PDA

View Full Version : The cause of all my problems......

wynode
27-11-2004, 01:15 PM
So i've had to take the gearbox out to change my input shaft bearing becuase it was noisey. However after opening it up I found out why it has worn out so quickly.......if you look a the pic.......the shielded side is up.....when it should be down in order to lubricate the bearing.

I had my gearbox rebuilt around 2-3 years ago and I think it was during then that the people who did it put the bearing in upside down.

Oh well well.........nothing you can do about it now.

Here's how it looked......and how it SHOULD look (lower / blurry image and it is the bearing on the left)

Weq
27-11-2004, 04:15 PM
gimps
looks like ur going good ! :)

Chi
27-11-2004, 04:37 PM
LOL, Wyn so u now have an excuse why u lost ot a dc5 :D

karbonphyber
27-11-2004, 09:07 PM
So i've had to take the gearbox out to change my input shaft bearing becuase it
oh horrid people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ECU-MAN
27-11-2004, 11:23 PM
good stuff Wyn.

wynode
28-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Well the box is put back together and goes through all the gears fine. Just waiting for someone to help me raise it up and bolt it in :)

karbonphyber
28-11-2004, 07:10 PM
can i do car stuff with u? heheh track track track!

wynode
11-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Just an update.

I've been doing some reading and speaking to people about the correct mounting of the ISB. The plastic retainer is actually meant to be mounted facing up as that's how it comes from factory (despite the manual saying to mount it facing downwards).

This thread is a good one:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13837&page=2

http://members.optusnet.com.au/wynode/isb1.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/wynode/isb2.jpg

Ok, these picts clearly show the polymide retainer (brown plastic). There is no shield. The retainer is sort of "C" shaped with one side being more open.
I gotta tell you guys, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to install this bearing. It's more personal preference.
While in theory you could say that the shield would block lub in a "oil splash" application, I would bet that this bearing is actually sitting low enough in the housing to be actually sitting in the lub. If this is the case it matters not which way the retainer is installed. If anything the retainer would act as a "water wheel" and carry lub up and around so the "lip" would be better installed "in".
Again, there is no "right" or "wrong" way here. Just do it the way YOU want to do it.

Getting to the original point, the direction that this was installed had little to do with the bearing failure.
Things to look for ...
1) "Spinning" marks on the ID or OD of the bearing. This would signify that the shaft or housing fits are off and the races are spinning on the shaft/housing.
2) Discoloration of the balls/races. First sign of lub problems. Ball will overheat and turn bluish/purple.
3) Look for pits/marks on the balls or in the ball paths. This would mean dirt or simple fatigue failure...or electric arching. Arching can be caused by welding and placing the clamps where the current actually passes through the tranny, thus through the bearings.

bennjamin
11-12-2004, 02:03 PM
ALOT of confusion here guys....thankfully it dosent really matter as the lubricatn ( oil) can get inside either way...silly honda manual !

wynode
11-12-2004, 02:09 PM
THank god cause I wouldn't wanna have to crack that tranny open again! ;)

jords
11-12-2004, 03:24 PM
You what?? Want to have a crack at a tranny again...hehehe, just kidding, cool DIY win.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: