PDA

View Full Version : driveshaft

henrygiang
16-12-2009, 01:11 PM
just a quick question.... should a driveshaft have any lateral movement at all?or should it be completely firm?

thanks guys

EK1.6LCIV
16-12-2009, 01:20 PM
how much play is present? and condition of the car (kilometers), have the boots been torn before and left for a long time before putting new ones on?

henrygiang
16-12-2009, 01:23 PM
how much play is present? and condition of the car (kilometers), have the boots been torn before and left for a long time before putting new ones on?

will post a video but got driveshafts repaced on 28\11\08 with brand new ones

EK1.6LCIV
16-12-2009, 01:25 PM
brand new oem ones? ballin' :)

I got mine done on my vti around july, with HK oem replacements (Honda does renew them at this mob in Australia if you had them rebuilt at Honda) was around $380 for new ones fitted

I had a bit of play on my passenger side before I replaced them, haven't checked when they put new ones in, will varify

string
16-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Which direction is lateral?? Should be no play when rotating them, but have plenty of give in and out.

EK1.6LCIV
16-12-2009, 02:24 PM
he means play in the x axis <------>

string
16-12-2009, 02:38 PM
The x-axis is whatever you define to be the x-axis; a lack of definition is my complaint. When using your horizontal axis on the screen, should I orient the driveshaft lengthways vertically or horizontally?

EK1.6LCIV
16-12-2009, 02:41 PM
y is generally up and down
x is generally across horizonal planes

he's referring to the lateral is a sideways movement

string
16-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Up and down, like sideways and lateral, are all relative terms. Depending on how you are holding the drive-shaft, sideways could mean 3* different things

Suffice to say, I'm still unsatisfied, yet probably gave the answer in post#7.

(*) ignoring non-orthogonal orientations.

EK1.6LCIV
16-12-2009, 03:15 PM
have you ever used a globe?

where is the lateral plane?

answer :)

http://www.geographyalltheway.com/ks3_geography/maps_atlases/imagesetc/latitudelongitude.jpg

string
16-12-2009, 03:39 PM
A perfect example of two well defined and understood axes. The concept of a globe and it's axis system does not apply to a driveshaft.

Do you have any references to a standard driveshaft axis system? Answer: No.

.: Orthogonal axis vectors have fixed orientation only relative to each other (i.e. X and Y axis). Until you fix the origin of this new XY space to a point on your object (driveshaft) and determine the angle of orientation of the space relative to the object, the axes are useless, and completely ambiguous in describing lines on the object plane (or planes on in the object volume if we are in 3 dimensions).

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/6485/axesb.gif

There are an infinite number of possible orientations that the OP did not intend, but failed to rule out.

EK1.6LCIV
16-12-2009, 03:44 PM
there should be no Y & Z involved only X in a single plane

string
16-12-2009, 03:47 PM
No one is talking about Z, and a plane has two dimensions. With only a single variable, you're describing a line. A line which is completely arbitrary until you give a point that it lies on, and a slope (i.e. fixing the axes to the object).

EK1.6LCIV
16-12-2009, 03:55 PM
where it connects to the housing is where x and y would be determined, nearly a correct diagram

string
16-12-2009, 03:59 PM
where it connects to the housing is where x and y would be determined
You're still making non-specific statements. Is "where it connects to the housing" the origin of the XY-space or some other point? Which axis is aligned with shaft of the drive-shaft, X or Y, or a combination of both?

EK1.6LCIV
16-12-2009, 04:00 PM
a very vulgar diagram but it will help explain

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd1/Alfons_photos/Tech%20Data/degreecv.jpg

string
16-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Are you reading what I'm saying?

Your vulgar diagram explains nothing about how the axes are aligned with the drive-shaft. The only part of this thread which does, is my ms-paint diagram.

EK1.6LCIV
16-12-2009, 04:03 PM
it shows the connection with the trans casing is where the plane is determined

string
16-12-2009, 04:06 PM
No, it simply shows where the connection is.

The axes are up to you to further define, especially if you plan on refering to them to describe orientation or location in the object space. Refer to my diagram which shows two out of an infinite number of possible axis orientations.

BTW, a plane can be defined by three points, not one. One point defines... a point!

mocchi
16-12-2009, 05:09 PM
far out bitches. you guys so fkn smart huh? so defensive.
henry: string has a point though, which side are you looking it at?
from the front of car (not timing belt side definition) or from the side (when you take out the knuckle and looking at the dshaft)?

lithium
16-12-2009, 05:25 PM
yup string has a point, though dude: i'm sure you know you don't need to shove yr 9 coordinate geometry and definitions of mathematical objects in our faces to get your meaning across. some of us also like maths yet seem to be able to communicate without smacking other people down because they haven't supplied the minimum number of points needed to uniquely define a plane.

unlike maths the english language is not based on well defined axioms with all properties grown from there. and the interwebz is not so easily impressed :D

as asked above to OP: when looking down the driveshaft at your gearbox, do you mean you can push the driveshaft in and out, or you can wiggle it side to side?

string
16-12-2009, 09:06 PM
If you think there was enough information given in the OP, then you're probably not qualified to give a useful answer.

If a discussion of year 9 coordinate geometry threatens you enough to attempt the "interwebz is not so easily impressed" diffusion then perhaps your ego is too weak for a discussion forum.

A mathematical tangent is one thing... Commenting on my motives for posting benefits who exactly?

EK1.6LCIV
17-12-2009, 08:21 AM
where was the movement topic starter?

lithium
17-12-2009, 09:31 AM
If you think there was enough information given in the OP, then you're probably not qualified to give a useful answer.

If a discussion of year 9 coordinate geometry threatens you enough to attempt the "interwebz is not so easily impressed" diffusion then perhaps your ego is too weak for a discussion forum.

sorry mate - i probably came across a bit snappy yesterday. there is not enough infomation given by the OP obviously.

A mathematical tangent is one thing... Commenting on my motives for posting benefits who exactly?

well, to be honest i just found it a bit tedious. i don't see how a big rant about definitions in coordinate geometry helps the OP figure out whether his driveshaft is messed up. a simple sentence asking for clarification would have been enough :thumbsup:

henrygiang
18-12-2009, 12:49 AM
far out bitches. you guys so fkn smart huh? so defensive.
henry: string has a point though, which side are you looking it at?
from the front of car (not timing belt side definition) or from the side (when you take out the knuckle and looking at the dshaft)?

from the front lol

calm down guys haha ...it only moves about 2mm or so

sorry about not being clear