PDA

View Full Version : S2k Gearbox not feeling well

Age_S2000
19-12-2009, 11:53 AM
gday all

my gear box is giving me a little bit of greef

Problem: Grinding into 3rd ONLY @ 8000 or more rpm weather you gently shift or not. how ever driving normally (not in vtec) it does not grind.

Diagnosis: As far as i can tell its possible that 3rd gear syncro or just the bearing is starting to wear causing this problem when its turning fast.

Tryed Solutions: Iv tried replacing the oil with New OEM gearbox oil - didnt work
I tryed adding Nulon Diff & Gear box treatment - didnt work
I tryed today DEXRON 3 - Has Improved but still not gone
May i add since changing to DEX3 all gears are so so so so so smooth to shift in and out of :O
I also adjusted the clutch pedal so it would push the clutch in abit more - didnt work.

Next possible step if no one else has an idea is a place in i belive clayton called HONDWORLD were he has rebuild quite a few S2K diffs & gearboxes

any sugestions or places that do gearbox rebuilds for these

vyets
19-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Syncro is gone longer you drive the more parts will be effected. But you can't know forsure until you pull it apart. I had the same probelm with my old car. Pulled the gearbox opened 2 gears and 2 syncros were damaged, but only 1 gear was grinding.

markis
19-12-2009, 02:12 PM
so is this a common problem on S2000s? syncros dying? is that why the AP2 get CF syncros?

F20C
19-12-2009, 04:56 PM
so is this a common problem on S2000s? syncros dying? is that why the AP2 get CF syncros?

audm ap2's didnt get the cf synchros did they? and yes i know alot of people who own s2k's who have synchro problems.. infact they released TSB's for the problems occering in gearboxes.

markis
20-12-2009, 12:12 AM
audm ap2's didnt get the cf synchros did they? and yes i know alot of people who own s2k's who have synchro problems.. infact they released TSB's for the problems occering in gearboxes.

really? so what did honda do to stop the problem? could owners take them in to get fixed?

F20C
20-12-2009, 10:37 AM
when they released the tsb you could get them fixed i know one person who had got theirs done last year even though the warrenty was over. When i come back home i'll try find the TSB on the net for you and what they replaced to fix the problems.. BTW not everyone could get it done as warrenty is more then likely over just depends on the manager of honda i guess lol.. he was extreamly lucky to have got it done.. they didnt do mine though :(

Age_S2000
20-12-2009, 04:31 PM
heres Honda S2000 all year models TSB's

http://www.tsbdata.com/tsb/2000-honda-s2000-l4-1997cc-2_0l-dohc-vtec-mfi.html

so if any ones having eny of these problems get ur cars to honda asap lol

F20C
20-12-2009, 06:45 PM
thanks age lol kinda saved me the trouble of finding it for the other guy lol.. I wouldnt say asap.. depending on what it is.. if its the common 2nd gear crunch it should be fine for awhile :P mine was doing it from day one.. had a 5th gear problem and i just forced it in and it was working perfectly fine again.. i miss my car :( i should put some pics up of my new one lol..

Age_S2000
20-12-2009, 10:10 PM
enyways back on topic were in Melb can i get my gearbox rebuilt :(