearstick to get it out of fifth. Then it stays stuck in fifth for some time. I pretty much have to turn the engine off and try to get it back into first by stalling.

Is my gearbox stuffed? Or is this something else? Can anyone help?

Cheers.

na-118
15-12-2009, 10:02 AM
you could try changing the box fluid and bleeding it, if it doesn't work, then pull the box apart syncros might be damaged

TimmyV
15-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Cheers. Will change the fluid myself and see if that fixes anything. I can get my mate to take the box apart and have a look. If the syncros are damaged, what costs am I looking at to get fixed?

na-118
15-12-2009, 10:28 AM
are you planning to keep the car for long if not put a 2nd handy box in si gearbox doesnt cost much

TimmyV
15-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Prob will be keeping it for a little while. Problem is an Si gearbox might be hard to come by in Tassie, and I have tried most the local wreckers and not had much luck.

~Sp33~
15-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Did you have this problem before the gearbox was removed? Sounds like a bad shift linkage. I'd definitely be checking those before dropping the box again.

TimmyV
15-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I bought the car after the new clutch was put in. So am not sure if the problem existed before now. Is checking the linkages something I can do? (Sorry no technical knowledge at all here lol) Otherwise my best mate is a mechanic and I can get him over to look at it.

~Sp33~
15-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I'd get him to look at it, he should know what to look for. If there's slack in the cables that connect the gear shift to the transmission, it's likely to cause trouble with selecting certain gears.

TimmyV
15-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Ok cool. Thanks mate.

sloth
15-12-2009, 11:24 AM
hey there, yea good luck finding parts for civic from wreckers in tassie... i was after a front control arm, ended up just buying new.

i had an issue with my gearbox not going into 2nd like at all.. i had my mechanic go over it and he said the shift linkage was rooted.. said he was surprised that it changed gears at all. put a new one one and its super easy to change now real smooth :) good luck mate

AND GO TASSIE! haha

TimmyV
15-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Haha! Yeah mate its pretty hard to find anything! I was calling around wreckers in Launceston Friday to find some headrests...one wrecker had a 1993 civic! And he would only sell full seats only!

Was talking to my mate then, he said if it was to do with the slave cylinder I wouldn't get any gears as too the shift linkage cables. Without looking at it he seemed to think it was the syncros, therefore rebuild. So looks like I will be either dropping a bomb for a rebuild or trying to find another gearbox for a while!

sloth
15-12-2009, 11:34 AM
yea, just what ever you decide DONT GO TO HONDA CENTRAL! they are way to over priced! ill keep an eye out for ya, i hang around just Japaneses alot ya know just seeing whats about.. if anything comes up ill pm ya

TimmyV
15-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Hell no! Haha I'm not going near the Honda outlets! Don't have the cash to hang out there!

Awesome, thanks mate. Appreciate it.

...and yeah GO TASSIE haha :D

~Sp33~
15-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Was talking to my mate then, he said if it was to do with the slave cylinder I wouldn't get any gears as too the shift linkage cables.

It's possible for the cables to not be adjusted correctly. It's not like they've fallen off.

Either way good luck with it. Gear box rebuilds aren't fun.

ali
29-12-2009, 10:40 AM
TimmyV you ARE a moron :) tee hee hee xxx xxx

p.s. and yes it is stuffed - driving on the highway is just damn scary! and also you can't spell...its fourth not forth :) xxx xxx

geeang
29-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I was having a very similar problem to yours, gears went in and got 'stuck' and had to be forced out.

Turns out my gearbox needed a new ISB (Input Shaft Bearing + seal ~$90 from honda)
My problem was worse, the ISB shattered and pushed against 1st gear/main shaft and grinded it so I need a new shaft + 1st gear as well.

Drive it as little as possible, and get it checked out ASAP before it gets worse.