PDA

View Full Version : I finally found an R, but still not 100% on it

Vestri
18-12-2009, 05:57 PM
G'day guys, I just thought I'd pick all your brains after reading several posts. I'll try not to ask questions you think you already answered though.

I've been looking to get a Ford Focus XR5 and I am about to negotiate a price for one after Christmas. However, when Honda told me a few weeks ago that there were no more 2009 Civic Type R's in Australia anymore, I jsut let it go as a descision.

Now, jsut yesterday I got a call from a local Honda dealership that they have a Black Civic for me, ready to go for me.

Now, I can get a Honda with Mats, illuminated skuff plates, and chrome fuel lid for about $44,000. But the XR5 I got quoted was $43,000 for a car that has a turbo, much more torque, leather recaro's, mats, pearl paint, bluetooth, and voice control (plus other toys that come standard that are aditional for the Type R.)

Now my easy choice (because there are no Civics being sold anymore) has jsut gotten harder. What do you Honda enthusists think of my options? To be honest, I really dont want to spend more than 42 grand, but I have already gone over my budget on both cars.

jeffreymui
18-12-2009, 06:04 PM
i'd say XR5, u'll love it:) no offence to all fn2r owners, but xr5 is quicker and u'll enjoy it more:P if u want a honest answer i'd say xr5 or if u want from a honda enthusist, i'd say honda:P

curtis265
18-12-2009, 07:01 PM
I say go the XR5 in orange =]

honda's non-turbo attitude needs to go.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
18-12-2009, 07:06 PM
I look at both and say.....Drive Both

burak213
18-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Get the Type R, why?

styling is better
handling murders the xr5 hands down
interior - are you serious? interior makes me jizz
fuel saving - drive it properly and you wont need another loan for the petrol
easier to service - no turbo and reliability of Honda make this a plus
vtec - brapppppppppppp

Not going to even talk bout the ford, its a FORD remember the AU falcons yeah that. lol you want to drive a FORD? wut?

lol a FORD what the hell are you thinking dude? haha

jeffreymui
18-12-2009, 07:17 PM
yea curtis xr5 orange!!

Latino CRX
18-12-2009, 07:18 PM
yeh defintly drive both,

i like the xr5's but at the end of it all and comes down to it to me its still a FORD ..
no matter how much more power its got or wat it comes with it will always be a Euro style FORD ..

good luck on wat ever u go along with either way have fun in both.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
18-12-2009, 07:19 PM

Best argument, won't even talk about Mums FORD territory..

curtis265
18-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Despite it being a FORD, i still like it. I like mustangs, i like GT40's.

insanelin
18-12-2009, 08:52 PM
sorry to ask a question off topic...if honda dealers says no more civic type r will be sold in aussie...does that mean we can now import the JDM type r here?

cheers

muzukashi
18-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Get the Type R, why?

styling is better
handling murders the xr5 hands down
interior - are you serious? interior makes me jizz
fuel saving - drive it properly and you wont need another loan for the petrol
easier to service - no turbo and reliability of Honda make this a plus
vtec - brapppppppppppp

Not going to even talk bout the ford, its a FORD remember the AU falcons yeah that. lol you want to drive a FORD? wut?

LOL x2 agreee oh come on a ford? rather have a 20k honda then a 40k ford but thats me :)

DreadAngel
18-12-2009, 09:29 PM
^^^

No, we still sell the FD Sedans so no FD2Rs still...

Ford Europe is nice fellas, the new Mondeo, Focus and Fiesta are quite nice for what they are.

Burak, since when has the FN2R outhandled the Focus XR5? Its the other way around man =|

xntrik
18-12-2009, 09:36 PM
I'd get the XR5.
cause hondas are slow.

But due to depreciation on cars, maybe the FN2R.

Since Fords, and Holdens make new models like every year.
Hondas not as often.

Argh.. still the XR5 lol

Philip Lee
18-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Xr5 for me too but have u consider other choice like GTI and WRX?

WATAJK
18-12-2009, 10:28 PM
My brother has an XR5 Turbo..
He goes it goes hard but tbh i can keep up with him in my DC5R just with some basic mods..
But it depends what your after..
High maintence = XR5 Turbo
One cause it's turbo but also if you have an accident, you'll be waiting alot longer on parts then what you will be on your civic (as it's a European made car)

Honda
Reliable as long as services are done on time
Fuel consumption is good as others have said
Handling ++++
It's a Honda, need i say more?

I have a ford laser (nothing to a focus) but like a ford... just the name, everyone drives one... Lether recaros from my brothers XR5T to my DC5R don't compare and he can admit it..
Cloth recaros are fkn 10x better.

Thats my 2cents

SiReal
18-12-2009, 11:38 PM
I'd get the XR5.
cause hondas are slow.

so true. :thumbsup:

Latino CRX
18-12-2009, 11:53 PM
i say R35 GTR ;)

ej20i
18-12-2009, 11:54 PM
id test drive both but then again as to what everyone has been saying
its a FORD!
but if u did get the Xr, as curtis mention
ORANGE!!!
BOO YEA!!!
but honestly FWD turbo - burning rubber

id get a civic in the basis of
n/a cheaper to run
jap car, easier and cheaper to mod
vtec
and its a HONDUUUUHHHHHHh will last u forever
but have u considered GTI?MPS?WRX?Lancer ralli art?

Brian FD2R
19-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Its a no brainer XR5 is far better than a FN2 in terms of performance and build quality

Latino CRX
19-12-2009, 12:27 AM
the VW R32 GOLF's are fkn quick as try lookin into one of those

Vestri
19-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. My descision is still difficult at the moment, and Im sitting here mulling over the small bits now.

Unfortuneately, the stupid descision to no no longer import Civics Type R's from Europe in 2010 because Honda Europe will not make a profit (our exchange rate is so high they wont) is hurting them.... thats one of the reasons I jsut ditched the R for the XR5. HOWEVER, one savy dealer in Canberra said he can get one for me in January cause Honda Euro still allocates about a dozen to Australia in 2010... so they are trickling through, maybe as a "lets see if we can still make some money" experiment.

I've driven both, so these are the issues I have with both cars.

Honda:
- Its a bit cramped evan as a small asian dude, I still think that a bit of luxury rather than "I feel like Im in a race car" would be nicer. But damn the seats are nice.
- WTF is up with the seats? I fold it and it doesnt go back to where it was before
- It crawls at low RPM, only lurches forward after 4000-5000 RPM (I wont be doing this on normal roads and this will end up hurting my fuel if I want to make the most of it.) In other words, it doesnt feel like an R unless I wanna break the law. (But then, maybe thats a plus? Vtec jsut kicked in yo!)
- I hope the person that put the Spoiler there was fired.
- Not enough toys like voice control, bluetooth, ipod connection all comes standard.
- I wish it was a 5 star safety rating
- It doesnt have enough torque

Ford:
- Theres no left footrest... ouch. I drive sydney to canberra then back about 6 times a year. The XR5 is a nice cruiser, but my poor left foot :(
- No cruise control... its $900 for a dealer fitted aftermarket system, but Im not 100% sure about how reliable it is and how safe.
- Rear seats dont fold all the way down.
- Its a 5 Door.... I know its stupid, but, I was hoping to get a car that looked like a fast car, not a fast car that KINDA looks like a fast car ... but then again, it will be useful for taking my mates out for a spin.
- the Orange paint option is $1800 ontop of the car making it more expensive than the Honda.
- Interior is boring, other than the faux carbon fibre look, although I can buy little LED lights I can install in the footwells to liven things up at night.

Ok, in other words, I wish I had the Honda interor and exteror styling with the Ford (Its actually a Volvo) engine with the value and safety of a ford. *cry* stupid honda dealer, why did he have to be so savvy?

LOL, cheers eveyone.... if anyone has any opinions Id LOVE to hear them. I know some of these niggles I have are small, but they are significant enough for me to notice because Im seriously wanting to buy both cars. But the first thing I'll do if I buy the honda is smash that damn spoiler off the back with a sledgehammer.

Lucas
19-12-2009, 08:34 AM
My advice: test drive every single sport car around the 40k mark .. including the WRX, GTI, Ralliart.. You'll be able to tell when you found the one, because you wont wanna leave the dealership without it :)

JZ45HO
19-12-2009, 10:04 AM
my advice: buy my car.. hehe

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124914

Vestri
19-12-2009, 10:43 AM
My advice: test drive every single sport car around the 40k mark .. including the WRX, GTI, Ralliart.. You'll be able to tell when you found the one, because you wont wanna leave the dealership without it :)

Yea, I tried the GTI, love the car, hate the looks and its WAAAYY out of my price range.

The Ralliart I wont go near cause I alrady have an Lancer ES 2006 and its a nice car, but Im having so much issues witht he gear box.

WRX.... I will only look at the STI unfortunately, its soooooo sexy and I cant afford it :(

WATAJK
19-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Yea, I tried the GTI, love the car, hate the looks and its WAAAYY out of my price range.

The Ralliart I wont go near cause I alrady have an Lancer ES 2006 and its a nice car, but Im having so much issues witht he gear box.

WRX.... I will only look at the STI unfortunately, its soooooo sexy and I cant afford it :(

The new Hatch STI and scoop is FKN SEXY!!!!
70 grand though is fkn alot >.> (isn't it?)

Why not try look into a older car or you after new??
I know someone who has a LIMITED EDITION 1999 2DR WRX STI (400 released in Aus), **** all KMS on it.. Purely Genuine KM's. (not a 22b)
He's a tiler so you can guess he has no time to drive it lol...
Its immaculate..

It's your call at end of the day, but preferably i'd still say go for a Honda man!

Catcha
19-12-2009, 05:24 PM

So you like Subaru's but not willing a get a wrx which will walk over both of your first choices of a XR5 and Type R....

Vestri
19-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Sorry WATAJK, Im looking for something new. But I really appreciate the offer.

Its really down to the Honda and the Ford.

If there is an undisputable reason to go for the honda, I would. But I dont see any. I personally think the Ford Engine, value, safety, and the toys are much better. But The only thing I love about the honday is the Street cred of an R, the Styleing (damn I love the style of the interior) and that it has cruise control.

I jsut dont know >< its so not fair.... stupid choice. It should be easier lol

Vestri
19-12-2009, 05:33 PM
So you like Subaru's but not willing a get a wrx which will walk over both of your first choices of a XR5 and Type R....

Well, I said It looked sexy and the STI is the only WRX I'd look at. Other than that, I never said I liked it, and even stock standard with onroads, its already hitting my max budget (its $44,160 I got quoted) So for the money its just the engine, and TBH, I want reliable, not fast.

Also, I dont see value in the normal WRX. Its so devoid of anyhting in the cockpit that Im not sure what Im really paying for. Unless you can tell me. I know ver little about Imprezzas

Catcha
19-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Well, I said It looked sexy and the STI is the only WRX I'd look at. Other than that, I never said I liked it, and even stock standard with onroads, its already hitting my max budget (its $44,160 I got quoted) So for the money its just the engine, and TBH, I want reliable, not fast.

Also, I dont see value in the normal WRX. Its so devoid of anyhting in the cockpit that Im not sure what Im really paying for. Unless you can tell me. I know ver little about Imprezzas

I'm going to try and keep this brief, yes STI's look much nicer than a standard WRX agree well i just saw on discount car sale site wrx $43800 driveaway and thats with room to bargain.
a wrx is just as reliable as any other car, not sure why you think otherwise, since you know so little I suggest you take one for a test drive if you know so little. but if it was between a ford XR5 and Type R , I would probably go towards a XR5, most would agree the current Type R just does not cut it like the old models

Vestri
19-12-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm going to try and keep this brief, yes STI's look much nicer than a standard WRX agree well i just saw on discount car sale site wrx $43800 driveaway and thats with room to bargain.
a wrx is just as reliable as any other car, not sure why you think otherwise, since you know so little I suggest you take one for a test drive if you know so little. but if it was between a ford XR5 and Type R , I would probably go towards a XR5, most would agree the current Type R just does not cut it like the old models

Ive never seen it that cheap before... thanks, I'll look into it. Im sure that the price I was quoted for 46K was a bit steep. but if its 43-44 then maybe I can get them to go to 44 with a few simple options. You think dealers will be upset if I quote carsales?

Catcha
19-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Ive never seen it that cheap before... thanks, I'll look into it. Im sure that the price I was quoted for 46K was a bit steep. but if its 43-44 then maybe I can get them to go to 44 with a few simple options. You think dealers will be upset if I quote carsales?

go check all the cars you want on this site and send them a inquiry on the right hand side...... driveaway prices are exactly that.....

good luck with whatever you get, but do yourself a favor and take a wrx for test drive with all the others , it certainly puts a smile on my face. A VW GTI are also great but you noted you didn't like the style

http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/

Vestri
19-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Well, the person thats doing the test driving will be my dad... I gotta make him happy first. Im 25, but I gotta keep my dad on side or I'll never hear the end of it. He used to work for ford in the Parramatta Factory back in 1989 - 97 when it closed. He was a lead Engineer and the cars we made were pretty reliable. So he will be the one to know how good a car could be.

I already drove automatic versions of these cars and I have sat in a XR5 while a mate taught me manual. Im getting better, but not confident enough to take a one for a test drive.

I've already sent inquries on the site.... man, I never knew this site existed for new cars. I only thought it was only for used.. I even found some dealer demos that I might be interested in since its less than 500kms and its cheaper than I thought.

Thanks

Philip Lee
19-12-2009, 10:15 PM
To those who

Vestri
19-12-2009, 10:35 PM
To those who

...huh?

specialst
20-12-2009, 02:46 AM
Firstly... something a master mechanic once told me
F - fix
O - or
R - repair
D - daily
and its quite true.

Honda:
- Its a bit cramped evan as a small asian dude, I still think that a bit of luxury rather
than "I feel like Im in a race car" would be nicer. But damn the seats are nice.
its not too bad quite comfy

- WTF is up with the seats? I fold it and it doesnt go back to where it was before
have they ever.....

- It crawls at low RPM, only lurches forward after 4000-5000 RPM (I wont be doing this on normal roads and this will end up hurting my fuel if I want to make the most of it.) In other words, it doesnt feel like an R unless I wanna break the law. (But then, maybe thats a plus? Vtec jsut kicked in yo!
the k20 has plenty power before vtec engages especially in normal everyday driving purposes.

- I hope the person that put the Spoiler there was fired.
its quite useful and designed for a purpose other then looking good. whilst driving at at night time i notice, the headlights of the tailing car doesnt reflect off ur rear view mirror. quite in genious design. Anyone actually know what that design serves though? honda wouldnt have stuffed it in for no reason; everything on an R is there for a GOOD reason.

- Not enough toys like voice control, bluetooth, ipod connection all comes standard.
I thought it does have bluetooth... havent bothered to look

- I wish it was a 5 star safety rating
Its a design of a type r with the concept of the track....... not a Hyundai Getz! The getz is alot cheaper but would u feel driving a hyundai.. i feel safer in a honda.

- It doesnt have enough torque
when has honda ever relied on pure torque? hondas (even non vtec ones) but especially vtec ones achieve higher power outputs and higher redlines yet still achieving maximum fuel economy and they also run cleaner then their rivals - thats honda :-)

Its alot more to a type r then what your suggesting, I understand you are looking for your idealistic car. but lets face it, any type r is an enthusiast vehicle. perhaps your not cut for a Type R afterall.

Ford:
- Theres no left footrest... ouch. I drive sydney to canberra then back about 6 times a year. The XR5 is a nice cruiser, but my poor left foot :(
poor turbo - dig deep into your pockets for fuel

- No cruise control... its $900 for a dealer fitted aftermarket system, but Im not 100% sure about how reliable it is and how safe.
back to the original acrostic poem

- Rear seats dont fold all the way down.
hondas do!

- Interior is boring, other than the faux carbon fibre look, although I can buy little LED lights I can install in the footwells to liven things up at night.
my honest thoughts is honda has always had the nicer interior compared to other names, eg toyota. compare the "celica & integra", "corrolla & civic" (recall ae82), "camry & accord"

Ok, in other words, I wish I had the Honda interor and exteror styling with the Ford (Its actually a Volvo) engine with the value and safety of a ford. *cry* stupid honda dealer, why did he have to be so savvy?
buy honda, the answer is so straight forward.

Having an FN2R in the household was also a tough decision... we test drove every other car from Mercs to BMW to Peugeot to Toyota to Nissan to Lexus and everything inbetween. Nothing satisfied more then the FN2r. For drivabilty, fuel economy, enjoyment, aesthetics, handling (dont start with the rear torsion bar argument - face it, u aint goin to a track (often if at all) and you prob aint got enough guts to corner at full speed anyways)

The elegance and spirit of a type r is really something which is unique. Turbos are exciting and give u that thrill factor... but thats about all. +RWD and its a totally different story.

No regrets getting the FN2R!

u mad?
20-12-2009, 09:22 AM
after seeing how many problems my mates have with there fords, i vote........

evo 9

WATAJK
20-12-2009, 09:33 AM
after seeing how many problems my mates have with there fords, i vote........

Evo 9

lol
evo 10!

ViVi
20-12-2009, 09:50 AM
You have to ask few questions to yourself to decide whether Ford Focus or Fn2.

1. Performance
2. Spacious
3. Interior
4. Maintenance (Most important, you wouldn't buy a car but you can't maintain it)

From the way your replied, it sound you already decided to get ford xr5 but need further comments.

Vestri
20-12-2009, 10:47 AM
You have to ask few questions to yourself to decide whether Ford Focus or Fn2.

1. Performance
2. Spacious
3. Interior
4. Maintenance (Most important, you wouldn't buy a car but you can't maintain it)

From the way your replied, it sound you already decided to get ford xr5 but need further comments.

See thats my problem, I WAS sure on the XR5. But with some of the comments here that do make sense, Im leaning toward the Honda now.

1) Performance - this is probably not the most important. The Honda is slower in a straight line, but its a very nice handeling car. Unfortunately I can buy a low kilometre 2007 type r for half the price for speed. So which ever goes faster is not important. BUT, perception of speed is important to me. The Type R has street cred, thats what I know Im buying into. Its a Honda, but its a honda thats not living up to the heritage of the R badge. So with the Focus, with the BIG turbo dial on top of the dash, the TURBO in the badge, it says its got lots of omph. so if its performance, then the 5 is my choice.

2) Spacious - The R has more space in the front, but at the sacrifice of the rear seats. so essentially its just a 2+2 set up. The ford loses a bit of foot space for rear seat space. The ford is also longer, so everyone is comfortable. Im 25 so a family is not on the list for me atm, but I do have mates and I also DO want a family someday, so as a lonjevity, the XR5 is the choice. For boot space, they both fold down. The 5 has more space but once you fold the seats down, the R can fold flat, the 5 doesnt, so the R tends to be a bit better in space.

3) Interior - Ok, this is a tricky one that is hard for me to figure out. The R looks Sexy, the ford has more toys. The ford has cloth or optional leather recaro seats, the R doesnt. Everytime I fold the chair on the R, it never goes back to where it was before and ALWAYS slides on its rails... WHY? Modern cars today dont do that anymore. The options to make the R look better are jsut too damn expensive. I wish I could get a carbon fibre look on the dash and Illuminated skuff plates just to add to that sense of rice, but the ford lets me buy coloured LED lights to attach to the floor wells so alraedy the ford is miles ahead.

4) Maintainence - well, Ive never heard maintainence issues with the XR5 nor the Type R. so Im quite sure they are quite reliable. There are a lot of XR5's in the ACT area and I've spoken to a few there and they work like normally aspirated cars. As for the Turbo, I've never owned one so Im not 100% on the maintainence on that. As for fuel, the one I drove was averaging at 7-8l/100kms on a normal drive. When I thrashed it, it was doing 10-12l/100kms. So Im pretty impressed.

So like you said Im pretty sure on the XR5 but Its jsut really hard to ignore the R. In fact, I just spoke to a Subaru dealer and a demo model hits my budget perfectly, its got more power, more torque and better cred than both cars. What I do know is that the WRX is sexier and what I love about it is that they are reliable as anything.

So when I see the subaru dealer, I might have to worry about a 3rd car. Damn

curtis265
20-12-2009, 11:56 AM
dude, you have the best way of expressing your thoughts - i'm 100% clear on how you feel about it - bet you aced yr 12 english :)

However, I think you shouldn't choose the car based on the little 'bits and pieces' because you will learn to deal with them when you have to live with it, i.e. the folding/sliding seats on the R.

You should choose the car based on the drive, the car that you feel 'at one' with, not for it's practicality - your driving a hot-hatch! They're not practical at all! and, what's stopping you from putting ur own bucket seats in the FN2? How do both cars go for aftermarket support?

mooshie
20-12-2009, 12:50 PM
is the Ford really that fast?

that seems to be your main argument for getting one but they weigh in at about 1450kg and115KW/tonne.
0-100 in 7.6 and the quarter in 15.5.

civic is 7.7 and 15.6. You really think you will notice the difference?

The Ford is a completely different car, 5 doors for a start, I think to base your decision on a split second difference is a bit silly.

lithium
20-12-2009, 01:21 PM
do the new civic type r's only run mid-15s?? :eek: i thought they were faster...you're getting smoked by commodores, falcons, aurions, 380s, magnas, V6 accords, V6 camrys, and various other family sedans at that speed

balls to the wall they might have similar straight-line speed. but the XR5 has more low-down torque, which means that in everyday driving, trickling along under 3.5k - it's faster than the type r

Vestri
20-12-2009, 06:10 PM
is the Ford really that fast?

that seems to be your main argument for getting one but they weigh in at about 1450kg and115KW/tonne.
0-100 in 7.6 and the quarter in 15.5.

civic is 7.7 and 15.6. You really think you will notice the difference?

The Ford is a completely different car, 5 doors for a start, I think to base your decision on a split second difference is a bit silly.

I understand this point. But I never worried too much about power, I did however talk a lot about torque. There is just so much more in the WRX and the XR5 and at a lower RPM (4000 on the WRX and 1600-4000 on the XR5)

What I was trying to say is that the Ford feels like its going much more faster, whereas the R is just as fast but I never really felt anything.

In any case, power wasnt anything important to me, I made this very clear. But I do appretiate the turbo in the ford and the WRX, and I like the feel of the surge in the ford. I test drove both already and whilst the Honda is cool, I just wish it had more torque, thats all Im saying.

tOniies
20-12-2009, 06:13 PM
FORD stands for Found On Road Dead

Catcha
20-12-2009, 06:55 PM
I think we have a clear winner here WRX 2009 0-100 5.8 sec

MOTOR magazine today announced the Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive Impreza WRX has won Subaru’s fifth Bang For Your Bucks performance car title.

The ultimate test of the best performance cars on sale in Australia saw the Model Year 2009 Impreza WRX triumph against some expensive heavy metal and key competitors.

MOTOR says: “Proof that the writing was on the wall is that the WRX was more than half a second quicker to 100 km/h than anything else in this year’s BFYB.”

It adds: “The 2.5 litre boxer feels lustier than any WRX in recent memory. It spools up boost hard and early, delivering a thick 343 Nm of torque right where you need it. No peaks, no troughs, no dramas.”

qstoria
20-12-2009, 07:27 PM
my advice: buy my car.. hehe

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124914

how about saving yourself 9 grand and buying this dudes car..

Honda are retarded when it comes to new cars now. the k20a engine is one of their best motors, they just havn't put it in the right car.

drsilliez
20-12-2009, 07:39 PM
how abt a mazda 3 mps! mps>fn2r/xr5 anyday!!!

40-45k price bracket too..

Sherweeeny
20-12-2009, 07:47 PM
i didnt bother reading through the entire thread, as i saw noobs comparing the XR5 to australian made fords such as falcons and territorys, which are absolutely miles apart in every sense. then i also spotted someone tell you that if you were to crash, the parts would take longer to come for the ford as its european made... this was yet another fail comment as so is the FN2.

no offence, but asking this question on a honda forum is probably one of the dumbest things you can do. people on forums are really narrow-minded towards their own brand of car, and to them, everything else is shit.

imo, both cars are great, and are very similar in many ways, however the edge that the turbo has is enough to make it the better car to me. this however could be a personal preference and performance may not be much of an issue to you, in which id still say the ford because it is actually more refined and comfortable than the type r, but im guessing you already knew this too.

see if you can take both for extended test drives, drive the routes you would drive on a day to day basis, at the times in which you would do it, and see which one better tends to your needs.

good luck mate, but at the end of the day, they are both great cars and you cant really go wrong!

burak213
20-12-2009, 08:15 PM
however the edge that the turbo has is enough to make it the better car to me.

:thumbdwn:

poor.

Vestri
20-12-2009, 08:45 PM
i didnt bother reading through the entire thread, as i saw noobs comparing the XR5 to australian made fords such as falcons and territorys, which are absolutely miles apart in every sense. then i also spotted someone tell you that if you were to crash, the parts would take longer to come for the ford as its european made... this was yet another fail comment as so is the FN2.

no offence, but asking this question on a honda forum is probably one of the dumbest things you can do. people on forums are really narrow-minded towards their own brand of car, and to them, everything else is shit.

imo, both cars are great, and are very similar in many ways, however the edge that the turbo has is enough to make it the better car to me. this however could be a personal preference and performance may not be much of an issue to you, in which id still say the ford because it is actually more refined and comfortable than the type r, but im guessing you already knew this too.

see if you can take both for extended test drives, drive the routes you would drive on a day to day basis, at the times in which you would do it, and see which one better tends to your needs.

good luck mate, but at the end of the day, they are both great cars and you cant really go wrong!

I understand the obvious problems asking this question here. In fact, I only wanted to see what the people who like honda think of the honda, and I've asked the same from the people from ford forums. All comments have been helpfull to some degree.

I agree with the refined feel of the XR5. I really enjoy the low end torque. I think Im sure on the XR5, but I will be paying a visit to a Subaru dealer tomorrow to see what the WRX has to offer in terms of features, rather than the engine. IMO, the WRX is probably the best choice of the three, but I still dont know about the price.

I'll let you all know soon :D Thanks again, everyone. But opinions will be apreciated so hit me with them, I can take it :D

WATAJK
20-12-2009, 10:50 PM
WRX Ftw...
STI if u can yo lol

Vestri
20-12-2009, 11:52 PM
STI is jsut too expensive. I'll see if I can afford a WRX. The stats on the subaru seem impressive enough for me to want one. But I still think its missing the value for money the XR5 has and the cool interior that the Type R has.... so I guess its an "In the middle" kinda car...

I'll let you all know how it goes when I talk to the Subaru people.

[Cukup-1]
21-12-2009, 01:00 AM
Have you considered second hand (private seller) WRX? i think it would be cheaper than dealer and second hand STI i saw some for around 50,if you can stretch ur budget that far.

Sherweeeny
21-12-2009, 01:26 AM
:thumbdwn:

poor.

poor = your comprehending skills.
let me explain this for the people who cant read between lines. OP's iq is obviously high enough to understand as his reply was more than respectable.

XR5 and CTR = very similar = essentially the same

Turbo (power and torque) > N/A (power and torque)

Therefore: XR5 = win = the edge

Vestri, heres another (however 2nd hand) option to throw into the mix!
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=7916779&__sid=11A0271CE1DC&__Qpb=true&Cr=11&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294967079% 204294954619&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=24&silo=1011

good luck mate!

moons
21-12-2009, 10:08 PM
But due to depreciation on cars, maybe the FN2R.

:confused: Have you priced a second hand FN2 lately?

albii
21-12-2009, 11:25 PM
My 2c...A turbo car is not the be all and end all.
Having said that, the type r falls short against all other cars in the 40-45k price bracket.
All have their pros and cons though .
If you want the best of both the xr5 and type r than an mazda mps is for you.
Great build quality ,interior and sporty looking exterior with performance to make the xr5 run and hide.Also it has heaps of features standard.
WRX ,for how good it goes and handles look like crap and interior is crap, but def bang for buck performance wise.
Also, you might wanna check the safety rating on them.I know mazda mps is 5 stars.

mtonep3
21-12-2009, 11:54 PM
how about a Renault Clio?
they are not bad, front wheels, N/A, very quick - as the hong kong option magazine says, its the "European Type-R"

ViVi
23-12-2009, 03:24 PM
I Guess comparison between a Turbo and N/A is just like comparison between an apple and Orange.

Browse ard, don't narrow yourself to two cars. Try look at Subaru WRX, Mitsubishi Ralliart, Clio Sport, Megane, new Mazda 3 mps, Ford XR5, new gold Gti, and Honda Fn2.

All the car I listed are between 40k to 49k.

Good luck on your car hunting.

drsilliez
23-12-2009, 10:12 PM
My 2c...A turbo car is not the be all and end all.
Having said that, the type r falls short against all other cars in the 40-45k price bracket.
All have their pros and cons though .
If you want the best of both the xr5 and type r than an mazda mps is for you.
Great build quality ,interior and sporty looking exterior with performance to make the xr5 run and hide.Also it has heaps of features standard.
WRX ,for how good it goes and handles look like crap and interior is crap, but def bang for buck performance wise.
Also, you might wanna check the safety rating on them.I know mazda mps is 5 stars.

finally someone else who agrees with me and the mps lol

albii
24-12-2009, 06:30 AM
finally someone else who agrees with me and the mps lol

Dude, the MPS is an incredible little car, an absolute rocketship.
380nm of torque out of 2.3l is awesome, (WRX 2.5 only gets 343nm).
On the highway , a ralliart , megane, gti, XR5 won't touch it plus u can't go wrong with mazdas fit and finish.

tony1234
24-12-2009, 07:23 AM
On the highway , a ralliart , megane, gti, XR5 won't touch it plus u can't go wrong with mazdas fit and finish.
I'm considering the 3 MPS as my next car.

drsilliez
24-12-2009, 09:44 AM

agree and ive been in one and the interior finish esp the luxury with all the leather and red stitchin is freakin incredible. shits all over any of the hondas

(however for some weird reason, i do like the fd2 speedo. space ship like lol)

Philip Lee
24-12-2009, 10:58 AM
i am still getting used to the silly grin on the 3 tho.

and if u talk about interior, Golf shits all over the 3.

albii
24-12-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm considering the 3 MPS as my next car.

Prepared to be dissappointed regarding nvh compared to even the cl9, but huge grin factor is the performance.

albii
24-12-2009, 10:59 AM

GTI ?U wanna check the price of a new GTI, it would wanna be shitting on the 3.

ViVi
24-12-2009, 11:33 AM
I like the idea of Mazda promoting their Mps.

With the luxury pack, you can get Sat nav, Bluetooth, Bi Xenons and Bose Sound system.

danielj
30-12-2009, 01:10 AM
my bro in-law has an xr5, they're pretty fun cars and yes, the low end torque is incredible in day to day driving, especially compared to a type r.
i can't compare with a fn2r as i haven't driven one, but compared with a dc5r, the xr5 is much more of a cruiser and comfy. in the R you have to constantly change gears, whereas in the xr5 you can just stay in any gear and it still pulls you along.
the xr5 definately has more body roll.

personally i'd still go the R, as i'd much prefer the raw feeling of the R.
day to day: xr5 hands down. but the rawness of the R overrides the torque of the xr5 :) for me anyway..LOL

but reading bout your needs, i think the xr5 would suit you best.

hope this helps. haha

jimboturbo
31-12-2009, 05:39 PM
what is all this complete bullsh!t about a turbo car somehow being less reliable or more expensive to maintain?
I won't rabbit on, but essentially over the years i have owned several turbo cars, 3 of them being Saabs, 2 of those being Aeros - High Output Turbo (HOT) models. In my experience cars that are fitted with turbo's at the factory, cars that were DESIGNED to be turbocharged, are JUST as reliable as any N/A car i have owned.

The problems arise when you have people who think it would be cool to boost their P.O.S 20 year old civic, vehicles not meant to be turbocharged.

oh and +1 for the 3 MPS.

albii
01-01-2010, 11:17 AM
what is all this complete bullsh!t about a turbo car somehow being less reliable or more expensive to maintain?
I won't rabbit on, but essentially over the years i have owned several turbo cars, 3 of them being Saabs, 2 of those being Aeros - High Output Turbo (HOT) models. In my experience cars that are fitted with turbo's at the factory, cars that were DESIGNED to be turbocharged, are JUST as reliable as any N/A car i have owned.

The problems arise when you have people who think it would be cool to boost their P.O.S 20 year old civic, vehicles not meant to be turbocharged.

oh and +1 for the 3 MPS.

Spot on...

farkmedead
04-01-2010, 08:29 PM
You could get a 2007 Evo 9 for around the 40k mark. Practically new!

LittleDragon^^
05-01-2010, 09:19 PM

oh and +1 for the 3 MPS.

Spot on...

My current car is an 93 Toyota MR2 turbo and the engine is still healthy even with minor mods - manifold, exhaust, boost controller, b.o.v...

fasthonda
08-01-2010, 03:29 PM

I'm not a fan of VW however I agree with the interior comment.The Mazda 3's interior looks cheap.
A few o/s tests have also shown that a DSG GTI is only a few tenths slower to the 1/4 mile compared to the MPS3.
Touring along winding roads also showed that the GTI was a tad slower but more composed than the MPS3.It appears that torque steer is still an issue with the MPS3.
Just going back to the 1/4 mile figure,the MPS3 seems to be averaging about 14.6 secs in reviews isn't that a tad slow for a 2.3L DI turbo:confused:
Taking into account that it looks like a little station wagon and the silly smiley grille,resale value may also be adversely affected.
The XR5 is a good car,if finances are a concern,at the moment they're $34,990 driveaway however,it does not have the sharpness of the current lsd FN2.
The same with the WRX,fast but not as sharp in the handling and gear changing.Also it does pitch and roll somewhat more than the FN2.