PDA

View Full Version : Un-lucky week for me all around

Mr EG
18-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Been getting no luck all this week,

Today at some parking place the car ahead of me was parked so close, and the car behind parked so close. Couldn't get out of parking and then next thing you know it my car rolls back too far hitting the car behind me, my bumper got damaged, the paint chipped and can peel it off, why is this? Is it because the bumper is plastic and paint can get damaged easily? Do I need a new bumper? Or I can sand all my bumper and paint it?

:(

kcokla
18-12-2009, 05:30 PM
sand it all back and spray it..

Mr EG
18-12-2009, 05:54 PM
sand it all back and spray it..

The whole bumper or just the part it peeled off? - Anyways anyone got a DIY on how to spray bumpers and how to sand it properly etc?

kcokla
18-12-2009, 05:57 PM
if your experienced, you could sand back a small amoutn of that area where its pelled or cracked, and ifyour paint is in good condition alraedy you can just use thepaint code and respray that particular area,
however if its faded and u dont think you can match it, get a panel beater.

alternatively, you can just sand the entire thing back and spray it too, that way thecolor will be the same.

Mr EG
18-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the good info there, guess I have to sand all of my bumper then spray it, just wondering will it match the colour of my car though if I spray it the same paint code. Guess this would be a good time to colour code my car too.

Anyone have a DIY on sanding? I know there is alot involve this wet, dry crap, and DIY for painting? Thanks!

BTW I'm capped can't really search it up.

kcokla
19-12-2009, 03:12 AM
your best bet is to pm tiksie, he's a pro at this
but in a nut shell, sand with some high grit sand paper and work your way downwards

wet sanding is towards theend of the sanding process and the painting process.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
19-12-2009, 03:53 AM
Welcome to 2009

Reloaded
19-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Welcome to 2009

well said

lithium
20-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the good info there, guess I have to sand all of my bumper then spray it, just wondering will it match the colour of my car though if I spray it the same paint code.

generally speaking, it won't match the colour of your car. you'll have to blend the layers into the old paint. your skill and your equipment will entirely determine how good it looks when done :)

i've done it once before to the corner of a bumper using that rattle can stuff you can buy from autobarn with a rattle can clear coat on top. it turned out ok, it was shiny enough - but in bright sunlight once you got to about 2/3 metres away you could tell the colour was slightly different and it had been blended in.

if you want your car to look like new take it to a pro :thumbsup:

lithium
20-12-2009, 09:32 AM
just to add: if you're intent on doing it yourself - don't sand down your whole bumper and respray it. if you do that it'll be really really obvious the whole bumper is a different colour to the body.

sand back only the part of the bumper that has been damaged, then spray coats on. the first coat goes only around the damaged part, the next coat over the first coat but a bit wider, next coat over the second coat but a bit wider again, and so on. this way you'll blend the colours in so your resprayed area looks the same as the rest of the bumper :)

Mr EG
24-12-2009, 10:53 PM
just to add: if you're intent on doing it yourself - don't sand down your whole bumper and respray it. if you do that it'll be really really obvious the whole bumper is a different colour to the body.

Yeh but the paint is cracked you know what I mean, if I only spray part of it chances old paint could peel later? Wouldn't it be better to just sand all the bumper and re-spray the whole bumper?