PDA

View Full Version : exhuast noise issue, help!

altong0840
21-12-2009, 01:21 AM
i got a problem about how to choose a good muffler, recently i upgraded my EG exhaust system and i choose a muffler that is 2.25 inlet and 4 inch tips, it is too loud and not very nice, and i feel that i lose most power in low rev, the pics of my muffler, it is unbrand and small muffler body

http://elink.crazysales.com.au/ebaypage/products_pictures/23/2354_15094_F.jpg

i cannot listen the music unless i turn it really loud but the exhuast noise is making me mad~ so i want to replace the muffler like this one, it is power pro brand and have a wider body:

inlet 3inch
outlet 3.5 inch

http://i.ebayimg.com/16/!BhgIqNQBGk~$(KGrHqYOKk!Erzp,gyBkBLJZj-rv0!~~_12.JPG

so my problem is :

will the new muffler reduce the noise? is it the bigger (wider) muffler body, the smaller tips, the quiet it would be? my piping size is 2.25 inch

Limbo
21-12-2009, 01:57 AM
larger the body generally the better the noise reduction.
The better the internal material again the better the noise reduction.
Tips don't really do anything other than looks and attracting cops

Here's a cheap trick i learnt when looking for quiet mufflers.

get a friend to yell as loud as you can into the muffler pipe while your standing about 1 mtr away. If you can bearly hear anything then its gonna muffle well.

SHU-ES1
21-12-2009, 10:52 AM
did you do the full exhaust on your EG? you're losing power in the low rev range because there's not enough back pressure in the system so you're losing low end torque hence, meaning your piping is probably too big. did you put in a resonator/mid muffler? your exhaust could possibly be very loud if you didn't have one of these installed when fitting in the new system. if you didn't put one of those in, i'd look into having one installed. the hotdog type resonators don't do much, you should look into a 4"-5" round muffler as a resonator. the larger the muffler, generally the better it mufflers the exhaust sounds.

i did this with my magnaflow system and its not loud while cruising, but opens up quite loud when you gun it! i have 2.25" piping all through with 5" round straight through midmuffler/resonator and a 5"x8" oval muffler out the back and it sounds great! let us know how you go buddy.

altong0840
21-12-2009, 11:03 AM
did you do the full exhaust on your EG? you're losing power in the low rev range because there's not enough back pressure in the system so you're losing low end torque hence, meaning your piping is probably too big. did you put in a resonator/mid muffler? your exhaust could possibly be very loud if you didn't have one of these installed when fitting in the new system. if you didn't put one of those in, i'd look into having one installed. the hotdog type resonators don't do much, you should look into a 4"-5" round muffler as a resonator. the larger the muffler, generally the better it mufflers the exhaust sounds.

i did this with my magnaflow system and its not loud while cruising, but opens up quite loud when you gun it! i have 2.25" piping all through with 5" round straight through midmuffler/resonator and a 5"x8" oval muffler out the back and it sounds great! let us know how you go buddy.

yea~ mine is full exhuast system and i put the resonator on my new system as well, i will redo the piping to 2 inch and so do u think the new muffler will help to reduce the noise a bit?? cheez

OMG.JAI xD
21-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Any muffler with a straight thru design will be loud. Doesnt matter the size of the inlet or outlet.
It will be louder than stock. Those types of mufflers shoudnt really be called mufflers but amplifiers. As it amplifies exhaust noise.

The best low noise mufflers. Is an xforce varex with an internal butterfly to redirect flow or a twinloop exhaust. Both doesnt compromise performance.

SHU-ES1
22-12-2009, 10:52 AM
piping will affect the sound a bit, but i wouldn't bother wasting the money on it. i'd look into getting a different resonator. perhaps get a bigger muffler as a resonator, either straight through or straight through with offset/offset inlet/outlets. it will help reduce the noise your exhaust makes as well keep the flow from restriction. you should also change the cannon muffler out the back cos that is probably your main cause for the loudness of your system and being such a small one doesn't help your cause.

those little resonators don't do much, if anything at all. i had the same problem as well when i did my whole system and took a while switching around to get the best note and performance out of it. best to do a bit of research on it, and even watch some youtube clips before buying your next muffler and resonator (midmuffler).

if that were mine, i'd change your resonator to a bigger muffler - maybe 5" round straight through or offset inlet/outlet but still remaining straight through - and i'd definately look into changing the rear muffler to a xforce varex if you want control of the sound externally or a twin loop style muffler. but if you want to keep the cannon style look, just get a bigger one as the bigger the muffler, the more they muffle the sounds.

here's what mine sounds like with xforce 4-1 header, 2.25" stainless steel downpipe with 100cpsi VENOM highflow metal cat, 2.25" mild steel press bent exhaust system with 5" round straight through magnaflow resonator/midmuffler 12865 and 5"x8" oval muffler out the back 14818. i had an apexi n1 system initially k and wasn't bad until i changed to a high flow cat, and that made it so farty and very loud it was unbearable that i had to redo the whole system but i'm enjoying how it sounds now. not too loud when cruising, but loud when i want it to be. if you want more details, let me know cos i got both the mufflers for a decent price. good luck with it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Yo4-DbERc