PDA

View Full Version : DC Sports header vs Comptech Header

npcan2
20-12-2009, 02:43 PM
As per title, which one would offer better performance gains and reliability??

I am looking at Heeltoe automotive, and the DC Sports are roughly $300 cheaper than the Comptech ones.

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=660

However, they also state for the DC Sports that "There have also been reports of the exhaust flex pipe breaking over time and needing replacement. Be aware that this header, which it makes power and fits well, may develop a repairable leak after some time requiring a trip to the muffler shop."

Has anyone has this issue, and how much does it cost to fix?

Thanks!

tony1234
20-12-2009, 06:26 PM
As per title, which one would offer better performance gains and reliability??

I am looking at Heeltoe automotive, and the DC Sports are roughly $300 cheaper than the Comptech ones.

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=660

However, they also state for the DC Sports that "There have also been reports of the exhaust flex pipe breaking over time and needing replacement. Be aware that this header, which it makes power and fits well, may develop a repairable leak after some time requiring a trip to the muffler shop."

Has anyone has this issue, and how much does it cost to fix?

Thanks!
I have Comptech header.This i think has more gains over the DC sport and it's stainless steel whereas the DC is ceramic coated.I've had mine on the car for 2 yrs.and no problems.

Type R Positive
20-12-2009, 07:04 PM
I was going to bring this up for you mate, but you already have been warned.....

The yanks recon the comptech is the go, from what i've read.

snYpz
20-12-2009, 08:48 PM
The flex pipe is an easy fix. Didnt cost much at all. From what i recall, the gains are pretty similar. I have read that Comptech seems to rattle, mainly on auto. Thats why i decided to go the DC route. However, as stated by someone else, the DC are ceramic, thus not as durable. I went with Topspeed header from ebay, which is a stainless steel replica of DC but with added durability.
At the moment, im gonna save for a race header and maybe...just maybe manual conversion lol :D

npcan2
20-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I found a Topspeed one on ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-TSX-04-05-Exhaust-Header-Headers-T304-Stainless_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439c15d3d2QQi temZ290381485010QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ 5fAccessories

Would this theoretically have the durability of the Comptech (as it is SS), and the price of the DC Sports? snYpz, how much was the fix for the flex pipe?

Its all so confusing... and I would def need a cat after this wouldn't I? (Sigh)

snYpz
20-12-2009, 10:13 PM
I found a Topspeed one on ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-TSX-04-05-Exhaust-Header-Headers-T304-Stainless_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem439c15d3d2QQi temZ290381485010QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ 5fAccessories

Would this theoretically have the durability of the Comptech (as it is SS), and the price of the DC Sports? snYpz, how much was the fix for the flex pipe?

Its all so confusing... and I would def need a cat after this wouldn't I? (Sigh)

Nah man. its not as confusing as it sounds. The header is easy, i have the topspeed and its still working a treat at the moment. I did have the flex-pipe replaced even before i installed it due to hissing issues notorious in the DC and the replica header (topspeed). Do a search in the thread, im sure i posted something regarding the flex pipe in one of the threads before. You will know exactly what size flex pipe to be asking for to replace. Its a really easy job the exhaust shop can do for you. Of the mods ive done to the car, this was one of the more simple (not that i have done extensive mods, all bolt-ons :))

The cat does not need to be replaced with the street headers. Although i did replace mine to increase airflow. The common cat ppl use are the RT and magnaflow from what i gather. Im using a 200-300 cell cat atm and i think the stock 03-05 is about 600-800 cell.

felixd
20-12-2009, 11:57 PM
top speed is good value for money. it does have the same gain as the DC sport headers. but yeah comptech / CT headers r good for thier quiality i guess :)

tony1234
21-12-2009, 07:10 AM

Topspeed is stainless copy of DC so yes it would be as durable as the Comptech.AS snypz said just take to exhaust shop and they'll replace the flex pipe.Looks like good value at A$175.00 just watch the freight cost which will be approx.same $$$ as the headers.:eek:Just worked out the shipped cost.AU$345.00 to your door.

aaronng
21-12-2009, 07:31 AM
In terms of the piping, the DC Sports itself if as durable as the Comptech. The part that is NOT as durable is the flexpipe. If you replace the flex pipe with a proper double-braided one, then you won't have the cracking issue. If you do scratch or crack the DC Sport's ceramic coating, then you will eventually get rusting. The Topspeed header has the same flex pipe issue as the DC Sports, plus another issue with the flange not being perfectly flat which then causes leaks. That will also depend on your luck if the guy on the production line was feeling happy on the day your header was made in China.

D R U
21-12-2009, 07:54 AM
I think dc sports made a second version of their header with a revised flex pipe?
Can anyone confirm this?

felixd
21-12-2009, 08:44 AM
In terms of the piping, the DC Sports itself if as durable as the Comptech. The part that is NOT as durable is the flexpipe. If you replace the flex pipe with a proper double-braided one, then you won't have the cracking issue. If you do scratch or crack the DC Sport's ceramic coating, then you will eventually get rusting. The Topspeed header has the same flex pipe issue as the DC Sports, plus another issue with the flange not being perfectly flat which then causes leaks. That will also depend on your luck if the guy on the production line was feeling happy on the day your header was made in China.

yeah but quality wise its pretty good for china made stuff

aaronng
21-12-2009, 09:40 AM
yeah but quality wise its pretty good for china made stuff

On mine, the flange was not flat, so it burnt through the metal gasket and also the additional high temp liquid exhaust gasket that I put in. The 4-section to the exhaust port flange is poorly welded such that there is a 0.5mm gap between the pipe and the flange. Doesn't leak out in between the pipe and the flange, but it is not good for flow. All these are minor things that if it was your own product, you would take pride in making it look presentable. I guess that is what you get with the cheaper knockoffs.

npcan2
21-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I think I will get the Top Speed of ebay.
But now, what cat should I buy, and how much am I looking at for a cheap one (as long as its less restrictive and won't break down badly over time)?

Would any of these be good?
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=1691

Also, what size do i need to connect to the stock exhaust? 2.5"?

Thanks

aaronng
21-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I think I will get the Top Speed of ebay.
But now, what cat should I buy, and how much am I looking at for a cheap one (as long as its less restrictive and won't break down badly over time)?

Would any of these be good?
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=1691

Also, what size do i need to connect to the stock exhaust? 2.5"?

Thanks

Go for the Fastline cat as it has a built in defouler so you don't get a check engine light on your secondary O2 sensor.

Aslam
21-12-2009, 06:10 PM
I think dc sports made a second version of their header with a revised flex pipe?
Can anyone confirm this?
Yep thats right. Its called the version 2:thumbsup: where the flex pipe issue is rectified.
Had the header for 3 weeks so far and happy with it.The exhaust shop that did my fitment said the flex pipe looks pretty solid, there was no need for extra reinforcing.
Oh yaa, I gained 8 Nm when compare to my last dyno run.
I will post here if anything untowards happen. :thumbsup:

snYpz
21-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Go for the Fastline cat as it has a built in defouler so you don't get a check engine light on your secondary O2 sensor.

although i have never got a cel and have had the header and cat for 12 months....*touch wood

npcan2
21-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Are there any cheaper cat's out there? or can i just use a test pipe?

snYpz
21-12-2009, 08:10 PM

you can, but the emissions may not abide to the rules set by government...not that they check often though lol...

euromandeluxe
21-12-2009, 08:12 PM
you can, but the emissions may not abide to the rules set by government...not that they check often though lol...

but if you do get caught, prepare to say goodbye to 10k

felixd
22-12-2009, 12:00 AM

Test pipe it :)

aaronng
22-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Yep thats right. Its called the version 2:thumbsup: where the flex pipe issue is rectified.
Had the header for 3 weeks so far and happy with it.The exhaust shop that did my fitment said the flex pipe looks pretty solid, there was no need for extra reinforcing.
Oh yaa, I gained 8 Nm when compare to my last dyno run.
I will post here if anything untowards happen. :thumbsup:
It will take about 6-10 months before you know if it will crack. Report back after that.

although i have never got a cel and have had the header and cat for 12 months....*touch wood
Depends on the cat. The lower the number of cells, the more likely to get a CEL.

If you want cheap, stick to the stock cat.

craze
22-12-2009, 12:46 PM
sorry to hijack thread but how does the J's racing header compare with the Toda header?

aaronng
22-12-2009, 02:26 PM
sorry to hijack thread but how does the J's racing header compare with the Toda header?
J's racing is cheaper but doesn't clear the CL9 subframe. So you need to modify the subframe.

Toda is more expensive and now it even comes in a CL9 version which fits the stock cat on our AUDM models.

craze
22-12-2009, 04:43 PM
J's racing is cheaper but doesn't clear the CL9 subframe. So you need to modify the subframe.

Toda is more expensive and now it even comes in a CL9 version which fits the stock cat on our AUDM models.

Thanks for the reply aaronng would you know how they compare power wise?

aaronng
22-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the reply aaronng would you know how they compare power wise?

I've not seen an Euro go from stock to Toda and J's Racing and dyno in between each to find out the power gain. I have driven Euros having the Toda and Euros having the J's Racing, and both are good (I can't really tell the difference in gain because my bum dyno is not sensitive enough). They are however better than the TopSpeed header in terms of power gain as that was obvious. The Topspeed runs out of steam at high RPM.

snYpz
22-12-2009, 09:19 PM
^ Akina did have a dyno comparing stock to toda if that helps on an auto euro. Gain was 11kw peak from memory.

npcan2
22-12-2009, 09:39 PM
I've decided to order the Top Speed headers, and the Fastline Cat!

Only thing is, i'm not sure what to order for the cat. It gives you 2 options for pipe diameter, 2.25" or 2.5".

here is the link: http://www.heeltoeauto.com/product.php?productid=64768&cat=1691&page=1

Which one do I need?

btw, Thanks everyone for the awesome replies!

felixd
23-12-2009, 01:35 AM
go for 2.25" to close match the end tail of the header :)

snYpz
23-12-2009, 08:29 PM
^ second that, go 2.25.

npcan2
23-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks all, I've just ordered them, I probs wont see them til the new year though :(... Oh well, gives me time to figure out where to get them installed.

Any suggestions? I know of this place 'Dandy Exhaust', and they quoted $150 for the installed of Header + Cat. Can anywhere else beat that?

SPQR
23-12-2009, 11:14 PM
.......Toda is more expensive and now it even comes in a CL9 version which fits the stock cat on our AUDM models.

aaronng, do you have a part number for this particular Toda stock-cat header?

On mine, the flange was not flat, so it burnt through the metal gasket and also the additional high temp liquid exhaust gasket that I put in. The 4-section to the exhaust port flange is poorly welded such that there is a 0.5mm gap between the pipe and the flange. Doesn't leak out in between the pipe and the flange, but it is not good for flow. All these are minor things that if it was your own product, you would take pride in making it look presentable. I guess that is what you get with the cheaper knockoffs.

Well said. And for others considering the knock-off route, don't assume that Chinese 304 grade stainless steel is actually 304 grade stainless steel (which by the way is lowest grade that any self-respecting Aussie might want to use). We've had instances in my industry of supposed 304 or 316 grade stainless steel being supplied from China only to find later that it wasn't; despite what the "Quality Assurance" paperwork said.

Be wary. Quality is not just the superficiality of visible workmanship but extends to the very material used in manufacture.

integral90
24-12-2009, 12:46 AM

J's Racing = Better top end

Toda = Better mid range

felixd
24-12-2009, 02:52 AM
Thanks all, I've just ordered them, I probs wont see them til the new year though :(... Oh well, gives me time to figure out where to get them installed.

Any suggestions? I know of this place 'Dandy Exhaust', and they quoted $150 for the installed of Header + Cat. Can anywhere else beat that?

thats sounds pretty good for the header install mang cuz the euro is kinda fiddlly job to do

aaronng
24-12-2009, 07:24 AM
aaronng, do you have a part number for this particular Toda stock-cat header?

It is on Toda Racing Japan's website.
http://www.toda-racing.co.jp/en/product/ex_mani/k24a-cl9.html

K24A(CL9/CM2) TypeS/200HP Spec Exhaust Manifold (4-2-1 SUS)
Engine type: K24A (CL9/CM2)
Part No.: 18100-CL9-00J
Price: ¥130,000
Size: <Equal length 4-2-1 + Taper> Ø45mm → Ø50mm → Ø55mm → Taper → Ø60mm

craze
05-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Does anyone on the forum know how the maximwork headers compare with the toda and J's racing in terms of power gain