PDA

View Full Version : S2k Greddy Turbo not working all the time??!

EK4R
18-12-2009, 05:19 AM
Hey guys

recently friend and i encountered a problem with project car.

its a s2000 with the greddy bolt on kit. Anyways the car is tuned and previously running fine.

Problem is , lately its relucant to pull ? it would continuously spool and pull then back off and pull again. Asif the torque just dropped.

Funny thing is, after a long cruise on the freeway without much hard driving, the car would pull constantly like new.

hmmms im stumped?

Perry
18-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Checked all the pipings or could be ECU playing up?

lil_foy
18-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Make sure he has oil etc.
Seems like his vtec may be disengaging or even his wastegate is sticking open.

Latino CRX
18-12-2009, 07:05 PM
what about fuel pressure ???

the boost pressure mite be startin to get to much for the fuel pump or regulator ...

hisoka
18-12-2009, 07:13 PM
is it internally gated or externally gated.

as said sounds like the waste gate is getting stuck open.

what boost reading is he getting when the power cuts out, what psi is it reading

VTi_b0i
18-12-2009, 07:17 PM
could be the hot weather :p
my car feels like a nugget when its hot...feels like its dropped like 30kw haha

EK4R
18-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Make sure he has oil etc.
Seems like his vtec may be disengaging or even his wastegate is sticking open.

il double check oil tonight, Vtec has been raised to 7400 due to greddy turbo is too small for to keep up with vtec and it drops in power if vtec is opened too early.

what about fuel pressure ???

the boost pressure mite be startin to get to much for the fuel pump or regulator ...

fuel pressure is around 6-7bar ? the car idles dead on 3bar , during curisng its around 6-7 also. never drops. most slightly up and down

is it internally gated or externally gated.

as said sounds like the waste gate is getting stuck open.

what boost reading is he getting when the power cuts out, what psi is it reading

i think its internal. how do you check if waste gate is stuck open. Cause it works perfectly fine sometimes :S

as for boost, well the guage he had installed i believe it was not going above 6psi.

Lukezen27
18-12-2009, 09:59 PM
could be the hot weather :p
my car feels like a nugget when its hot...feels like its dropped like 30kw haha

As Christian said :o

Hot weather makes boosted cars feel weird power wise

lil_foy
19-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Make sure boost isnt dropping when it seems to back off and come back.

EK4R
20-12-2009, 03:41 AM
Make sure boost isnt dropping when it seems to back off and come back.

nope its constant. its just at 6psi but i feel no pull just the spooling sound LOL

also we find something interesting today.

when the car first starts, it would turbo perfectly. hard pull at 6psi. after about 30mins or so. the car doesnt respond as well. maybe heat? i dont know.

when you floor it, you feel a sudden resistance. you just hear the spool but no pull. werid as?!

lil_foy
20-12-2009, 03:11 PM
nope its constant. its just at 6psi but i feel no pull just the spooling sound LOL

also we find something interesting today.

when the car first starts, it would turbo perfectly. hard pull at 6psi. after about 30mins or so. the car doesnt respond as well. maybe heat? i dont know.

when you floor it, you feel a sudden resistance. you just hear the spool but no pull. werid as?!

Go get it on a dyno, it could be getting hot and knocking so the computer is going into safe mode maybe?

EK4R
20-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Go get it on a dyno, it could be getting hot and knocking so the computer is going into safe mode maybe?

yeah xmas period isnt helping will have to wait till i come back.

after further examining, the car drives fine at the start. but after 15mins or so you hear this Humming noise. and this is when the turbo starts acting werid.

noise increase relative to rpm....

no idea:confused:

Limbo
21-12-2009, 01:05 AM
is the humming noise coming from the fan?
are you using the g-reddy ecu or something else?

EK4R
21-12-2009, 11:43 AM
is the humming noise coming from the fan?
are you using the g-reddy ecu or something else?

its a ultimate e-mannager

which fan you refering to? the noise gets bigger as the rpm goes up, and vise versa.

lil_foy
21-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Can you get a video at all?
Has timing been advanced at all?

EK4R
21-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Can you get a video at all?
Has timing been advanced at all?

ill grab an video if i can and a dyno

think il get a retune and have someone look at it when I come back from overseas.

crx_boy7
26-12-2009, 12:29 AM
id also guess the stock ecu is retarding the engine, E-ultimate has a live feed so plug a laptop on it and watch for signal iregularities, also dose the boost stay constant? and dose the tune change wen it heats up?, ie did yu install a coldstart setting on the e-manage, as it has this

EK4R
26-12-2009, 02:27 AM
id also guess the stock ecu is retarding the engine, E-ultimate has a live feed so plug a laptop on it and watch for signal iregularities, also dose the boost stay constant? and dose the tune change wen it heats up?, ie did yu install a coldstart setting on the e-manage, as it has this

can you further explain the cold start?

cause lately my friend has been saying the car drives perfectly fine from a cold start or first drive of the day if left overnight. But the problem would be come back. ie if you park and start the car again, and drive for 15mins andthe problem would arise.

Limbo
26-12-2009, 01:13 PM
cold start is the ECU compensating for the cold by adding more fuel.

It sounds like the car might be running lean and the ECU going in limp mode.

The only real way to diagnoise this is to put it up on the dyno and see the readings or do a road tune

lil_foy
26-12-2009, 02:41 PM
cold start is the ECU compensating for the cold by adding more fuel.

It sounds like the car might be running lean and the ECU going in limp mode.

The only real way to diagnoise this is to put it up on the dyno and see the readings or do a road tune

Exactly my thoughts.

Go to a dyno and get your a/f and check for knock.

B18cEG
26-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Just t let you know about the power/vtec issue with power drop, wat has been done in your case is vtec point raised so high it barely has effect. Im not sure about your specific tune or watever but with turbo vtec cars not just any tuner knows how t tune them like a honda familiar tuner (obviously) anyway at the point of engagement proper tuning and boost setup should be applied, ANYWAYSSSSS thats all. im sure you know already