PDA

View Full Version : 94 Accord questions

northerly
16-12-2009, 01:11 AM
HI all, new to this forum and any help would be great.

I bought my first Honda a week ago, a 94 Accord VTI which is running nicely, enjoying the fuel economy and actually appreciating a light FWD chassis much to my dismay since the car was meant to be an A-B car.

I have owned a few cars previously namely (relatively) big engined RWD things - a 31 skyline and two falcons, one of which I tinkered with suspension/shocks, lsd diff, extractors/cat-back, intake, performance cam etc. Fuel was ****ed and I eventually burned out the clutch, fractured the clutch pedal box, and destroyed the gearbox. That coupled with a bit of maturity made the decision to buy a small engined japanese car to be so.

But I was wondering.. out of sheer curiosity mainly rather than doing so.. what mods can be done to it? Obviously you have intake and exhaust, but more specifically are there any on-aftermarket items to improve it? For eg. my falcon, I put in an xr8 lsd with better ratios rather than buying say a cusco one (doubt they make one for falcons anyway..).

Also the best gains are to be had with cams (keeping in mind a cheap budget). the f22b1 is a single cammer (to my surprise, I thought all vtech was dohc before). I looked on a few cam sites that made falcon cams but can't find anything for hondas. Where should I be looking?

Moreso, I don't know how vtec would go with a bigger cam, the whole thing is a mystery to me having had non-VVT SOHCs all my life.

Also, is there a LSD to fit? Say from a typre R accord? Was one made? Do people weld their diffs?

Thanks for any answers, 99% would not be doing anything to this car as the whole honda vtech FWD thing is not for me and the money spent on making a serious all motor 1.6/1.8/2.2 would be too much in comparison to getting power out of a turbo or 8.. but curious nonetheless.. thanks!

robert@bisimoto
16-12-2009, 11:10 AM
HI all, new to this forum and any help would be great.

Also the best gains are to be had with cams (keeping in mind a cheap budget). the f22b1 is a single cammer (to my surprise, I thought all vtech was dohc before). I looked on a few cam sites that made falcon cams but can't find anything for hondas. Where should I be looking?

Moreso, I don't know how vtec would go with a bigger cam, the whole thing is a mystery to me having had non-VVT SOHCs all my life.

Bisimoto offers F22b1 cams. You can pm me or AKmotorworks. We offer a wide variety of products for the F22 both vtec and nonvtec.

kccord
16-12-2009, 03:06 PM
Geez Robert/Justin, you're everywhere!!!

I bought my first Honda a week ago, a 94 Accord VTI which is running nicely, enjoying the fuel economy and actually appreciating a light FWD chassis much to my dismay since the car was meant to be an A-B car.

Accord is 1380KG Car...not so light.

Yes you are right!! As for Hondas, 90% parts are US market wins + our OZ are at best now. Best cam for F-Series motor is Bisimoto's/webcam and I swear by their performance (check out their 9.4sec all motor F22A). About 80% inside my F22B1 are Bisimoto/Arias parts and I never looked back or question them, they are just excellent.

Modification are at your own level/budget. Most common are:

1. Headers (Bisimoto again ftw)
2. Intake
3. Straight Exhaust
4. Level 1 or 2 Cam
5. Adjustable Cam Gear
6. Pro Valve Spring and Retainer (because you need to rev higher to giddy up that new cam)
7. Lightened Flywheel
8. Better clutch
9. ECU (crome/ectune/neptune/hondata etc) that can adjust fuel and ignition timing

Then you get hard core bits:

1. Forced Induction
2. For all motor - High comp piston, aluminium conrod, Major Head Work

And the list go on. Also, you WILL NEVER get the vtec engagement bbbWAAAHH from SOHC comparable to DOHC no matter what you do. DOHC vtec + Bigger Cam = Very Aggressive VTEC.

Also, is there a LSD to fit? Say from a typre R accord? Was one made? Do people weld their diffs?

Stupid but, this is FWD, if you weld your diff....hahahahahahhaa guess won't be hearing from you anymore. Yes there are plenty of aftermarket lsd on the market; MFactory (I prefer and use), Quife, Kaaz, Spoon and the list goes on between clutch type and helical type. Any diff from H22A (prelude) tranny can be bolted on the F22 tranny, but not the final drive.

Yeah, eventhough it is wrong wheel drive. Any good modification (anti-rice) are very unique, so it won't be like any commonhore, skyline and silvia's on the road.

Jarkz
16-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Agree with the above apart from a 94 VTi weighing 1380kg?

My 95 VTi weighs in between 1280-1300kg...

your thinking of later VTi-S with leather etc, they may weigh 1380kg

Robert@bisimoto: does bisimoto make cat back's for the VTi?

northerly
17-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Yeh I posted this in the noob section cos I know sweet **** all about hondas as you can tell.

FYI redbook lists the 94 Acord VTI at 1305kg kerb weight, falcon is more 1500-1600 so it is a fair difference.

Robert/Bisimoto: Had a look at your site, have a few questions.

Are your cams billet or regrinds?

If regrinds is it as simple as additional shims to fit?

What gains can I expect from your mild/moderate street cam? Lumpy at idle? Runs smoothly? Fatory computer? Requires upgraded valve springs? Vernier gear?

Pretty much want a cam that lets me do all the daily driving as per a normal accord but say from 4k and up kicks in when I feel the need for a squirt.. Also any dramatic effect on economy in normal driving situations? (say shifting at 2500 or so..)

Thanks for your help. And yeh, I have no intentions of building an all motor monster, just some affordable fun.. intake/zorst/cam and thats about it, suspension if I can find it cheap enough too.

northerly
17-12-2009, 12:05 AM
forgot to ask... where to go in Sydney wh knows their stuff about Hondas? Prefer a smaller workshop who cares rather than say Bel who just churn it out.. Thanks!

northerly
17-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Didn't see your 'next' page on the f22 cams part of your site, so please ignore above comments..

Could you tell me more about your stage 2, in particular how it differs from stage 1? Main thing is that you guys recommend valve springs for the stage 2, from previous experience this is a bit of a hassle to install =$$, also your site says $179 single spring only, is that a typo and $179 a set or more?

Cheers

kccord
21-12-2009, 01:59 AM
Man, my vti-s was weightbridged at 1340Kg with no spare tyre and back seats off. But all the turbo systems adds ~60 Pounds of weight.

It is recommended that you upgrade the springs because you will definately rev higher to optimise the power of these cams. Yes the cost money but If you're the handy man, it shouldn't be a problem. You need a tuning gear and tune with those cams. The springs come in set of 16.

I think robert@bisimoto is the same robert@turbonetics. Both from simi valley + turbonetics are sponsoring/ bisimoto is a dealer.