PDA

View Full Version : noob looking for help

act_gooner
20-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Hey guys, sorry this is my first post and I really don't know much about the technical aspects of cars.

I have always loved Integra's and am hoping too buy one soon. Only problem is that I'm a poor Uni student but also want something half decent. Is there a great difference between late 90's vti-r's and gsi's? Would a gsi have a lot more grunt than a 1.8L Lancer MR (have to have a more powerful car than my sister haha)?

Thanks!

northerly
20-12-2009, 11:57 PM
vtir worth the difference 110%, different engine, much better than lancer.

act_gooner
21-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Is the gsi much better than the Lancer though?

WATAJK
21-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Is the gsi much better than the Lancer though?

i wouldn't say by alot more..

quangsuke
21-12-2009, 12:40 AM
would it really matter?

but to answer your question i think the gsi would run faster. just because its non vtec doesn't mean it doesn't go hard. the lancer MR is a good car though, its got some balls.

they both run 1.8L, but because of the integra shell it would have the extra grunt over the MR.

p.s. the driver counts aswell.

altong0840
21-12-2009, 01:47 AM
lancer, my mate called it is jetshit, it is not a bad dailyfor me but it is not a performance car, try the Vtec power and u will love it

act_gooner
21-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for everyone for the suggestions. Problem is I don't think I can afford a vtir anytime soon which is why I'm considering the gsi. Looked up its specs last night on redbook and the gsi still seems to have a fair bit more power than the Lancer MR. There are 2 Integra's I'm looking at on the net. One is a 98 vti-r 9 grand with 170,000 k's and the other is a 97 gsi also for 9 grand but only with 117,000 ks. I suspect I would be able to get the price for the gsi a lot lower than the vti-r aswell.

SHI-FTY
21-12-2009, 05:31 PM
lancer is heaps lighter and would definately win in a quater mile run against a gsi teg trust me ive seen these go b4

V73C
21-12-2009, 08:26 PM
A prancer will always be a prancer. Just get a teg, it'll win in looks, power and comfort more than a lancer MR

BITZRMISN...

SHI-FTY
21-12-2009, 09:16 PM
agreed ^^ but if ur 'only' goin for wats quicker between a gsi n a mr lancer den d lancer but dere ugly imo sorry if i offended any prancer owners lol

dinorider
22-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Here's a reality check. In 1998 when I was looking to buy my first car I looked through the dealer showrooms for fun.

A Lancer MR in 1998 cost about $19,900 brand new.

An Integra VTi-R cost in the region of $39,000 brand new.

The Prancer is a girly shopping trolley in drag. The Honda Integra is in a different class entirely.

EK1.6LCIV
22-12-2009, 02:06 PM
I'd have the most pov car if I was in uni (but seriously even in Brisbane most of these kids live on bus/train lines get excellent concession discounts and still drive cars to a place where they will get dented, possibly stolen, etc..., doesn't make sense lol), no point having anything decent, that's what your first yr out in the workforce should be for lol

but if you had to, anything is better than a lancer, shit I'd rather an integra over the evo lancers lol

Integra is still a shopping trolley/daily grinder/sportish car

both cars hold at least 4 passengers (legally), halfway decent on fuel (apart from a shitty 45L tank, corollas have a 60L tank ffs)

I'd be buying something with dents in it already with no rust that is able to be sold again down the track to a similar market (low budget market/p-plater first runabout)

SHI-FTY
22-12-2009, 04:51 PM
spot on^^^

V73C
22-12-2009, 06:30 PM
But what if he's got money to blow and wants to modify this car while he studies ? Heaps of students do it these days. Id rather blow $200 on a car rather than spend it on drugs and alcohol in one night.

act_gooner
22-12-2009, 11:02 PM
I am getting over 400 a week atm which is alright for a student i guess. have a few grand saved up and have always loved Integra type R's. thought the gsi or the vtir are as close as ill be able to get right now haha. thanks for all the input though.

ASSaZiN
23-12-2009, 12:11 AM
hey i had a 2002 lancer MR, then wrote it off and got a 93 integra GSI, id say power-wise there about the same, had the same mods eg slamed, rims etc, but ive had so much more people saying "hey nice car" to the integra.

but seriously go for the vtir, playing with the vtec crossover is worth the extra cash.

_bORdO_
23-12-2009, 12:39 AM
I'd have the most pov car if I was in uni (but seriously even in Brisbane most of these kids live on bus/train lines get excellent concession discounts and still drive cars to a place where they will get dented, possibly stolen, etc..., doesn't make sense lol), no point having anything decent, that's what your first yr out in the workforce should be for lol

but if you had to, anything is better than a lancer, shit I'd rather an integra over the evo lancers lol

Integra is still a shopping trolley/daily grinder/sportish car

both cars hold at least 4 passengers (legally), halfway decent on fuel (apart from a shitty 45L tank, corollas have a 60L tank ffs)

I'd be buying something with dents in it already with no rust that is able to be sold again down the track to a similar market (low budget market/p-plater first runabout)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

tsg88
23-12-2009, 01:41 AM

Well I left university (used our good public transport during uni :)) and hit a rough patch this year, so my money could only get me a 96 EK Civic with lowish K's, it has no dents but the paint is fading a little :p its pretty awesome as a first car :thumbsup: looks better than my sisters 94 Pulsar and has a lot more go in it... even with the extractors/sport exhaust she has, being an auto hers is real sluggish to drive in comparison. Her car sounds better though, but give me 6 months... hehe.

Not really a fan of 90's Mitsubishi... and there are tons of people with them in my area, mostly female. An Integra would be nicer I reckon.

(Not biased toward Honda or anything, just getting into them now really)

act_gooner
17-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the tips! I forgot my password and haven't been able to log on haha. Still saving and still looking. Found a nice and cheap Prelude, but its only an Si so it doesn't have the V-tec or some of the features; sunroof etc. Also has a large ding in front of the front-left tyre. The car is advertised for 7.5 grand, is body damage usually expensive to fix? The car is a 97 with 168,000 kms.

Vtecyo
23-01-2010, 03:32 AM
u get more respect with a vtec ;)

Honda in general are nicer cars i recon

GSi_PSi
23-01-2010, 04:03 AM
i got about 7.5 seconds to 100km/h with my gsi what does the lancer do?

TheSaint
23-01-2010, 11:30 AM
you can get the 1994 VTIR's hell cheap these days

i paid $12k for mine with 170k km on the clock back in 2006

saw one in a dealer in perth the other day exactly the same with 150k km on the clock for only $5500

shop around ... they are old cars now - you should be able to get a nice clean VTI-R at a good price ... GSI (or almost any car for that matter) will always beat a lancer for looks/comfort/size/performance ... but you will ALWAYS wish u saved a little more and get a VTI-R

PS. the boot in the Dc2 is amazing =)

act_gooner
23-01-2010, 01:40 PM
i got about 7.5 seconds to 100km/h with my gsi what does the lancer do?

According to redbook the MR lancer would do 9.5 seconds. The brand new Lancers have a bigger engine, but only do 9.5 aswell. They look like heavy peices of shit though.

act_gooner
23-01-2010, 01:45 PM
you can get the 1994 VTIR's hell cheap these days

i paid $12k for mine with 170k km on the clock back in 2006

saw one in a dealer in perth the other day exactly the same with 150k km on the clock for only $5500

shop around ... they are old cars now - you should be able to get a nice clean VTI-R at a good price ... GSI (or almost any car for that matter) will always beat a lancer for looks/comfort/size/performance ... but you will ALWAYS wish u saved a little more and get a VTI-R

PS. the boot in the Dc2 is amazing =)

There is a real nice 98 Vti-r in the ACT with 170,000 for 8k. benn watchinh it for a while, i think it was originally 10.5k. got no idea why it hasnt sold because its beautiful, besides the rims. id probably buy it if i had another 2.5k!

I also prefer the Dc2's. I'm actually not the biggest fan of the newer generations.