PDA

View Full Version : backfire problems

monda2
16-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Hey All

So my B16A (standard honda ECU) has recently been wired up and has been running but quite badly, it has no muffler or cat, only extractors and pipe, it idles fine but as soon as you step on the loud pedal it backfires and does not rev. - timing has been set and ok. - could this be because there is basically no back pressure in the exhaust?

Checked the fuel pressure with a pressure gauge inline where the fuel filter is, this fixed the problem - engine ran fine with gauge still connected, thought fuel line may have had air in it?? once pressure gauge removed it was backfiring again!!

is this overfueling?

iams stuck with ideas!

any help appreciated cheers

Limbo
16-12-2009, 09:24 PM
no its cos you have no cat or muffler.
The cat filters alot of fuel and unburnt crap & the muffler reduces the noise.

Cos you don't have both you got alot of unburnt fuel running in the pipes thus backfire

not revving is a different matter

jdm18c
16-12-2009, 09:49 PM
did you touch any wireing on the motor?

VT3C
16-12-2009, 10:07 PM
TPS is fkd or needs to be re-set.. search FTW that's my2c

monda2
21-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Cheers, i have fitted a cat and muffler now but still getting the same symptoms, well i can rev it slowly but if i give it a quick jab on the throttle it will not rev and backfire slightly, no codes, will chkd TPS

SuiJin
21-12-2009, 07:39 PM
might be the exhaust itself. what are you running. also where in melb are u

OMG.JAI xD
21-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Mechanical timing is out.

B18cEG
26-12-2009, 02:28 AM
correct, you may have skipped a tooth on one of the cam gears or the cam gears are aligned but the crank side has skipped a tooth, this is what i think the problem will be, deff nothing to do with exhaust. also did u do a code check?