PDA

View Full Version : Any ways to make the car less noisy inside?

Mr EG
21-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Is there a way to make the car less rattling inside or something like when going over potholes I can hear screws or something, dunno what it is, also when I have loud muffler and inside sometimes I can hear something moving LOL

Giraffe
21-12-2009, 12:54 AM
best to check for screws lying inside your car or maybe coins, give your car a shake and see if you can single out the sound

WATAJK
21-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Is there a way to make the car less rattling inside or something like when going over potholes I can hear screws or something, dunno what it is, also when I have loud muffler and inside sometimes I can hear something moving LOL

ok this will sound weird...
My muffler (4" Cannon) on my laser had somethin fkn going on in there... Eventually i said **** this.. I got a vaccum cleaner, shoved it in, all i heard was all these little bits of metal gettin sucked it.. Was scary tbh how much shit was there..

Started the car... Sounds beautiful :) No dramas since.

^^ Thats guide of what i did, your situation may be different so i nor OzHonda take responsibility if you wanna try it.

altong0840
21-12-2009, 01:08 AM
i think my friend got the same problem before
it is because some material left in the hotdog or the connect point when the piping and the muffler weld together, best way to fix it is bring back to where u did your exhuast and ask them to fix it

xntrik
21-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Get good tyres, some tyres are really noisy. + tyre pressure.
Check to see if there are any lose screws, mud guards; Coins rubbish, glove box!
Engine bay, wires! Make sure theyre all secure!

MWAKU
21-12-2009, 11:59 AM
sound deadner

Mr EG
21-12-2009, 12:24 PM
sound deadner

What's that? And where to get it, how much? I heard of this before but I don't quite know what it is.

lithium
21-12-2009, 12:32 PM
What's that? And where to get it, how much? I heard of this before but I don't quite know what it is.

some people will say 'dynamat', but actually that stuff is more to keep your door panels from vibrating from your fully hectik doof doof than blocking out exhaust/road noise. plus - dynamat, roadkiller et all cost an arm and a leg.

i've used this stuff with good success in a car with an aftermarket exhaust:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CAR-SOUNDPROOFING-UNDERFELT-SUIT-AUTO-CARPETS_W0QQitemZ110469500248QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b87ecd58

i lined the boot floor and spare tyre well with it, and it made a noticeable reduction to exhaust volume inside the car :) if you're really keen you can probably tear up your carpet and lay this stuff under it - but i wasn't that keen :)

Zilli
21-12-2009, 07:53 PM
once every year i actually take off my door trism and other trims and reattach them, tightening screws as i go... depending on your mods (usually lowering will do it) the chassis transmits more vibration and jarring bumps through the car, which loosens things especially in the interior, which creates rattles.... the doors are usually a key culprit

dinorider
21-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Most major step:

get Dynamat/stinger roadkill sound deadener mats and properly deaden the metal body of the car. It's heaps expensive, but highly effective.

If you've just bought the car used, then all the inetrior trim panels will probably be loose. Like Zilli suggested I took take the panels off to refit properly or tighten them every year or so. Bumpy roads do knock interiors loose and they start to creak. And also after 10 years the interiors behind the trim panels will be very dusty. Good time to clean them out. Then there will be full of loose crap hiding under the seats, behind the boot trim, under the centre console, from previous owners dropping crap in by accident.

When I first picked up my car I tore apart the interior, and found a ton of crap hidden in the car. There was: a bunch of hairclips. an AA battery. Some mentos still in plastic wrappers. a broken antenna from a radio control toy. paper clips. OEM clips from the interior trim that broke off and fell into the car. grocery receipts from 10 years ago. taxi receipts. screws. And get this, the funniest thing was a new, wrapped, but expired condom under the rear seat. That was awesomely funny.

Imagine all this crap rattling around making mysterious noises in the car.

Mr EG
22-12-2009, 01:56 AM
True, nice help guys

One thing I picked up today was when I go over a curb on the street to park, and when I come down off the curb, I hear something squashed inside the car, like the trims or something being compressed or creaking noise on the interior, happens everytime when I leave the curb. what can it be? :S

tsg88
22-12-2009, 02:31 AM
I spent today doing just this to my 96 EK, pulled out the center console and everything, found 2 pens, Easter egg wrappers... and a $2 coin, paid $2 less for the car! hehe.

Only thing I can't seem to make quiet is the drivers side vent, it makes a low whistle when you hit the freeway. I get the feeling it may have a leaf stuck in there somewhere but wasn't keen to start ripping the dash apart!

We go through 2 cans of this stuff a year, we use it as a rust prevention/sound reduction double whammy for our 4x4. After we go offroad we just spray a bit over the underbody scratches, 11 year old 4x4 and it has no underbody rust :)

Can't remember how much/can but we just get it from super cheap. Septone Body Deadner I believe its called. Probably a bulk way of buying it to do the whole underbody if it is the solution you are after.

Zilli
22-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Dynamat is actually a tar based product that comes in sheets. Its very plyable and can be moulded to the grooves in the area you are sound deadening (i.e. in doors etc)... This will sound deaden, but it will not completely stop the squeaking and rattling you speak of... the only way to do that is to pull it all apart and reattach

On a side note, does Honda sell the clips we need? i mean obviously they do, but do they sell them individually etc?

migoreng
22-12-2009, 08:19 AM

it's just wear and tear i guess.
older cars probably have slightly loose parts everywhere. when you hit bumps you will get all sorts of vibrations/echos where in a new car you will get solid 'thud' sounds.

just live with it...

dinorider
22-12-2009, 08:43 AM
On a side note, does Honda sell the clips we need? i mean obviously they do, but do they sell them individually etc?

yes they do. I fricking hate, and I do mean really fricking hate with a mighty vengeance, a car that has missing interior trim clips or non standard clips.

Mechanics, installers, home DIYers tend to pull panels apart, break clips, and leave them broken or lost. Gives me the Sh*ts.

When I got my car I made a catalog of every single missing clip on the whole car, then went to the nearby Honda dealer to get replacements. Honda has been using the same style few bunch of clips on their cars for the last 20 years or so. They are always in stock (or can easily be ordered) and cost only $2-3 each.

You either give the guy the part number, or tell him which position the clip comes from. They have a searchable database to find the right ones.

Whatever you do don't go to Repco or supercrap auto and get those generic 'panel pack' sh*t clips/pins. They are never the right size/colour/style and never look good. Waste of money when you can get OEM stuff that fits exactly.

Zilli
22-12-2009, 09:57 AM
thanks mate,

The problem is Honda isnt open during the weekend, daytime trips are very difficult for me... 2-3 bucks PER CLIP... amazing what a rort

dinorider
22-12-2009, 10:16 AM
2-3 bucks PER CLIP... amazing what a rort

LOL mate, yes I know.

If you can find cheaper bulk sellers elsewhere that would be awesome.

But I tried those stupid Repco generic 'panel pack' plastic pins/rivets, went through a bunch of different sizes and none of them looked right or fitted well. Pissed me off. And by then I had already spent like $10 on useless crap clips.

Then I did get pissed off enough to just rock up to the Honda dealer and get the OEM clips. Fitted perfectly, perfect colour match, and was finally awesomely happy.

As for those metal snap clips that hold the interior trim panels in, OEM replacements are pretty much the only way to go. You probably already figured out that if you pull too hard when removing panels those dumb snaps will fly off and shoot away into lah lah land.